(Updated 9-26-16) Ultimate Dominion mod III 3.0.1ddb

Ultimate Dominion Mod; showcase and support/discussion/questions/suggestions/reviews

Moderator: thunderchero

count23
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Post by count23 »

Righto.. I uninstalled UDM and installed a_b, but it didnt actually load, CTD every time i tried to start the game, up, i reinstalled b then installed a_b over the top and it started working, go figure.

Anyway, i have noticed a bug... i think, i can't seem to liberate any home systems for other empires? I was playing as an ally of the federation against the dominion... could liberate every planet after i drove the dominion invasion back, except Sol. I could only capture it.

Is this by design or a bug?
Mentat
Commander
Commander

Post by Mentat »

@count23

Ermm, that really doesn't bode well. I mean the way you installed UDM.
Q1:
You are using the multi-installer version?
Q2:
You have chosen the right video-settings?
Q3:
Any form of crashlog available?

You really shouldn't install one version over another.

Regarding the bug, that is a broadly known BOTF bug/flaw, but one that looks like it was set up by design.
Dominion Wars - Scenario
to be released for UDM3.0.1a !
thunderchero
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Location: On a three month training mission, in command of the USS Valiant.

Post by thunderchero »

count23 wrote:Righto.. I uninstalled UDM and installed a_b, but it didnt actually load, CTD every time i tried to start the game, up, i reinstalled b then installed a_b over the top and it started working, go figure.
Sounds like a corupt download I would suggest redownloading and uninstalling then reinstall with new download.

here is a break down of file name.

"UDMIII" mod name
"3.0.1a" mod version
"_b" installer version

and saved games will not work with new version.

thunderchero
count23
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Post by count23 »

Mentat wrote:@count23

Ermm, that really doesn't bode well. I mean the way you installed UDM.
Q1:
You are using the multi-installer version?
Q2:
You have chosen the right video-settings?
Q3:
Any form of crashlog available?

You really shouldn't install one version over another.

Regarding the bug, that is a broadly known BOTF bug/flaw, but one that looks like it was set up by design.
Yes

Yes

No (Just a windows event. "This Program terminated unexpectedly, trek.exe... bleh, bleh, bleh").

As for the known bug, I could have sworn in vanilla i used to be able to liberate homeworlds, is this an intermittant bug or have i just never paid attention?

EDIT: *snaps fingers*

That reminds me, i did see a bug last night that may be worth mentioning. I conquered an AI world (Dominion), and i found that it had a subspace scanner AND it's upgrade in the same system, both powered and running.
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

count23 wrote:As for the known bug, I could have sworn in vanilla i used to be able to liberate homeworlds, is this an intermittant bug or have i just never paid attention?
Talk about timing Spocks-cuddly-tribble just posted a fix for this and will try to work it in with mentat's canon saves.

liberating foreign home systems (fix)
count23 wrote:That reminds me, i did see a bug last night that may be worth mentioning. I conquered an AI world (Dominion), and i found that it had a subspace scanner AND it's upgrade in the same system, both powered and running.
This is a vanilla bug and was taken care of by the resorting of structures that was done in this last update.

thunderchero
count23
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Post by count23 »

thunderchero wrote:
count23 wrote:As for the known bug, I could have sworn in vanilla i used to be able to liberate homeworlds, is this an intermittant bug or have i just never paid attention?
Talk about timing Spocks-cuddly-tribble just posted a fix for this and will try to work it in with mentat's canon saves.

liberating foreign home systems (fix)

count23 wrote:That reminds me, i did see a bug last night that may be worth mentioning. I conquered an AI world (Dominion), and i found that it had a subspace scanner AND it's upgrade in the same system, both powered and running.
This is a vanilla bug and was taken care of by the resorting of structures that was done in this last update.

thunderchero
Lol, perfect timing indeed, wasnt' it?

I'm not sure about the subspace scanner thing being fixed tho, i was playing on a game on a_b version. tho considering mine is dodgy, i wouldn't take that at face value until i can reinstall it properly.

In regards to bug fixes, just out of curiosity, were any of the known memory leaks fixed in UDM 3? Vanilla leaked like a sieve, and UDM, the last time i played it on XP 64 in July, had substantial problems, but it doesnt seem to anymore. The only other thing i can think of is that Windows 7 really does streamline performance. Because i can play with all settings on, large-large galaxy and still have fast smooth gameplay.

My box is only a Q9550 with 4gigs ram, but it was like that when it was on XP and slowing down like a mofo....
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

count23 wrote:I'm not sure about the subspace scanner thing being fixed tho, i was playing on a game on a_b version. tho considering mine is dodgy, i wouldn't take that at face value until i can reinstall it properly.
Agreed, But I was just in a huge map game about 200 turn and was getting bored any way. So I switched races (all of them) and not one out of place structure(30 systems per race still). so if it is not completly fix it is much better than it was.
count23 wrote:In regards to bug fixes, just out of curiosity, were any of the known memory leaks fixed in UDM 3? Vanilla leaked like a sieve, and UDM, the last time i played it on XP 64 in July, had substantial problems, but it doesnt seem to anymore. The only other thing i can think of is that Windows 7 really does streamline performance. Because i can play with all settings on, large-large galaxy and still have fast smooth gameplay.
Nothing was done to fix memory leaks but I am sure as more bug fixes are found that it might improve. (I hope)

thunderchero
count23
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Post by count23 »

thunder:

Out of curiosity... why was the Borg cube made into a sphere instead?

As well, is it possible to change the "random turn" the borg appears on? I was having a fun little game with the impossible AIs at tech 1, the borg came in about turn 100 and kurb stomped the Dominion Romulans and Cardassians, by they got to me, 10 spheres attacked my empire simultaneously.
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

count23 wrote:Out of curiosity... why was the Borg cube made into a sphere instead?

Because we could :wink:
count23 wrote:As well, is it possible to change the "random turn" the borg appears on? I was having a fun little game with the impossible AIs at tech 1, the borg came in about turn 100 and kurb stomped the Dominion Romulans and Cardassians, by they got to me, 10 spheres attacked my empire simultaneously.
other than turning borg off in stbof.ini there is no way to control how many or when borg appears.

thunderchero
ZeroChance
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by ZeroChance »

So I've been playing a few sp games since the new update came out and I must say I love the new Dominion and Federation interface.

I managed to convince myself to play as Roms for a game and came across a potential bug, but it could just be an oversight on my part. The Cards declared war against me immediately after first contact and I began a campaign to conquer Cardassia Prime (I always chop off the Cards head first if I can). After my successful invasion I found that the "Protectorate Headquarters" building for subjugated systems was not in the build list.

Not sure if this is a vanilla bug or a UDM bug, or meant to be.

Edit: In previous conquered systems (native Cards and their subjugated minors) I have been able to build the protectorate headquarters.
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

ZeroChance wrote:I found that the "Protectorate Headquarters" building for subjugated systems was not in the build list.

Not sure if this is a vanilla bug or a UDM bug, or meant to be.
Not so much a vanilla bug but conqured home worlds have there own setting seperate from subjugated systems. A seperate building would be needed for conqured home worlds. (and none are availible)

thunderchero
mickar
UDMIII tournament winner
UDMIII tournament winner

Post by mickar »

T4, med, irreg, hard, many, playing as Rom:

Turn 46 I was able to conquer Dom:
Mentat
Commander
Commander

Post by Mentat »

Ermm mickar yes I can see the result, but what is your conclusion from this? Is it an AAR or a Feedback on the mod?
Is it good that this is possible or do you think it should be harder to accomplish? I am obvioulsy missing the point you made.

Thinking about MP games, a conquest of an AI Empire in a T4 game should be fairly possibile in that number of turns. *shrug*
Dominion Wars - Scenario
mickar
UDMIII tournament winner
UDMIII tournament winner

Post by mickar »

I would say it's a strategy to employ in a mp game.

Since ai only powers 9 orbs, conquer a major then use their industry and research to overpower your opponent.

I used rom to illustrate their dill advantage. The ability to pump out 5 tt per turn when necessary gives them an advantage in conquering an ai.

EDIT: Personally, I thought I did it fairly quick. I'm sure you can post a similiar result in 46 turn as rom. Looking forward to your posts Mentat. :wink: :wink: :wink:
Mentat
Commander
Commander

Post by Mentat »

While I doubt I can do it in 46 turns, at least on a first try, I fear I won't have the time to do any kind of test like this until my scenario is finished. Of course, for the UDM MP tournament, some games on UDM in advance wouldn't hurt.

I am wondering though, whats different between UDM and Vanilla in this matter? Vanilla powers up only 4 Orbs if I am correct, and you need a lot more TTs to conquer a fully fledged colony or the homeplanet in UDM. But after all the Dilithium advantage is practically the same.
Dominion Wars - Scenario

Return to “Ultimate Dominion Mod”