Info on DxWnd proxy (solves most windows 8/10 issues)

The latest information on how to install the game (All in one Installer) and mods.

Moderator: thunderchero

Axis
Commander
Commander

Re: DxWnd pre-loaded for BotF (solves most windows 8/10 issues)

Post by Axis »

BTW, I think thunderchero is still on that three month training mission in command of the USS Valiant thirty years from now, in his wheelchair :grin: .
I think it is a secret federation mission he is performing. :wink:
Impress the Empress.
thunderchero
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Location: On a three month training mission, in command of the USS Valiant.

Post by thunderchero »

Hi Axis,

My first question would be do other mods still work?
if they are working properly than I would suspect your changes are causing CTD.

It can be very difficult to track down these errors. most issues like this require removing changes one by one testing between each change.

I am guessing no error logs in install folder? But the windows event log still might be helpful.
If the trek.exe is the faulting application the "Fault offset:" is the assembly address of the fault causing CTD. this might give a general idea of change that created your issue.

good luck
Axis
Commander
Commander

Post by Axis »

Well, I did not change anything but the resolution (only change was the 1366 resolution which comes within the newest installer) in the AFC mod, but it gave me the blue screen as does the vanilla.
The other mods do work, at least in the beginning, I haven't had the time to investigate any further.
This originally began after me having changed the chalnoth.tga image slightly and adding it into the game, vanilla (I was testing the 2560X1440 resolution, it worked fine until this change, both vanilla and modified ECM and unmodified AFC-mod stopped working).
What I suspect is the updates of windows itself, I mean, I had windows 7 installed when this happened, I even installed 10, but the problem remains, it kinda just popped up after major updates of windows.
Impress the Empress.
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

Axis wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:06 am Well, I did not change anything but the resolution.....
The other mods do work, at least in the beginning, I haven't had the time to investigate any further.
sounds like you do need to investigate further....

when it come to editing resolution it is tricky since missing images and wrong image size was never anticipated by developer, so no error log code was written.

as for windows update, I would expect video driver updated also and may no longer support 2560X1440?

when replacing images on higher resolutions mods this topic may help explain some changes that are needed.
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3557#p47791
Axis
Commander
Commander

Post by Axis »

I tested this with updating my radeon software this morning and the installer threw up blue screen on windows itself, operating system stopped working totally, I had to revert back to the updates before.

The symptoms point to video driver, I have an old video card and these newest updates seem to mess it up.

I remember the last update before this one experienced a "some items could not be installed/ program not fully installed"-problem.
After that BotF began to show these blue screens to me.
Last edited by Axis on Mon Feb 13, 2023 6:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Impress the Empress.
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

yeah my system is running an older video driver since last summer.

you might try replacing with older driver

older radeon drivers are harder to find.

here is link to nvidia older drivers
https://www.nvidia.com/drivers/beta

my currently working installed version is 17.11.2
Axis
Commander
Commander

Post by Axis »

It was the files I added, that caused the blue screen/crash at startup of botf, I reverted to files before and it worked.
Now I have a different kinda problem, regarding the dxwnd, I'm trying to mod the game to use 4K resolution (3840X2160), resolution patcher works ok, I have added the wdfs into the game.
The game starts slow but allright without dxwnd, but when using dxwnd, it has centered the actual game, whilst the image is in the corner.
I have the 1920X1080 patch already at the bottom (this is the beginning of this modification).
I mean, the buttons location do not match with the actual game, and when in the game, the navigational circle pops up in the corner of the game,
while I press the button in the middle of the screen.
How do I get past this dilemma, are there any settings in dxwnd to adjust in order to have everything in right place, or is it locked down into 1920X1080 resolution which is allways centered, no matter how large is the set resolution of the game?
Impress the Empress.
Axis
Commander
Commander

Post by Axis »

Sorry, I solved the beforementioned myself, I had 125% view on in win10, when I reduced it to 100%, the game started working, it now works properly.
Merry Xmas :wink:
Impress the Empress.
NitrousUK
Cadet 2nd Year
Cadet 2nd Year

Post by NitrousUK »

I'm having an issue with DxWnd (AIO fullscreen version) not setting the screen resolution to that of BOTF. This results in a native monitor resolution, and the game running in the middle portion of the screen. Since I'm using a 4k screen, the game ends up very small even at 1366.
I tried the settings of "Run in window", "Only fullscreen", and "Desktop" in DxWnd as mentioned previously. Which seems to set the resolution correctly (or scales up BOTF to the fill the screen) however the screen does not update. I can click on menu items (with a sound) but the screen doesn't update at all. I tried a newer version of DxWnd without success.
Anyone else have this issue or any suggestions?
Many thanks in advance!
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

Hi NitrousUK,

You should check your display adapter to see if it supports 1366 x 768, I just noticed that the new amd radeon driver no longer supports 1366 x 768. :???:

so this would be expected, you might try the universal 1920 x 1080 patch to see if that would go full screen.

If this is the issue, complain to AMD Radeon support to support 1366 x 768 again. btw this is the 3rd or 4th time Radeon has dropped support for 1366 x 768 and brought it back next release.

thunderchero
Killer
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Killer »

Hello, I have recently reinstalled BOTF on my old laptop using the All in one installer 1.0.0 I selected the Ultimade MOD5 and when everything is installed I got an icon on desktop for UM5, Vanilla and DxWnd. However if I try to launch either vanilla or UM5 using the icon, nothing happens. If I go to the appropriate folder and launch trek.exe, the game launches. I checked those icons and they lead to the DxWnd directory. Any idea what may be wrong? Do I even need the DxWnd on Win7?
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

what is the launch path of icon (right click select properties)

as for using DxWnd on windows 7, no you do not need it as long as there is no issues. it was mainly added for windowed mode on windows 7
Killer
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Killer »

Hello, I apologiye for the late answer. Path to thr UM5 MOD is C:\hry\botf\tools\dxwnd_Fullscreen\dxwnd.exe /R:9
pt9999
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

botf on windows 10

Post by pt9999 »

Hello fellow trekkies, as you all probably know, we are all currently sitting at home in quarantine with lots of free times on our hands. In my boredom I have decided to start playing my favorite childhood games again, one of which is BOTF. I have a windows 10 laptop and I downloaded the multi-installer of BOTF from this site that has all of the mods. The game itself and all of the mods work perfectly with the exception of the fact that their is an unbearable amount of mouse/arrow key lag on the galactic screen. The game never crashes, and there is barely any/no mouse lag on the tactical, system, intelligence, research, or main menu screens. However, the mouse lag on the strategic/galactic screens is making the game really hard to play. I am reading through all of these forums and trying to find solutions but some of them aren't really helping. I tried to download and install the dgvoodoo thingy but every time I try to do so, my computer' automatically deletes the app when it tries to install because it tells me that the application was a virus that tried to attack me. I am not very tech savy and I am desperately trying to play BOTF without any issues. If anyone knows how to make BOTF run perfectly on Windows 10, please let me know ASAP. I would greatly appreciate any help/advice/solutions. Thank you.
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

Hi pt9999

no need to post same question over and over, this could just get your question ignored

but you should have read first post of this topic and used DxWnd

if you downloaded the "all in One" installer uninstall everything then reinstall "tools" first in option page select if you want full screen or windowed

after that you can install any or all versions.

Return to “Game Installation, Technical Support, & Tutorials”