UDM Dominion War Scenario Beta Test - for 3.0.1c and 3.0.1d

Ultimate Dominion Mod; showcase and support/discussion/questions/suggestions/reviews

Moderator: thunderchero

ZeroChance
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by ZeroChance »

Well, here's my first report:

I started my first game as Feds and played about 130 turns. Met the Roms at about turn 35, and signed a few non-aggression treaties with them until around turn 120 when they decided to remain neutral. As Feds, I quickly signed treaties with Andor, Vulcan, Benzar, Bolarus, Denobula, Orion, Tellar, Baku and had met countless others. I am almost on the verge of first contact with the Klings and Cards, but am building up a sizable armada first.

As for the gameplay, it has an authentic feel so far (for someone who isn't totally infatuated with ST cannon). I actually felt excited to play a sp game just to see how close to the known universe I could make the game. So far so good.

I decided at turn 130ish to call it a day, but not before turning on the -Mudd cheats and checking out how everyone else was doing. I took a screenshot and everyone is doing well except the Dominion.

The only thing the Doms have going for them besides being isolated is that their fleet is twice the size of any of the other powers... but they have only 5 systems. No doubt this is an issue with the AI being dumb so that shouldn't be an issue with mp. It does suck for sp unless you are playing as Dom, I assume.

My next step will be to play as Dom, I want to see how it goes on that side of the galaxy.
Brodibble
Cadet 3rd Year
Cadet 3rd Year

Post by Brodibble »

Been playing cardies for about an hour and noticed that i can't build redistribution centers in systems where i've had to terraform the class M planet(s) in the system.

Other than that so far so good. Will try the other 4 races over the next few days.

good job! :D
robert_defore
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by robert_defore »

Ok , Played all night last night w/ the Feds. The location of unnamed minors and friendly minors helped to guide the Feds into a canon expansion toward the Toms at first and the Klingons later.

I felt as though there was a real need to rush colonize worlds that are near a rival power. Early on I felt the need to colonize worlds closer and closer to Rom space to avoid them getting a foothold to close to Sol.

I have not felt pressed to colonize toward the Klingons as yet, dont know this may be a mistake, will see. Dont want to -Mudd quite yet so as to not ruin the uncertainty of my advances yet.
Mentat
Commander
Commander

Post by Mentat »

@ZeroChance:

I am on a Fed game aswell, turn 143, and MUDD shows pretty much the same situation as you have. All do well, but Dominion is stuck with 5 systems and a fleet of 75 ships orbiting the Omarion system. Thats not very promising and I will likely need to fix a few systems to be easier to colonize in the vicinity of the Dominion. The AI normally works well for the Dominion in that isolated situation, since before I changed every single system, it did develope very well in all tests. I will play this game at least another 300 turns and look if they do any better then.

I have found one more issue, at least in my game, the Romulans. While doing well, they are not taking the way down to colonize towards the Klingons. Thats really a shame, since some of their core systems are located there.

Klingons and Cardassians are evolving as they should pretty much strictly canon borders. Trill and Maquis are at war with Cardassians, interestingly Bajor is on neutral terms with the spoonheads and not conquered. Maquis pretty much instantly declared war on Federation aswell when I "met" them, which coincidented with my first border disputes with the Cardassian Union.

@Brodibble and "No distribution centers on terraformed M class planets": Thats not good, but I think I can live with it.
Dominion Wars - Scenario
to be released for UDM3.0.1a !
Tethys
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by Tethys »

Mentat, a possible solution to the Dominion could be to change the AI ship build list (in trek.exe using UE) and set the build for Unopposed Expansion, Normal Expansion, and Normal Consolidation to include more Colony Ships and TT's. (Not sure if this will work for saved games, effect more support ships built.)

If that doesn't work then you could try extending the range of the Colony Ships and TT's so they are Long range to allow the to travel farther (also possibly increasing their speed as well). (Certain this will work for saved games, unknown effect.)

Now if THOSE dont work, you can then in stbof.res using UE go to Edit > AI > Colony Value and play with the colony values for the Dominion only and see if they decide to take your advice lol... (Not sure if this will work for saved games, effect race colonizes planets farther away from home system, especially if high amounts set to Dilithium and High Industry.)
Not for the weak of heart...
Galaxies MOD v0.4.0 <--- GALM/Galaxies Mod latest version
ZeroChance
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by ZeroChance »

Well I've been playing as Doms, about 160 turns. I made first contact with the Cards via the bajoran wormhole... they are... not nice. They haven't declared war but are trying to intel me and have signed an affiliation treaty with the Feds.

It seems that I'm having a bit of trouble keeping up with the AI powers as Dom. I'm on a constant trek south in the hopes of meeting the Breen so I can build ships faster, but things are slow going. In mp I see the Doms having somewhat of a disadvantage compared to the other powers. Not having a minor or two nearby might be the biggest issue for a T1 game.

When I used the -Mudd cheat this time, the Roms were way behind. Mentat, I had also noticed in my Fed game that they weren't expanding towards the Klings despite being on par with the other powers. In this game, they just weren't expanding and by turn 160ish less than 10 systems but a fairly large armada.

It'd be cool to have this map balanced for sp, but I'd hate to see those changes negatively change the mp playability.
mickar
UDMIII tournament winner
UDMIII tournament winner

Post by mickar »

I've played fed, card and now dom. Fed seems the easiest as there are plenty of minor near that are easy to member.

I'm on about turn 150 as dom, and while still ahead on retire screen of kling/card/rom, i'm way behind of fed. The problem I see with fed is there is too many friendly minor near. And since the game starts on t1, popped minor become more important. A popped vulcan, around turn 60 has type 5 of everything while sol is still at type 2.
Tethys
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by Tethys »

I think the Doms need some minors near them as well.. Maybe should get permission from TC to replace some of the lesser seen minors of DS9 (Gorn, Caldonians, Denobulans, Tanugans, Sona?, Zakdorn?) for Dominion-specific races (Karemma, Dosi, Wadi, Yaderans, Teplans) and place them around the Dominion in their respective places... Just a thought...
mickar
UDMIII tournament winner
UDMIII tournament winner

Post by mickar »

I havent met any minor yet as dom. I did go through wormhole but decided not to meet card. I've got 18 systems and am just busy researching and building up my empire.
malishious_intent
Cadet 2nd Year
Cadet 2nd Year

I'd love to do some testing.

Post by malishious_intent »

As the title says i'd love to have access to the saves to do some testing. I Read alot here but in the past haven't posted much. That could change I guess. I am most interested in play testing the Romulans (my favorite) and to see about the issues that have been mentioned so far.
Tethys
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by Tethys »

I did a scan of the map and it looks good, but it could be better. Not complaining ;)

And that map, Mentat, is basically a remake someone made of Geoffrey Mandel's Star Trek: Star Charts published by Pocket Books. At least thats what his website said.
ZeroChance
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by ZeroChance »

After playing as Klings, I think the only other expansion issue other than the Dom and Rom we've encountered is that Kling - Fed under AI control don't seem to move towards each other. Both expand in a North - South direction.
Other than that, I enjoy the feel of the map so far and can't wait to try it out in mp. It would be cool to get 5 players in on a game, although that might end up being a coordination nightmare.

As a human playing Kling, there aren't many minor races or ready to colonize systems, but the systems nearby all have decent to high populations once terraforming is complete - which is good. A little expansion towards the Feds and you can conquer or member the Yridians, the Son'a and the Naussicans. South and you've got the Gorn. I think Klings are in good shape even the AI.

The AI Cards still do not declare war on - or conquer the Bajorans. I played the Cards a bit and you can conquer bajor early if you want. Morale stays around defiant in the system though, until you can build the jalanda forum. Other than that, playing as Cards is pretty similar to the other powers, a few minors and decent sized systems to colonize... with the AI Dom not expanding it makes the wormhole easy access to systems across the map.

Next, I do suppose I will play as the Roms and give a report on any weird behaviour... the AI Roms don't seem to want to expand all that much...
mickar
UDMIII tournament winner
UDMIII tournament winner

Post by mickar »

Finally met card turn 178 as dom. They have 7 systems vs my 18. 88 to 11 my military, 78 to 21 economy, and 52 to 47 my research to his. Neither of us has any minor.
robert_defore
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by robert_defore »

OK , FEDs , turn 200. Checked and the DOM are still only getting around 5 systems up and going. Though I must admit most races are building the crap out of ships. Even with only 5 systems the DOM still have about the same size fleet as the rest. CARD expansion seems cannon though the ROMS and KlINGONS are not.

Again , with the FEDS , I feel pushed toward ROM and DOM early on with the minors joining. However, I feel no need to push toward the Klingons. Perhaps a more advanced game where FED territory blocks the west expansion path for Klingons and Romulans would force them to expand south and east for the Roms and North and east for the Klingons.

The Large number of minors near the Feds does seem to really give them the upper hand early on. I am able to colonize every single planet in range and ignore my fleet until some minors join , then easly catch up to the Romulan and Cardassian Hordes.
mickar
UDMIII tournament winner
UDMIII tournament winner

Post by mickar »

Ok, tried fed again this time knowing where all the minors are and not wasting precious resources in colonizing.

Turn 117 I have popped vulcan, benzar, andor, tellor, orion and risa. My retire line is way way ahead of everyone else. I haven't met any other major on purpose and they havent sent scout my way either.

Return to “Ultimate Dominion Mod”