AI Fleet Buildup

AI Fleet Buildup (basics); support/discussion/questions

Moderator: thunderchero

Gowron
Code Master
Code Master

AI Fleet Buildup

Post by Gowron »

Class means somethin like "Defiant" or "Galor".
Type means something like "Scout" or "Strike Cruiser".

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

During the creation of the BoP mod, I've spent some time testing how the AI would react to certain changes in the ship lineup. I'll post the results here, maybe some of you may find it useful :)
  • The AI cannot decide to build a certain ship class, it can only decide to build a certain ship type. It will then build the first ship of this type in the shiplist that's available (i.e. the one with the lowest ID).
  • The AI will build more ships if the ships are cheaper. On the other hand, maintenance costs seem to be neglected, and I'm not sure if the AI even has to pay the full maintenance.
  • Some ship types must be available to the AI player before it can build certain other ship types. The AI player might still occasionally build a ship of a type whose "prerequisite type" is not available.
Prerequisites

A scout must be available so that destroyers can be built.
A scout and a destroyer must be available so that cruisers can be built.
A scout, a destroyer and a cruiser must be available so that strike cruisers or battleships can be built.

For example, if an AI player only has access to a scout type ship and a cruiser type ship, then it will exclusively build the scout.

EDIT:
For in-depth information see here:
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=707
A discovery consists in seeing something everybody has seen and at the same time thinking something nobody has thought yet.
hgradeca
Cadet 4th Year
Cadet 4th Year

Re: AI Fleet Buildup

Post by hgradeca »

Spocks-cuddly-tribble wrote:
Gowron wrote:The AI cannot decide to build a certain ship class, it can only decide to build a certain ship type. It will then build the first ship of this type in the shiplist that's available (i.e. the one with the lowest ID).
A really rare phenomenon in advanced empire-setting AI games:

The AI stop build lowest available ID cruiser and build some higher ID cruisers (cheaper/older).
How to explain this (Not a Feds Utopia problem!) ?
That's right - I've noticed this thing with both Federation and Romulans - they suddenly started to build older cruisers instead of newer ones...
Is there an explanation?
redhat1968
Ensign
Ensign

Post by redhat1968 »

Is there a way to make the AI build less ships? While playing as the Feds, I was on level 3 and had maxed out ship production from my 4 dilithium mines and put up 3 cruisers along with several scouts and detroyers each up against 18 Galor class cruisers. The result is not even close. That was just one Cardie fleet as I had other smaller enemy fleets meanacing fringe borders. Gowron said it was unsure whether the AI paid maintainance on ships or is this the solution. I want to make the game starting from level one, more balanced, earlier in the game instead of avoiding combat with majors at all costs. Thanks for the help.
thunderchero
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Location: On a three month training mission, in command of the USS Valiant.

Post by thunderchero »

A question like this may take a few days to get a reply if not a week or more for technical fix if possible.

there is no need to double post the exact same post in different section.

But first you might want to try to start at a lower dificulty level.

Also this would be a low priority for most since most player want AI to build more ship. :wink:

thunderchero
JeanLucPicard1
Commander
Commander

Post by JeanLucPicard1 »

Gowron, I just changed all my scouts to cruisers for the Cardassians and they still built cruisers without having the scout type available. According to your statement, this shouldn't be possible since, "a scout and a destroyer must be available so that cruisers can be built."
thunderchero
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Location: On a three month training mission, in command of the USS Valiant.

Post by thunderchero »

I would guess that since you removed all scouts the prerequisite has been meet since there are no scouts available.

thunderchero
Spocks-cuddly-tribble
Code Master
Code Master

AI Fleet Buildup Fix

Post by Spocks-cuddly-tribble »

Gowron wrote: Sat May 03, 2008 8:25 amThe AI cannot decide to build a certain ship class, it can only decide to build a certain ship type. It will then build the first ship of this type in the shiplist that's available (i.e. the one with the lowest ID).
Ds:5B4864 list_buildable_ship_IDs (sorted by shiplist.sst IDs) is used for AI fleet buildup (and the starting ships via type).

Researching certain upgrades corrupts the list sorting (until re-loading the saved game):
hgradeca wrote: Sat Jun 21, 2008 10:11 pmI've noticed this thing with both Federation and Romulans - they suddenly started to build older cruisers instead of newer ones...
Outdated ID deleted & new upgrade ID added to END of list (so AI builds older ships of the same type instead of the new upgrade). :mad:

Code: Select all

NAME: AI Fleet Buildup Fix
DESC: Keeps the AI from building obsolete ships when unlocking certain upgrades of the same type.
AUTHOR: Spocks-cuddly-tribble
URL: https://www.armadafleetcommand.com/onscreen/botf/viewtopic.php?p=57382#p57382

>> 0x52054 68
<< 0x52054 C8

>> 0x51DD3 E9 2B
<< 0x51DD3 49 2C

#00452C53   E8 C8290000    CALL 455620  // new empire tech ships fix
#004529D2   E8 492C0000    CALL 455620  // minor evolution ships fix
I don't know how many bugs is too many but that point is reached somewhere before however many in BotF is.

Return to “AI Fleet Buildup (basics)”