Info on DxWnd proxy (solves most windows 8/10 issues)

The latest information on how to install the game (All in one Installer) and mods.

Moderator: thunderchero

pt9999
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Re: DxWnd pre-loaded for BotF (solves most windows 8/10 issues)

Post by pt9999 »

Sorry about that, thank you so much for your help :)
Krip
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Post by Krip »

Hello

I just installed the game from your site , loved the mods you guys did a really nice job
but I am having problems playing the mirror mod
for some reason you you try to move the ships the mouse moves realy slow making it very hard to sent it where you want.
thunderchero
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Location: On a three month training mission, in command of the USS Valiant.

Post by thunderchero »

how are you starting game? the start menu and desktop shortcuts use a command line to start DxWnd.

to be sure you are using DxWnd you can open and run game from the DxWnd program exe from "tools" folder.
Krip
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Post by Krip »

thanks using the toos folder solved the lag issues and the game runs smoth now, but its not opening full screen lol
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

Krip wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 3:00 pm thanks using the toos folder solved the lag issues and the game runs smoth now, but its not opening full screen lol
use DxWnd.exe in "dxwnd_Fullscreen" folder
saxbend
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Post by saxbend »

thunderchero wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2016 6:59 pm
captaindusk wrote:Now it displays right but the mouse cursor doesn't work properly. I can hover over the controls but the buttons won't light up and therefore the game is unusable. Another DxWnd setting which I'm missing?
try unchecking modify, "input" tab in "cursor handling" section, line with "correct mouse position"

let me knows if that works

thunderchero
Hello. I've run this updated version of the game many years before, on the same PC running Windows 10, and then decided to come back to it again. As far as I remember it worked ok before. I did a fresh reinstall, using the new 2023 version, and am having the same problem described above, namely that while I'm having no problem controlling the game's cursor with my mouse, the option buttons on the menu screen don't light up when the cursor hovers over them, so I can't perform any actions. Right-clicking doesn't do anything either, though if I remember correctly, it's not supposed to until a game is in progress. I installed DxWnd and made the setting change suggested above, deselecting "correct mouse position", although I found it on the mouse tab, not the input tab. But that has had no effect. I'm probably not doing it correctly though as I can't run the game from within DxWind. Only separately.

Should I just uninstall everything completely, delete the whole folder and then start again making sure I install the tools and the vanilla version at the same time? Incidentally I didn't choose to install any of the other available versions. Vanilla is good enough for me for now, though after a while I may try some of them out.

Thanks for your help!

P.S. I installed it at the highest resolution setting available, in case that's important. My own Windows display is set to 1600 x 900
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

saxbend wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 6:09 pm P.S. I installed it at the highest resolution setting available, in case that's important. My own Windows display is set to 1600 x 900
you should install 1366 x 768 if your max display is set to 1600 x 900

you should also check if 1366 x 768 will work on fullscreen if not you will still be able to use windowed mode
viewtopic.php?p=53092#p53092
mrakness
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Re: Info on DxWnd proxy (solves most windows 8/10 issues)

Post by mrakness »

Hi everybody,

I got an issue with DxWnd, when trying to run game from it, in windowed mode, it just doesn't start. No error, nothing.
And sometimes it just works, very annoying tbh. Also, is there a way to lower the resolution, since the icons and UI is tiny for me in 1920:1080?
Many thanks!
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

mrakness wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 6:21 am I got an issue with DxWnd, when trying to run game from it, in windowed mode, it just doesn't start. No error, nothing.
And sometimes it just works
installer version info?
if you are using latest version the proxy file will conflict with running from DxWnd gui
mrakness wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 6:21 am is there a way to lower the resolution, since the icons and UI is tiny for me in 1920:1080?
during install you have 4 resolution options. If you have a 1920 x 1080 monitor, I suggest installing 1366 x 768 this works very well in windowed mode on 1920 x 1080
mrakness
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Post by mrakness »

thunderchero wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 9:15 am
mrakness wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 6:21 am I got an issue with DxWnd, when trying to run game from it, in windowed mode, it just doesn't start. No error, nothing.
And sometimes it just works
installer version info?
if you are using latest version the proxy file will conflict with running from DxWnd gui
mrakness wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 6:21 am is there a way to lower the resolution, since the icons and UI is tiny for me in 1920:1080?
during install you have 4 resolution options. If you have a 1920 x 1080 monitor, I suggest installing 1366 x 768 this works very well in windowed mode on 1920 x 1080
Hello, thanks for the feedback. I've managed to run it well now, but for UM5 mod, how can I make the icons of the vessels bigger? They're small, compared to vanilla, which is kinda bummer. Thanks.
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

mrakness wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 9:55 am but for UM5 mod, how can I make the icons of the vessels bigger? They're small, compared to vanilla, which is kinda bummer. Thanks.
if you are not already you should use the beta version installer, it fixes may issues on UM5
viewtopic.php?p=59466#p59466

as for icons they can be replaced, but I don't have any larger replacement icons for UM5

Edit;
you can hex edit trek.exe to use larger icons
hex edit trek.exe at 0x17f17c and 0x17f1ac (Both positions are needed)

31 33 -> 32 36
spirit464
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Post by spirit464 »

I've some problems with DXWnd. Shortcuts are not created on desktop and there is no entry in start menu.
Starting from C:\botf\tools\DxWnd\dxwnd_Fullscreen manually in admin mode, does start DXWnd but mods can not be startet - no reaction after clicking on one of that mods.

What are typicall culprits here? Usinig Win 10 and Installer 2.0.3
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

I reread your post and this sound strange the installer will run a separate exe to setup (shortcuts, start menu and registry) for the uninstaller
It sounds like this might not have run properly during installation. does your install path have a file named "unins000.exe"

if using DxWnd GUI you need to remove proxy files from install path

Fullscreen proxy uses these 3 files
dxwnd.dll (main proxy file, same file for fullscreen and windowed modes)
dxwnd.dxw (configuration file with settings, different file for fullscreen and windowed modes)
winmm.dll (this is the fullscreen proxy file, different file for windowed modes)

Windowed proxy uses these 3 files
dxwnd.dll (main proxy file, same file for fullscreen and windowed modes)
dxwnd.dxw (configuration file with settings, different file settings for fullscreen and windowed modes)
ddraw.dll (this is the windowed proxy file, different file for fullscreen modes)

have you tried to run the trek.exe from install path

Return to “Game Installation, Technical Support, & Tutorials”