new udm d version...

Ultimate Dominion Mod; showcase and support/discussion/questions/suggestions/reviews

Moderator: thunderchero

ruthlessferengi
Multiple Tournament Champion

new udm d version...

Post by ruthlessferengi »

windowed version rocks, haven't testing in mp yet (gentle, xdx, zero, where art thou's?) ...
on first look, just very cursory, re: klings...
they still have (at level 5) max pop 530, flagship hull is weak (1207 vs 1358 d, 1280 f, 1526 c), beams are only marginally better 14/58 (vs 12/54 d, 12/47 f, 12/42 f) - probably ok IF there is ramfix AND/OR they have sig better agility... don't know if this is substantial improvement on klings to make them equally playable in this version of udm in mp...

nice to see t2 speed 2:) will make takeover easier... a bunch of starting ships on t5 - would not know what to do with them:) so many, can't wait to try out... lets give it a go...
Relevance is a post hoc phenomenon

На безптичье и жопа воробей...
Ancient Klingon Battlecry
gentle
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Re: new udm d version...

Post by gentle »

of.. cmon 9 starting systems, so many ships.. this ruin the S in a TBS game.. is more like a shooter now :(
gentle
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Post by gentle »

after 1 hour play and 7 turns ended.. it`s all to much.. :( i don`t wanna be rude so, the graphics are spectacular, nice TT with speed 2, interesting new combat options but i don't think we will manage to end a game with this version RF :(.. the bad and rude post.. after XMas
xDx
Commander
Commander

Post by xDx »

Hi gentle Merry Christmas!
"The only thing we have to fear is fear itself." -- FDR
ruthlessferengi

Well,
when I was first presented with idea of playing Large universe i thought the idea was ridiculous... after several (very excellent and enjoyable) games with gentle and xdx i realized that Large is the way to go if one wants to go epic....

this current version of udm is, i think, revolutionary, as it changes combat options in tactical, allows windowed mode and makes a promise of (possible) greater stability in tactical combat.... not to mention the graphics... I love the way ships look in tactical, totally awesome...

as far as the starter ships/number of sister - well, it can be adjusted and i am sure we can have deathmatch scenario (current iteration) vs barebones set up ... when we played, Gentle, u had close to 30 well developed systems and i am sure u can handle 9 from the start... I say we give it a go and try and it will be fun... Also, losing one sister would not be much of an issue and take over of the planet will be very tough... for now, we can just scrap have the ships and starve 6 sisters to extinction if u'd like:) and play with remaining 3...

I stil think klings are at a disadvantage but want to try them out first in mp.... while they may have second to feds (tied with cards) industry output, absolute difference is small - 4 or 5 units - and is easily compensated by, say, dom who just builds 10 more fabs AND able to power all intel/science to pump out one hc3 each 4 turns on fanatical... 65 mln pop diff on head planet is a lot... one way to compensate, is to give cloak in battle (can't wait), better agility, and more powerful disruptors... but lets put aside speculation and try this out...:)

or... r we afraid? kling vs dom challenge? afraid u'll suffocate in my hairy klingon armpit headlock maneurver? :))

gentle
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Post by gentle »

i just say the gap between race is huge now.. for example the science bonus that Fed have with 5 systems is overwhelming with 9(i reach capital ship after 55 turns after i focus first 10 turns on science improvements) i think is the same with intel for rom, dom and cards, as for klings.. i just drop a tear now.. anyway.. the cloack during battle option is splendid lots of new strategy may be done(bye bye ram :D) but 10 colony ship.. 10 scouts.. i may scrap them as RF said :) it put to much pressure to the few neurons i have it functional :D
xDx
Commander
Commander

Post by xDx »

well gentle I think what TC was going for was at T5 each empire should have a bunch of systems to simulate an already established empire. I bet if the systems were spread out a bit (which cannot be done at this time) and say the Feds had Vulcan membered you would think it was a neat idea. As far as Feds having research advantage and Roms and Cards intel etc well that brings the strategy back into game. Each empire has its own unique strengths and weaknesses and the empire you pick is how the game should be played. Nobody in their right mind would try to member the Bajorans if playing as the Cards or Klingons membering minors in general or the Feds intelling the Cards to death etc.

Besides the nine system start is only on UDML... regular UDM starts with four extra like the old version maybe you should check out that as well before you condemn all the hard work and dedication done by TC, Flocke, QD and others. Like RF said play a game and see how it goes OR are you afraid to try something new :P TC said more changes to follow as time permits so stay tuned everyone... this is a test version after all.

Anyways I am happy to say UDM 1024 works fine in MP as TC and I tested a game so I am down to play a game whenever someone is available (not today though). I haven't tested Klingon or other empires balance yet but with 9 systems, if you're lucky enough to come across more dilithium, the Klinks can get a fleet built up very quickly so right there is an advantage. Maybe the Klinks should have a dilithium mine structure that can be built in systems with dil to give an advantage since dil fix has been implemented? Anyways nuff talk lets play. :)
"The only thing we have to fear is fear itself." -- FDR
ruthlessferengi

kling can't train their ships for some reason... i.e. designation is there but no actual training takes place experience point wise... also, how come trade centers now have to be powered up? they used to be free... also, now i cannot cloak while bombing as kling is that intentional?

chat is kinda jumpy:) types extra letters fast:)
Last edited by ruthlessferengi on Mon Dec 26, 2011 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Badbru
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by Badbru »

Federation have the same bug/feature? Ships built at Sol came with 700 experience, ships ordered to train there got 4 (Yes only 4) experience. Ships built at Sol and ordered to train at Sol do not add to their 700 points. Irrespective of how many turns they stay.

Also I just played 95 turns (T5) and membered 5 minors, Vulcans, Bajorans, Xindi, Orions and I think Tlani, none had ships nor could they build their ships. All had reached level 9 structures in atleast two fields.

I removed UMD3.0.1(a) to install (d) so I may have missed some changes but these don't feel right.
Flocke
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by Flocke »

ruthlessferengi wrote:chat is kinda jumpy:) types extra letters fast:)
just a small feature so you don't chat that much ingame :lol:
gentle
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Post by gentle »

about the lag during combat.. i understand it is because of the models of ships build for the old version? i broke a limb of Santa last year so i will not expect a pc upgrade to soon :(
thunderchero
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Location: On a three month training mission, in command of the USS Valiant.

Post by thunderchero »

I have found the training bug and will be fixed in next version.

as to trading centers not requiring energy this is how it was originaly intended (to use energy). but since the older version the energy screen project was not completed it was given a value of zero to limit how many structure were on energy screen.

thunderchero
ruthlessferengi

I also noted that kling hull damage does not go away after orbital attack

Flocke
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by Flocke »

gentle wrote:about the lag during combat.. i understand it is because of the models of ships build for the old version? i broke a limb of Santa last year so i will not expect a pc upgrade to soon :(
You're lucky, my system is more than 7 years old, though it had a good graphic card, it lags so much I really don't want to attempt any big UDM battles. Some single ships in techtree ship view already lag. 8O
While performance for sure can be increased some on mpr rendbead mode, it's not enough to make it seem worth the work.
Instead I'll concentrate on replacement rendering as it further allows for much better graphics with shadow and lightning effects and much much more.
Replacement ships actually already are fully supported (see mpr++ topic) but effects require some work.
For an easy example of a new mesh, when not in combat, press F7 to see the testmesh and also F6 to see your fps (limited to 100 by mpr++.ini) ;)
Conversion is alot work, but thunderchero and anjel already had some good success to export to new format. E.g. current test ship was exported by thunderchero (thanks alot :)).
ruthlessferengi

i just had a battle with gentle, a total of 100 capital ships... my system is not that old and i had a lot of lag, something i haven't had since the pentium days. I usually play on old lappy wih xp which is 2 steps down... all previous games with massive battles were processed smoothly. until new models r available that r compatible may be we shud use older engine... unless conversion is an easy process... which i doubt... i love the windowed mode but with large battle lag, this is a problem.

also, funny thing happened, i was playng kling, upgraded captial ship to 4 and noted that all my hull points dropped to 20%... very odd.. gentle has the files we can send it...

Return to “Ultimate Dominion Mod”