no photon torpedoes against the borg

Ultimate Dominion Mod; showcase and support/discussion/questions/suggestions/reviews

Moderator: thunderchero

Goth47
Cadet 2nd Year
Cadet 2nd Year

no photon torpedoes against the borg

Post by Goth47 »

I have got to turn 156 and the borg have appeared. No worries I thought as I have a fleet of 17 ships ready to intercept. The only problem is that my ships refused to fire photon torpedoes. I tried reloading a few times and fighting the battle again but with the same result. Is it a feature of UDM or am I missing something?
Many Thanks
Goth
p.s loving the mod btw
thunderchero
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Location: On a three month training mission, in command of the USS Valiant.

Re: no photon torpedoes against the borg

Post by thunderchero »

sounds like a strange error since all ship have 0.0 min distance on both phasers and torpedoes. unless you were too far away to fire? but all ships have shorter phaser max. and since you did not state what ships/race were involved. question did you win? if so they may have not needed to fire torpedoes.
Goth47
Cadet 2nd Year
Cadet 2nd Year

Post by Goth47 »

Hi thunderchero Thanks for the reply buddy. I had 7 federation light cruisers, 4 sona battleships and i breen ship and 5 aquatic carriers. when it goes to battle my ships are extremely close to the borg cube. I lose all my ships in 3 turns as they all fire phasers only no matter what battle tactic I use. i think you are right and its a bug. I have saved the battle if you want me to upload it. I have started a new campaign now and turned the borg off in the config file but still have the save game
On a side note I just want to thank you for your hard work buddy, I have udm3 with hi res graphics and am having great fun with it and the all in one installer is excellent.
Goth
Deimos
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by Deimos »

I notice a very similar problem with Species 8472.
I beefed up the defence and starbase outposts, the most basic one has 25 phasors and 25 photon torpedo launchers, with a 5000 range.

But when battling species 8472, it only fires what appears to be a single phaser beam.
2021-12-02.png
2021-12-02.png (17.04 KiB) Viewed 2485 times
2021-12-02 (1).png
2021-12-02 (1).png (50.84 KiB) Viewed 2485 times
Flocke
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by Flocke »

I remember having experienced that issue with one Borg sphere in UDM as well, and I think it was related to a high defense level or my low tech level and crew experience. There must be some rule that you need to match the enemy specs to be allowed to fire torpedos.

Edit: Well, thinking about it, I can't tell for sure whether it was related to minimal weapon range instead. Might be that the shpere sneaked in too close by a high stealth value.
Last edited by Flocke on Thu Dec 02, 2021 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deimos
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by Deimos »

Will have to do some experimenting, my outpost is either 150 or 160 defence, the 8472 ship is 222, so I lowered it to 110, will see if it has any effect.
Deimos
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by Deimos »

So that definitely helped, multiple beams and torpedoes.

Do the weapons in this game have firing arcs? I notice it doesn't SEEM to fire 25 beams and 25 torpedoes.
2021-12-02 (3).png
2021-12-02 (3).png (22.04 KiB) Viewed 2478 times
Spocks-cuddly-tribble
Code Master
Code Master

Post by Spocks-cuddly-tribble »

Deimos wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 4:08 amDo the weapons in this game have firing arcs? I notice it doesn't SEEM to fire 25 beams and 25 torpedoes.
If thunderchero used phaser slot value 01 for all/most ships, the phaser firing arc should be 120 degree forward.

Torpedo firing arc is by default 60 degree forward.

See: viewtopic.php?p=52676#p52676

In your picture the target is the entire turn time within these arcs, so this shouldn't cause your problem.

Another factor besides defense, accuracy, weapons range a.s.o. is 'rate of fire'(not fully analysed yet): viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2726&start=15#p38239

viewtopic.php?p=54644#p54644

EDIT: Lowering below value should allow stations to fire faster/earlier, but due to distance vs weapon range & defence/accuracy you might just see one single missing shot representing all missing shots?

Code: Select all

00522523                 mov     eax, 40000h     ; 262,144 = 65536 * (4-0 green) for station beam RateOfFire
I don't know how many bugs is too many but that point is reached somewhere before however many in BotF is.
Deimos
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by Deimos »

Started playing the UDM mod again, I love it, but am running into that issue with only a single torpedo being fired.

This time it's the Outpost 2 vs the Borg Sphere.

I increase the defence value of the outpost to 250 and lowered the borg sphere to 22 (just to see what would happen), but it has no effect.

The outpost has 20 torpedo launchers, but only seems to fire a single torpedo in each round.
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

Deimos wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 6:59 pm Started playing the UDM mod again, I love it, but am running into that issue with only a single torpedo being fired.

This time it's the Outpost 2 vs the Borg Sphere.

I increase the defence value of the outpost to 250 and lowered the borg sphere to 22 (just to see what would happen), but it has no effect.

The outpost has 20 torpedo launchers, but only seems to fire a single torpedo in each round.
If you want to play with ship stats you should try increasing max torpedo range.
Deimos
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by Deimos »

Yea the torpedo range is greater than the phasor range.
Attachments
2022-07-01.png
2022-07-01.png (41.77 KiB) Viewed 1688 times
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

did you increase value and test to see if it fired more than 1 torpedo?
Deimos
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by Deimos »

Ah I'll give that a try today, thanks Thunder
Deimos
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by Deimos »

So I increased the range to 5000, ran a fight against the borg sphere again, the graphic shows a single torpedo being fired, but I thought perhaps it's 20 torpedoes, but a single graphic

But then I ran through the playback and the log for each stage has multiple entries for each beam being fired, but only a single entry for the torpedo.

Which I also notice doesn't register as hitting or damaging the sphere at all.
Attachments
2022-07-01 (2).png
2022-07-01 (2).png (138.06 KiB) Viewed 1664 times
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

do you have saved game before combat to upload

Return to “Ultimate Dominion Mod”