new udm d version...

Ultimate Dominion Mod; showcase and support/discussion/questions/suggestions/reviews

Moderator: thunderchero

thunderchero
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Location: On a three month training mission, in command of the USS Valiant.

Re: new udm d version...

Post by thunderchero »

ruthlessferengi wrote:also, funny thing happened, i was playng kling, upgraded captial ship to 4 and noted that all my hull points dropped to 20%... very odd.. gentle has the files we can send it...
I was wondering if that is what you were talking about that is part of the refitting process when ships are upgraded this is normal for new code.

thunderchero
Flocke
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by Flocke »

ruthlessferengi wrote:until new models r available that r compatible may be we shud use older engine...
the ships in udm partially are very complex with high batch
I adjusted mpr++ code to reduce batch count a bit, but that doesn't solve it
best way to reduce batch count in new engine is to use less textures, but fixing all the ships for it is alot of work
as far I got thunderchero old engine caused too many problems to support it any longer, so it seems you've to live with it for now :(
RSE_Dissy
2020-Vanilla
2020-Vanilla

Post by RSE_Dissy »

link to udm 3.0.1db plz??
i only have 3.0.1c cannot find db in downloads section :p
xx
Dissy of Red Squad Elite;

The Elite Gaming Clan of the MSN Gaming Zone

Peace, Love & Unity
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

RSE_Dissy wrote:link to udm 3.0.1db plz??
i only have 3.0.1c cannot find db in downloads section :p
xx
https://www.armadafleetcommand.com/onsc ... ls&lid=208

thunderchero
Deks
Cadet 3rd Year
Cadet 3rd Year

Post by Deks »

I must say that this mod is quite nice.
I'm playing this latest UDM version (1024 of course - though 1280x800 would be desirable if possible) with MPR++.
Combat mode crashes consistently with ini file set to DIRECT3D, but after altering to OPENGL, it works fine (dunno whats the big deal about it though).
My gpu is Nvidia 9600m GT (yeah, mid-range mobile gpu from late 2008 - not the greatest, but does fine in everything I do, and from the looks of things, its more than enough for BOTF) and using the latest Nvidia drivers.
I agree, there is a relatively large lag with a sufficiently large fleet, or if one is engaging cloaked ships... at least initially... subsequent turns in same combat are more or less ok FPS-wise and the lag mostly down to a number of ships.
More optimization in this area (if possible) would be welcome - but I can tell you that this is not too big of a deal.

Aside from that, there is an issue that keeps bugging me... ships that underwent an automatic upgrade as you advance to new tech levels (such as Surveyor 1 being automatically upgraded to Surveyor 2) end up having their hull radically reduced by roughly 9/10th (so you are basically left with 10% of hull capacity - or less - which of course takes time to bring back up to full).
Thus far I've only been playing the Federation and noticing this problem consistently through upgrade levels across all ship classes... so a fix in this area would be appreciated.
ruthlessferengi
Multiple Tournament Champion
Multiple Tournament Champion

Post by ruthlessferengi »

As thunder pointed out before, there are temporary issues with mpr for the moment (drag in mp for example) and these will be resolved in due time as Flocke noted with rescaled models. For now, d version is available for testing if thunder lets u use it with older engine and it works better. I agree botf shud be able to support older cards but with mpr it may be an issue, but it will be worked out in due time i am told. Hull issue is not really an issue but ontentional by design, refits/upgrades require time effort like in real life. Since we all know star trek is real, and some races r even more real (e.g. ferengi) r more real than others (e.g. feds :), botf shud reflect that, hence this new twist, makes for more interesting gameplay. Hull restors at starbases and home planets. Enjoy the game and try it in mp...
Rf
Relevance is a post hoc phenomenon

На безптичье и жопа воробей...
Ancient Klingon Battlecry
Deks
Cadet 3rd Year
Cadet 3rd Year

Post by Deks »

Hull being drained by 90% during 'upgrades' is not exactly 'realistic'.
While I agree that upgrades take time, for Trek, they wouldn't really release a ship into service with the hull that's say on the verge of collapse.
Besides, ship construction along with the entire industry would have to be fully automated (in which case, devoid of human or humanoid interference, construction, upgrades, etc. would be done much faster).
1 turn could for example equate 1 Earth year, in which case, having full hull after the upgrade is not exactly an issue.

Also, does this hull draining for upgrades extends to the AI or not?
gentle
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Post by gentle »

the new version without mpr++ is the top of the line. no more long loading turns, only the "classic" crashes remain, and finally destroyers and strike cruisers have a purposes again. the hull hp drop during upgrades just make the game more balanced (i did no think its possible) Splendid work, UDM rules and join warzone i need opponents! :D
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

Deks wrote:Hull being drained by 90% during 'upgrades' is not exactly 'realistic'.
in past versions this was edited to 62% of old hull, but code change was lost during version update and will be changed on next update.
Deks wrote:While I agree that upgrades take time, for Trek, they wouldn't really release a ship into service with the hull that's say on the verge of collapse.
You are in control of your ships and you should be aware of when your ships are about to upgrade and be prepared to move them to a starbase or shipyard for quicker hull regeneration.
Deks wrote:1 turn could for example equate 1 Earth year, in which case, having full hull after the upgrade is not exactly an issue.
I always thought 1 turn = 1 day
Deks wrote:Also, does this hull draining for upgrades extends to the AI or not?
yes they do.

if you want to make the code changes to 62% of old hull

Code: Select all

at 0x4980b

change 33 D2 66 F7 35 44 2B 5A 00 -> D1 E8 8B D8 C1 EB 02 03 C3
thunderchero
Climberphip
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Post by Climberphip »

Hey guyz,

i have to say that I really enjoy the game and it's mod UDMIII.dc.

I have some suggestions i would like to wish to see in UDM4:

First of all the trooptransporters are only able to build one building (outpost/starbase) per system. Woulnd't it be nice to be able to build more structures per system.
In the course of this i am thinking of diverse defenseplatforms or shipyards able to see in the combat. That would be amazing.
These options (new spacebuildings) have to get added to the trooptansporter. Beside the commands of terraform, build outpost etc. there would be listed the command build shipyard.
And in the combat there would be a shipyard and a starbase in space in the same time. I would like that. (new 3d modells are needed)
I another way to build these new spacestructures would be to be able to build them directly from the planet instead from the trooptransports.
After building the shipyard for example, a 3d model would appear in combat and would be able to destroy. The game would become more tactical.

The second point i wish is to increase the tactic possibilities in combat beside charging, flyby, circle and so on...
Here i am thinking about precise options to move the ships (alone or in groups) per round. Or simply to add more attacking moves to increase the degree of tactic. (I liked the possibility from cloaking ships to give them the command to cloak during the battle)
One important command for all ships have to get added, when ships are able to cloak during the battle:
the ships should be able to scan the sector for the cloaked ships and shoot some salvos of torpedos, when they aim a target.
When hitting, no shields will rescue the cloaked ship. This would be a new huge tactical option and would compensate the advantages of the romulan and klingon ships. Furthermore I want to say that it is a good idea, that all klingon ships are able to cloak.

All ships should be able to execute more than simply one command per round to increase the tactic.
i have to think about commands....
for example attack (ex. charge) and second command to repair the ship's hull. the consequence is a sacrifice in the power of the weapons, but in the following round, a few hullpoints are repaired. This is only an idea of the doublecommandsystem.

The reason, why it would be better to increase the commands, is that most of the botf-players love the game because of the combat.
I think the game would make more fun, when the combat is more enlarged.

i thought about heroes. Heroes in terms of ships for example cpt. Picard with the USS enterprise (galaxy-class). They are ships, so they are able to build in the shipyard. Then the USS Enterpirse has to have small advantages (better firepower etc.) beside the normal Galaxy-class commandships.
i tried it out with UE, it is easy because you have the 3d-modell. The only problem is how to set limit to be albe to build only one ship of this "new class" (Picard's commandship). Another problem is the voice of picard in combat, which is missing, because it is the normal sound of the commander for commandships.
The same for the other races.

A detailed crew information about any ship.
For example the oberth class:
100 people on board.

He i am thinking of the efficiency of the crew. when the crew has 100%, it is optimal. Are people dying because of a hard fight, the crew-efficiency is lower.
This new idea should be added beside the crewexperience and it's advantages.
To get new personnel for a ship, simply move the ship to an outpost or starbase.

These are only ideas I would be happy when you give me feedback. :wink:

Greetings,
Climber
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

Welcome to the forum Climberphip,

Very nice and long dream post, But it is currently just a dream. nothing you requested is currently possible.

thunderchero
gentle
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Post by gentle »

how about the command: group attack a single target, is it possible? I am thinking about the case, for example when 18 destroyers attack 3 CC. The destroyers should win the battle focusing on a single target.. so instead of solo charge each of the 18 destroyers a new command will be less time consuming.
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

no new commands have ever been added to the game, only inactive commands activied. I do not think adding any new commands is possible.

thunderchero
xDx
Commander
Commander

Post by xDx »

I think gentle is just eager to kill RF's command ship armada with a handful of DDs lol
"The only thing we have to fear is fear itself." -- FDR
outerexodus
Ensign
Ensign

Post by outerexodus »

well, it would be nice to have ships and outposts actually attack the one target you set, other than going through and doing them all one at a time. it's really annoying when an outpost fires beams at one ship and torpedos at another instead of actually trying to kill one ship... lol. oh well.

Return to “Ultimate Dominion Mod”