Linux problems/solutions please post them here

The latest information on how to install the game (All in one Installer) and mods.

Moderator: thunderchero

QuasarDonkey
Code Analyst
Code Analyst

Re: Linux problems/solutions please post them here

Post by QuasarDonkey »

Yes, in the downloads section, you'll see a section called GUI Improvements. You'll find all the higher resolution mods there.

Note you need to install both the original 800x600 mod first, then the 1024x768 mod. So you need UDMIII first, then UDMIII_1024.
obbiie
Cadet 2nd Year
Cadet 2nd Year

Post by obbiie »

Thanks!
drokmed
Ensign
Ensign

Post by drokmed »

OMG!

I can't believe I'm back to this point again! Microsoft!!!!!! You have FAILED US!!!

The absolute best way to play Star Trek Botf is from linux! I've run linux for years, and botf runs great on linux.

I recently fell from grace LOL. Like a dork, I wiped my primary hard disk drive, which was running Debian linux, and installed Windows 7. Hours, and hours. Installed updates, and more updates, and more updates. Took forever. Finally, it was done. I had a valid windows 7 desktop. Yip yippity yay. We're done. Right?

With a fresh win7 install, download botf from this site, and play. Start out with vanilla, and then try some mods. Sounds good, right?

WRONG! Windows 7 is terrible at running botf. Frequent crashes, gets worse further into the game. Crash! Crash! CRASH! By the time you hit turn 50, you're reloading the game every other turn. CRASH! Unplayable.

I also bought a new laptop, which came with Windows 8. I can tell you Startrek botf is unplayable on win8. Mouse is not compatible with game. Sluggish to the extreme, unplayable.

Where were we? Oh yeah! Run the game from linux!

---------------------------

I'm thinking about writing up a how to for a windows7->virtualbox->debian/wine install. I ran it for a long time, and not only stable, was fantastic.

I'm old school, UNIX and Linux, prefer Debian and BSD. I think I'll write a Debian Jessie how-to first. It's been stuck from stable for a long time now. BSD is cleaner, maybe I'll work on that first.

Anyone have any preferences?
Raider Echo3
Cadet 3rd Year
Cadet 3rd Year

Re: BotF on Linux

Post by Raider Echo3 »

Hi to All,

I am running BotF with Wine on Ubuntu for years. It's great, with a screen bigger than the resolution of BotF (most likely 800x600) everythings okay.
Now I am running two Majors in Multiplayer. I've tried it with Wine, but stopped early with network setup. Two different sessions of Wine are needed, also two installation of BotF (just copy/paste/edit ini). My knockout was to setup virtual networks with different ip adresses. Not my strong side.
So I installed VirtualBox. One PC didn't like my virtual xp mashine at all, on the laptop with new Ubuntu Mate it's running great (who understands those pc's nowaday any more...).
I didn't get the virtual network running - again I failed, how knows why? So I activated serial connection with the virtual xp and the multiplay is running.
I had some trouble with game crashes, but a posting from Thunderchero(?) which says be carefull with saving games, don't override game slots, ... lets me use a procedere which is working fine so far:
- save only in free slots
- save only while no player is waiting for next turn
- save every 10 to 20 rounds

My current xp machine conf:
Adim rights
no/only internal network connection (better none, since xp as admin is harakiri)
1280MB RAM
64kB graphic, 800x600 resolution, windowed mode
Serial port: max throuput (115xxx b/s or so), com1 for player 1, com2 for player 2 - game suggests com3 instead of com1, how knows why?
CPU is running on power saving mode unter Linux, but laptop is getting hot anyway. The VMs itself were using appr. 20% cpu usage each, but that depends on VM/host installation, configuration and CPU of host hardware.

Seamless mode runs too, but BotF is then centered on screen. Not a good choice when controlling two majors.

I didn't test more than two VMs/Players. Micromanagement is taking hours... (with modded botf on 86x?? galaxy)
hc289
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Post by hc289 »

I keep getting freezes running under wine, after about 90ish turns i press 'turn' and the starfleet-badge freezes which the turn is processing, i get a windows error and have to quit :-(

Has anyone had this / got a solution? I installed 'BOTF_1.0.2_English_German_e.exe' with straight wine
cleverwise
Captain
Captain

Post by cleverwise »

What version of WINE?
Hailing frequencies close,

Jeremy
Whether you rise or fall depends on... you!
hc289
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Post by hc289 »

➜ ~ wine --version
wine-1.9.7
cleverwise
Captain
Captain

Post by cleverwise »

hc289 wrote:➜ ~ wine --version
wine-1.9.7
Did WINE recently get upgraded by chance?

Jeremy
hc289
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Post by hc289 »

Sadly not, that's the version I installed it with - i have had one successful game to about 210 turns but the next two have both frozen and crashed around the 90 mark
cleverwise
Captain
Captain

Post by cleverwise »

hc289 wrote:Sadly not, that's the version I installed it with - i have had one successful game to about 210 turns but the next two have both frozen and crashed around the 90 mark
Well I would try using PlayOnLinux (PoL) and select an older version of WINE to see if that helps. It seems some of the newer versions break things.

Jeremy
thunderchero
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Location: On a three month training mission, in command of the USS Valiant.

Post by thunderchero »

hc289 wrote:after about 90ish turns i press 'turn' and the starfleet-badge freezes which the turn is processing, i get a windows error and have to quit
have you edited anything? it almost sounds like a corrupt saved game.

also you might attach your saved game so other can test to determine if crash is system/os related.

I could also suggest general solutions, but not sure if they would even work on Linux.

such as install directx redist package and or create profile with in your video settings.
Warrgod
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Post by Warrgod »

Hello, I have a Windows 7 PC, and when i log in, i get sound; although, it's skippy. I have no picture though. Just a black screen. I updated my Nvidia drivers, and it says they were successful, yet still a black screen. My brother downloaded, and installed on Windows 10, and it worked no issue.

Any help out there by chance?
thunderchero
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Location: On a three month training mission, in command of the USS Valiant.

Post by thunderchero »

Warrgod wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:24 pm I have a Windows 7 PC
this is Linux problems/solutions topic, so post has been moved to Sound skips with black screen. please reply in that topic.
Warrgod wrote:1 time=1493331871 user_id=19526]
i get sound; although, it's skippy. I have no picture though. Just a black screen.
I have 3 things for you to try,

1. open stbof.ini in install path and on the line;
SOUNDON=ON
change to
SOUNDON=OFF

Close and save and retest.

2. open stbof.ini in install path and on the line;
MOVIEON=ON
change to
MOVIEON=OFF

Close and save and retest.

3. download attachment "Mss32.zip" in this post
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=3528#p47746
extract and replace file with same name in install path
and retest

Please let us know if any of above fixed your issue.

Also did you install/using DxWnd?

thunderchero
alexred
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Post by alexred »

One of the main drawbacks of Linux based OS is booting errors that are very frequent for most of the users. They definitely need actual suggestions recommended by Adobe error df024 that will help them to recover their issues easily.
corporal_Canada
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Post by corporal_Canada »

i just installed Ultimate Dominion Mod 5 (with dx wind) on my linux mint and i get the following error message
ST:BOF Tue Sep 28 08:48:13 2021

Version Under Test: 72
File: dounzip.c, Line: 421, \STBOF.RES
Initialize State: 0
Player Empire: 1 Starting Seed: 0
Galaxy shape: 0 Galaxy Size: 0

Return to “Game Installation, Technical Support, & Tutorials”