Info on DxWnd proxy (solves most windows 8/10 issues)

The latest information on how to install the game (All in one Installer) and mods.

Moderator: thunderchero

thunderchero
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Location: On a three month training mission, in command of the USS Valiant.

Info on DxWnd proxy (solves most windows 8/10 issues)

Post by thunderchero »

Info on DxWnd proxy

The proxy use 3 files to allow proper running of game

Fullscreen proxy uses these 3 files
dxwnd.dll (main proxy file, same file for fullscreen and windowed modes)
dxwnd.dxw (configuration file with settings, different file for fullscreen and windowed modes)
winmm.dll (this is the fullscreen proxy file, different file for windowed modes)

Windowed proxy uses these 3 files
dxwnd.dll (main proxy file, same file for fullscreen and windowed modes)
dxwnd.dxw (configuration file with settings, different file settings for fullscreen and windowed modes)
ddraw.dll (this is the windowed proxy file, different file for fullscreen modes)

If you are wanting to switch between fullscreen and windowed mod
all 3 file need to be removed from install path Before adding other proxy files (files are in tools folder "dx proxy files" folder)
Note; to use DxWnd GUI or to add MPR++, the proxy files should not be present in install path
Or you can uninstall and reinstall and select different option.

Outdated info below

Hi Everyone,

with the release of new Multi Installer with DxWnd, I thought I would cover some basics of DxWnd.

when DxWnd is added by Multi installer, the DxWnd folders/files will be placed in your BOTF folder.
folders.jpg
folders.jpg (282.18 KiB) Viewed 34206 times
Multi installer will also add shortcuts in your start menu Microprose/DxWnd/ and desktop (optional during install)

To play Birth of the Federation using Dxwnd all you need to do is start DxWnd using one of the shortcuts.

in DxWnd window
dxwnd.jpg
dxwnd.jpg (76.43 KiB) Viewed 34206 times
if you see a Green icon on left that version is installed and configured properly
if you see a gray icon on left that version is either not installed or not configured properly

If you change install path you may need to modify path used by DxWnd.
if icon is gray when a mod is installed check install path in DxWnd, select then right click in drop down menu select modify then change path setting.
change install path
dxwnd.jpg
dxwnd.jpg (156.79 KiB) Viewed 35517 times
to start a game just double click version with green icon

DxWnd should be ran as administrator

The trek.exe in install path (vanilla or mod) should not have any compatibility settings selected in properties

do not combine other fixes such as wine files, dgvoodoo2 files or MPR++ when using DxWnd

Pre-loaded versions

Birth of the Federation (aka vanilla)
Error correction mod
Ultimate Dominion mod (Normal and large versions)
Balance of Power (Normal and large versions)
All ages mod (Normal and large versions)
Ultimate mod 5
Galaxy mod
Uncivil wars (Normal and large versions)
Flagship mod (Normal and large versions)
No Building Upgrade mod (Normal and large versions)
Thunderchero Multi-player mod
If you want any others mods added to pre-installed list just ask.

vanilla and mods must be installed to play

Note: DxWnd will not fix turn processing/combat processing time later in the game. currently there is no fix for this problem. :mad:

here is separate download for DxWnd
windowed setting version
dxwnd_windowed.zip
(1.81 MiB) Downloaded 1765 times
fullscreen setting version
dxwnd_Fullscreen.zip
(1.81 MiB) Downloaded 3859 times
EDIT; If you are having issues using fullscreen (game displaying in upper left corner) you can simulate fullscreen by changing setting as described below.

select mod in DxWnd you want to modify right click entry and select "modify"
on main tab check
"run in window"
"Fullscreen only"
"desktop"

now the issue using this configuration is if you take a screenshot image it would be at desktop resolution. So DxWnd is stretching game to your current desktop. With this configuration game does not look as good as it did at proper resolution.

if you want to keep aspect ratio check the "keep aspect ratio" box.
thunderchero

Re: Windowed Mode/no mouse lag in windows 8

Post by thunderchero »

original DxWnd post,

Hi Everyone,

For those interested in DxWnd a new version has been released. I am just posting a pre loaded version with some of the more popular mod (dxw files already loaded).

DxWnd should be ran as administrator

The trek.exe in install path (vanilla or mod) should not have any compatibility settings selected in properties

do not combine other fixes such as wine files, dgvoodoo2 files or MPR++ when using DxWnd

notable changes:
setting for fullscreen changed, now pre-loaded settings allow usage of start button to minimize game. :wink:
all preloaded setting will read BOTF GUI so no need to edit resolution within Dxwnd.
all pre-loaded settings included -MUDD

files now part of new Multi installer

Pre-loaded versions

Birth of the Federation (aka vanilla)
Balance of Power (Normal and large versions)
Error correction mod (Normal and large versions)
Ultimate Dominion mod (Normal and large versions)
Ultimate mod 5
Galaxy mod
All ages mod (Normal and large versions)
Uncivil wars (Normal and large versions)
Flagship mod (Normal and large versions)
If you want any others mods added to pre-installed list just ask.

vanilla and mods must be installed to play

If you change install path you must modify path used by DxWnd.
change install path
dxwnd.jpg
dxwnd.jpg (156.79 KiB) Viewed 34208 times
thunderchero

Note: DxWnd will not fix turn processing/combat processing time later in the game. currently there is no fix for this problem. :mad:
ratdog
Cadet 2nd Year
Cadet 2nd Year

Post by ratdog »

Hi, I tried DxWnd using the settings you suggested above on my computer that has windows 8 however it comes up with an error message saying that it has stopped working. I used it on the Hades version so I'm going to test it on a vanilla install now.

Edit;
I just re-tested it with a vanilla installation and it is now working. However it does lag very slightly - but no where near as much as it lagged when I loaded up the game without the DxWnd.
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

Hi Everyone,

DxWnd has been updated several time since I have updated link here. first post has been edited with latest files.

thunderchero
Cralecan
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Post by Cralecan »

Hi thunderchero,

this seem to work, but unfortunately i have the mousearrow as well as the gamecursor in game. this is irritating as hell, although the mouse is moving smoothly...
do you have an idea how to get this right?

ok, found it myself. in the tab input hide cursor visbillity.

it finally works :)
robquery
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Re: Windowed Mode/no mouse lag in windows 8/10

Post by robquery »

Not a real tech savy guy. haven't worked with .rar files before how do I install them? will I need to get a rar file reader? if so which one?
oh btw I need to download dxwnd to fix mouse problems I am having in vanilla game on win7 64bit
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

robquery wrote:Not a real tech savy guy. haven't worked with .rar files before how do I install them?
these files are not "installed" they only need to be extracted.

a rar file is a compressed group of files (zip file) it just uses a different compressor but most zip programs will extract .rar files
robquery wrote:oh btw I need to download dxwnd to fix mouse problems I am having in vanilla game on win7 64bit
unless this is something new I doubt dxwnd would help. Are you talking bout turn lag on larger maps after turn 200 or so?

thunderchero
robquery
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Post by robquery »

I am having the same mouse issues as WoofSonofDog from Dec 20 2014 windows 7 problems thread

After installing BoTF using the multi-installer, I seem to have an issue where the mouse cursor does not appear unless directly over a button, though at times it "flickers" as I move it around the screen. This is annoying, but I can live with it if needs be, but I also have an issue I have noticed that when on a large map, any time I have a ship selected, or I mouse over anyting that is selectable, the mouse seems to lag.

I am not using a gaming mouse, and am using NVidia GeForce gt 610 and latest drivers
can u suggest a zip/unzip program if I need it
robertbc73
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by robertbc73 »

Can botf be run in windowed mode in windows 7?
"Understanding is a three-edged sword."
Kosh from Babylon 5
LordKamino
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Post by LordKamino »

Hello Guys,

boft/udm is running on my new PC (Win10) but I have still the mouse lags.

I downloaded the dxwnd, extracted it, using the Settings but the trek.exe is not running now. If I close the dxwnd all is fine again but still have the lags.

Can you help me pls?
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

Hi LordKamino,

1. dxwnd need administrative privileges
2. if install location is different from default you need to modify dxwnd settings
LordKamino
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Post by LordKamino »

Hi thunderchero, thx alot for your response!

1. done
2. the location is the same.

I guess the software of the dxwnd is the problem. The compatibility is max on win8 (I need win10). I can't increase it.

Do you have some other suggestions?

Thx again!!
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

LordKamino wrote:Do you have some other suggestions?
check "all" trek.exe's and turn off all compatibility settings, they are not needed with dxwnd and could interfere.
dxwnd only needs administrative privileges no other modes

download and install directx redist package.
you could be missing some of the older directX files so you may need to install this
DirectX 9 redist

this is directx 9 redist package this will not change your current version of directX but update any missing files for direct play that directx 10/11 no longer supports.

also here is latest version of dxwnd

windowed
See first post for latest links

fullscreen
See first post for latest links
LoneTower
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Post by LoneTower »

Greetings all,

I've recently dug my copy of botf out after a nostalgia kick. Really do love this game, though it's been a while.
I am just desperate for help with 2 things: First and foremost the mouse lag, then secondarily the minor race no contact bug (I can put a 2nd post later for this if you want).
My problem is all the fixes I've tried to find either do nothing or make absolutely no sense to me (probably some combination of both in each instance).
Just to confirm, I'm running windows 10 on a 32bit. Prior stuff I've tried include the ECM/ECML download, but they don't even try to start when clicked on. The botf patcher app I found on another site same thing; try to activate and a big fat nothing.

Which brings me to the current issue here - I have downloaded the full screen dxwnd and extracted all the files. But when I launch the app file, I don't get anything that looks like the menu screen posted in the OP. All I get is a small window titled dxwnd that has a list of what appear to be all the mods with green circles filled in on botf, ecm, and ecml. I've tried clicking on any of the options in the menu dropdown, but again none of them have any functionality.

If I had hair, I'd be pulling it out right now. Please, any Obi Wan's out there, help me! And if possible, talk to me like I'm 4 and have no idea what I am doing, cause. . .
Thanks in advance.
Angelwitch
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Post by Angelwitch »

Great stuff, thanks for this. I recently upgraded to a new graphics card and new drivers and ever since, I have suffered the mouse lag problem, although in Win 7. This tool has sorted it for me and I can continue playing BOTF smoothly and with no problems!! :grin:

Return to “Game Installation, Technical Support, & Tutorials”