Game doesn't start / help me pls :(

Ultimate Dominion Mod; showcase and support/discussion/questions/suggestions/reviews

Moderator: thunderchero

Knightwalker
Cadet 2nd Year
Cadet 2nd Year

Game doesn't start / help me pls :(

Post by Knightwalker »

Ok so as for me the game isn't even launching. Actually tbh i refused to read around 50 pages till i find a solution of my retardness so I am daring to just ask you to probably explain or send me a solution to my problem. Excuse me for sounding pretty rude but I tried to make this work since hours and I am really tired.

SO basically what i did on my win7 pc ( amd graphics ) was downloading the mod from here https://www.armadafleetcommand.com/get- ... le_id=1958

then i installed everything into my original botf folder tried to run the mod via dxwnd as well as just starting the .exe ( tried compabilites, reinstall etc ) and every single time i have same error. The game won't start. I click on run and i have a black screen for few seconds and then it goes back to desktop telling me game isn't working anymore.

Usually when i have this kind of error it is because I am an idiot and made a mistake but I don't know where I made one. PLease help me :/
thunderchero
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Location: On a three month training mission, in command of the USS Valiant.

Re: Game doesn't start / help me pls :(

Post by thunderchero »

Knightwalker wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:05 pm tried compabilites, reinstall etc
compatibility setting should only be used without DxWnd.

when you say "reinstall" did you uninstall first?
Knightwalker wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:05 pm then i installed everything into my original botf folder
was BOTF working on this system from earlier version?

does any mod/version work or is this issue only Ultimate dominion mod?

what exactly is message?

one thing you may try would be edit stbof.ini, on lines for soundon and movieon change to OFF

also install directx redist
DirectX 9 redist

not sure about how on window 7 but the game also requires Directplay turned on.
Knightwalker
Cadet 2nd Year
Cadet 2nd Year

Post by Knightwalker »

I uninstalled the mod and the dxwnd and reinstalled it. For now I am going to redownload it and reinstall it again just in case something was wrong with the download. Botf worked from my cd with compability settings without any mod. There was no error message just the game crashed and windows said it's casuall phrase to search for a solution. No mod worked I tried 2-3 different. As for Directplay: shouldnt the installer 1.0.1 activate that anyway ? or did i misunderstand that ?
Knightwalker
Cadet 2nd Year
Cadet 2nd Year

Post by Knightwalker »

Ok. The change in the ini that u suggested made it work. Thx alot :D
Knightwalker
Cadet 2nd Year
Cadet 2nd Year

Post by Knightwalker »

Now I have the Problem that the game is lagging for some reason. Not alot but it really sucks and I don't find a way to fix it. Could it be because of old graphic driver ?
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

Knightwalker wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:23 am As for Directplay: shouldnt the installer 1.0.1 activate that anyway ? or did i misunderstand that ?
The installer will turn on directplay for windows 8/10 not windows 7, but I have never needed to turn on directplay on windows 7 :wink:
Knightwalker wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:54 pm Now I have the Problem that the game is lagging for some reason. Not alot but it really sucks and I don't find a way to fix it. Could it be because of old graphic driver ?
describe lag, slow mouse response DxWnd should help. long turn processing time this is un-resolved.
Knightwalker
Cadet 2nd Year
Cadet 2nd Year

Post by Knightwalker »

I don't know it is just like usuall lag when u have low fps or something like that. So basically i move mouce and it will move for 1 second and then dont and then jump XD good ol lag. Also respone from the game feels sometimes laggy but usually it is just the mouse. I also have the lag when I use dxwnd. Turn processing is normal. It is just casual lag. Also in the main menu. Also don't understand why because on my Pc it works but on my brothers Pc ( who actually has the lag not me :D ) it is lagging. Both amd graphics. He said 2 friends of him had this lag issue too and they didn't find a resolve back then. Seems like something that isn't unique though because it occured now on 3 different Pc.
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

here is a couple other things you can try.

1. turn off as much as you can in "overlay" of main galactic map.
2. in stbof.ini change 3D=SOFTWARE to 3D=DIRECT3D

but you might be right and it is a driver issue.

Return to “Ultimate Dominion Mod”