Large Dominion Mod-impossible to build Starbase on other side of a wormhole

Ultimate Dominion Mod; showcase and support/discussion/questions/suggestions/reviews

Moderator: thunderchero

Lynx
Cadet 4th Year
Cadet 4th Year

Large Dominion Mod-impossible to build Starbase on other side of a wormhole

Post by Lynx »

Hello!

It's been a while since my recent post here but don't think that I have forgotten BOTF.

No, I've been playing the game now and then for many years, most of all the Ultimate Dominion Mod which is great!

However, a recent disc crash made me re-install everything and to my great deligt, I have seen that many of the games have been updated and improved since my previous download (wheneverit was, some years ago I guess).

I've recently played the Large Ultimate Dominion Mod which is great. However, I have discovered a peculiar thing. i don't know if it's something new to the game or a bug.

Whenever I discover a wormhole, I always send in a scout ship and then a troop Transport tpo build a base on the other side of the wormhole.

That little move actually made me turn an almost lost game to a victiry once since I could attack The Dominion in the back from my new position and turn the war in my favor.

However, in my recent game, I discovered a wormhole so I sent in a scout ship which of course couldn't advance any further so then I sent in a Troop Transport to build a Starbase.

But it's impossible to build a Starbase on the other side of the wormhole. That option is not available. It doesn't work even when I build a Starbase on "my side" of the wormhole. The only thing I can do is to send back the Troop Transport and the scout ship to my side of the wormhole, which I won't do.

Is this a bug or is it some way to activate the possibility to build a Starbase on the other side of the wormhole?

And when I'm still at it: I have no clue about modding the game but is it possible to change the pictures of Damar (Cardassia) and Martok (Klingon) to Dukat and Gowron instead?

I have nothing against damar or martok but since there's always the risk to end up in a conflict with cardassians and Klingons, I find Dukat and Gowron more appropriate as opponents.
thunderchero
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Location: On a three month training mission, in command of the USS Valiant.

Re: Large Dominion Mod-impossible to build Starbase on other side of a wormhole

Post by thunderchero »

Lynx wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 12:57 pm is this a bug or is it some way to activate the possibility to build a Starbase on the other side of the wormhole?
just tested and was able to build outpost on other side of wormhole, I expect the wormhole sector is controlled by an AI major.

I am not sure but if you win a combat there you might get enough control of sector to build outpost?
Spocks-cuddly-tribble
Code Master
Code Master

Post by Spocks-cuddly-tribble »

Lynx wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 12:57 pmIt doesn't work even when I build a Starbase on "my side" of the wormhole.

is it possible to change the pictures of Damar (Cardassia) and Martok (Klingon) to Dukat and Gowron instead?
1.) I think UDM Starbases use code of Outposts (so the AI builds more of them)?
Task force GUI might still say build 'outpost', build 'starbase' shouldn't work (inactive button -> requires outpost for upgrade)?

2.) See older downloads 'enhanced mod' has some pics you can add to stbof.res.
I don't know how many bugs is too many but that point is reached somewhere before however many in BotF is.
Lynx
Cadet 4th Year
Cadet 4th Year

Post by Lynx »

Thanks for replies.
thunderchero wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 2:01 pm just tested and was able to build outpost on other side of wormhole, I expect the wormhole sector is controlled by an AI major.

I am not sure but if you win a combat there you might get enough control of sector to build outpost?
It's possible that the sector is controlled by an AI major. There has been some activity there.
But since I can't move the scout ship, I can't investigate the area. So I guess that I have to wait for an attack. Fortunately I have a functioning Starbase on my side of the wormhole so I can stop an attack from the others there.
Spocks-cuddly-tribble wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 3:36 pm
1.) I think UDM Starbases use code of Outposts (so the AI builds more of them)?
Task force GUI might still say build 'outpost', build 'starbase' shouldn't work (inactive button -> requires outpost for upgrade)?

2.) See older downloads 'enhanced mod' has some pics you can add to stbof.res.
1. I think that the button for the Troop Transport says "Build Starbase" in this case. (I can't access the game right now since I'm not at home). Anyway, I can't access any button which allows me to build a Starbase or an outpost. Anyway, I'll get back with information about this.

2. In that case, how do I access stbof.res?
Spocks-cuddly-tribble
Code Master
Code Master

Sorry I misread your post (no starbase at neither side of the wormhole). And of course thunderchero adapted the build station buttons in UDM GUI. :wink:

It's a first contact bug. Usually triggered when entering claimed sectors. Some special circumstances don't work (e.g. sector claim changed at the same time or after ships entered the sector). Crossing wormholes might be one of them. If you hover mouse to sector it might even note the claim.
There is a patch preventing claim of wormhole sectors without station to avoid your issue: viewtopic.php?p=55798#p55798

You can add files to stbof.res via Ultimate Editor or 'add files', both in BotF tools folder (if tools were selected in installer).
But it's noob unfriendly to open/find pics via 7-Zip in older downloads/installers and to learn how to use above tools for the first time.
Enhanced mod download: https://www.armadafleetcommand.com/get- ... file_id=15
I don't know how many bugs is too many but that point is reached somewhere before however many in BotF is.
Lynx
Cadet 4th Year
Cadet 4th Year

Post by Lynx »

Spocks-cuddly-tribble wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 1:37 pm Sorry I misread your post (no starbase at neither side of the wormhole). And of course thunderchero adapted the build station buttons in UDM GUI. :wink:

It's a first contact bug. Usually triggered when entering claimed sectors. Some special circumstances don't work (e.g. sector claim changed at the same time or after ships entered the sector). Crossing wormholes might be one of them. If you hover mouse to sector it might even note the claim.
There is a patch preventing claim of wormhole sectors without station to avoid your issue: viewtopic.php?p=55798#p55798

You can add files to stbof.res via Ultimate Editor or 'add files', both in BotF tools folder (if tools were selected in installer).
But it's noob unfriendly to open/find pics via 7-Zip in older downloads/installers and to learn how to use above tools for the first time.
Enhanced mod download: https://www.armadafleetcommand.com/get- ... file_id=15
No problem actually. If the wormhole ends up in, let's say Romulan space, they will probably wipe me out or demand my withdrawal before I have a change to create an outpost there. It's just the fact that the problem occurred which made me suspect that it was a bug.

As for editing pictures, I'm not so sure that I want to meddle too much with things I don't know about right now, even if I would like to have pictures of Dukat and Gowron in charge for the Cardassians and Klingons.

But I might take a look at it.

Thanks for the advice
Spocks-cuddly-tribble
Code Master
Code Master

Found the pics you want in enhanced mod, but now I remember why no mod uses them. They don't look good:
pics.zip
(52.15 KiB) Downloaded 30 times
The Ultimate Editor has a picture editing tool where you can edit your own pics into the right size and the right tga format.

Return to “Ultimate Dominion Mod”