(Updated 9-26-16) Ultimate Dominion mod III 3.0.1ddb

Ultimate Dominion Mod; showcase and support/discussion/questions/suggestions/reviews

Moderator: thunderchero

orion69
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Re: (Updated) Ultimate Dominion mod III 3.0.1dc

Post by orion69 »

any way to play this on an iMac?
thunderchero
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Location: On a three month training mission, in command of the USS Valiant.

Post by thunderchero »

orion69 wrote:any way to play this on an iMac?
you might be able to play with a windows XP virural machine. But I know nothing about using them and not many users who use iMac here.

thunderchero
Flocke
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by Flocke »

there have been some topics for playing botf on mac already, search the forum

e.g. here are some topics you might want to check:
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=1829&hilit=mac
viewtopic.php?f=21&t=1321&hilit=mac
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=1871&hilit=mac

ofc you need to see how to adapt the mod, can't tell on that, I have no Mac ;)

HTH
QuasarDonkey
Code Analyst
Code Analyst

Post by QuasarDonkey »

:arrow: wine is a program for running Windows programs on Unix-like operating systems, including Linux, BSD, and Mac OS X.

I haven't tried BotF on Mac yet, but it should run with wine if you have an Intel Mac. I run BotF on Linux with no major trouble.

Your main options are: PlayOnMac, WineBottler, or figure out how to run wine manually.

The alternative is as thunderchero said: run Windows in a virtual machine. This may or may not work too well. The last time I ran BotF in a Windows 7 VM using VirtualBox on Linux, the sound was choppy, but the gameplay was smooth enough.
ruthlessferengi
Multiple Tournament Champion
Multiple Tournament Champion

Post by ruthlessferengi »

something i discovered playing with Gentle today... his kling scouts lost range and were trapped in my territory... I kept hounding him with my ships and he would retreat. But then he changed his tactic... He just pressed hold while cloaked and i could not tartet him even after several turns. he could have stayed there forever and not retreat. If this design is by intention, then this gives unfair advantage for the cloaked races. cloak should have a limit for 1 turn or at least for finite number of turns while in battle.
Relevance is a post hoc phenomenon

На безптичье и жопа воробей...
Ancient Klingon Battlecry
thunderchero
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Location: On a three month training mission, in command of the USS Valiant.

Post by thunderchero »

ruthlessferengi wrote:He just pressed hold while cloaked and i could not tartet him even after several turns. he could have stayed there forever and not retreat. If this design is by intention, then this gives unfair advantage for the cloaked races. cloak should have a limit for 1 turn or at least for finite number of turns while in battle.
it was not intended for this, I suggest an agreement when in MP games "not to use hold in this way". I see no advantage unless cloaked ship is raiding and did not want to move from that position?

this feature was designed to be used by strike cruiser to sit out of range and target other ships.

But I doubt there would be any way to limit how many turns a player could use hold before decloaking.

currently only other option would be to remove hold command from command list.

I would treat it like edo god training (cheating)

thunderchero
gentle
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Post by gentle »

I think this is just a way, a bug if you want, to counter the other "bug" with the moral boost you get if you harass minor races ship. If you got the luck to have a couple of minor races with ships around your starting point you can go to fanatic moral in 10-20 turns just from harassing them. A solution could be that no morale bonus should be apply after a fight if no ship was damaged, but then.. the cloaked races will have again an advantage and i don't think this could be done with the game. I rarely use the harass bug in games because i am a gentle guy who prefer to take minors with diplomacy. The hold command i use when i have a starbase and ships in the same battle.. this make the opponent to come closer after the first turn and enter the effective range of the starbase. In a fight involving cloak ships+starbase versus enemy there is a big disadvantage for cloak ships... basically the first strike who should compensate the fragility of rom and kling vessel is wasted.. because of the large space between you and the enemy, so the hold command is useful to keep the first strike advantage(the cloak ships take some damage from the enemy attacking the starbase, even if the ships are cloaked) This i think is just a struggle for morale. I was trapped with some ships out of range after i lost an outpost and rf keep boost his morale forcing them to retreat. After couple of turn of retreating i just use the hold command, and wait. By the way, for how many turns a battle could last? Anyway.. i would send a petition to the Olympic Committee at Lausane trying to solve this issue :smile:
zoommooz
Cadet 2nd Year
Cadet 2nd Year

Post by zoommooz »

Running UDM 3 with the 1024 for it installed, and are getting constant crashes on the tactical screen.

1. Previously, in combat I would get crashes, especially when a particular ship exploded, but with save, could eventually get through.

2. Now, I am in a large battle with 44 enemies, 8 cruisers and one orbital station on my side. I got repeatable crashes, so I have been searching through the forum. After reading, I went into compatibility and changed to 98, and the battle did last longer, around ten turn, then crash. Changed 3d render from software to 3ddirect, 3dfx, still no good. Now, no matter what my settings, this fight crashes turn two, right when every ship fires (so screen in full of weapons fire). In the UDM folder I got a crash doc which states:

ST:BOF Mon Apr 8 18:00:13 2013

Version Under Test: 72
File: tcmath\tcmath.c, Line: 34, REAL_GE_ZERO(value)
Initialize State: 31
Player Empire: 1 Starting Seed: 1365394137
Galaxy shape: 0 Galaxy Size: 2
Turn State: 20
Turn Number: 118

Lastly, when I load the game, there is a lot of flicker, and I can barley see the menu. Once the menu is selected, there is no problem loading game, using the map etc, only tactical problems. My vid driver are the latest, but I must admit to have display driver problem in general with my computer lately, which may also have something to do with this. Any help would be great.

Edit, I also had mpr++ installed, and having read some more it seems that some stability issues can arise. I am reinstalling to see if removing this helps.

Edit 2: After complete reinstall, I applied mpr++ with no 1024, and combat now works. I cannot access ships in research screen until one battle has taken place, but that's only a small thing. So, it looks like, for me at least, that the 1024 patch was the problem, shame. :sad:
Last edited by zoommooz on Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
Sweethawk
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Sweethawk »

Hi people,
My brother and I have played again BOTf. We have played for UDM III on large Galaxy to end it hardly 198 round battle between Romulans and Klingons. We recorded it and uploaded on my YouTube channel. We come to a total of 886 ships. The 3D space battle mode took four hours until we were finished. I have reduced it to 23 minutes and not crashed. ! BEST MOD EVER!

Here is the link to just the super-hard space battle.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2BNjdX5y2JI

Link in the next few days will promise .

Sweethawk
Last edited by Sweethawk on Sat Apr 13, 2013 2:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Flocke
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by Flocke »

massive battle, sadly I barely can watch it, it is blocked here due to the music
using proxy I only managed to get a snap on low quality
Sweethawk
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Sweethawk »

Flocke wrote:massive battle, sadly I barely can watch it, it is blocked here due to the music
using proxy I only managed to get a snap on low quality
Sorry Flocke ! The video will be reviewed ! Link in the next few days will promise . I am just looking for royalty free music .

Sweethawk
Sweethawk
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Sweethawk »

Hi people,
As Promised I have edited the video and it is now finished.
I also have a Let´s Play Star Trek Birth of the Federation UDM III [German] made.
Who has the pleasure to watch so you can !

BotF Massive Battle Highlights Rom vs Klingon (886 Ships Fight) ---Link---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2BNjdX5y2JI

Let´s Play Star Trek Birth of the Federation UDM III [German] ---Link---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eAl8FlkP ... 9D&index=1

Do they still have a nice day :)
Flocke
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by Flocke »

managed to watch it this time, quite an impressive battle! :up:
but the fps slowdown is just horrible with so many ships :lol:
Martok
Rear-Admiral
Rear-Admiral

Post by Martok »

Thanks for the link Sweethawk. I'm still amazed the battle didn't crash your guys' game!
"Evil is easy, and has infinite forms." -- Pascal
Elite
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Post by Elite »

I seem to be having a problem with my saved games. It seems to save them correctly when playing, but if I exit the game and reload, all my saved games are gone. Is there something im doing wrong? Or a fix I should try?

Many thanks

Return to “Ultimate Dominion Mod”