\\\-- Balance of Power (v1.2c released)--///

Balance of Power Mod; showcase and support/discussion/questions/suggestions/reviews

Moderator: thunderchero

Dr_Breen
Commodore
Commodore

Re: \\\-- Balance of Power (v1.2c released)--///

Post by Dr_Breen »

is gowron still active? how about an update to this mod? There's plenty of things in the ECM mod that could be added to this one, like the experience visible to others bug, and so on.

also in my oppinion the ferengi gain a little bit to much money, of course they're supposed to gain a lot. but in this mod they gain a LOT
Public BotF / EF2 Teamspeak 3 Server: 83.169.13.55
KrazeeXXL
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by KrazeeXXL »

Dr_Breen wrote:also in my oppinion the ferengi gain a little bit to much money, of course they're supposed to gain a lot. but in this mod they gain a LOT
yes the AI is massivily overpowered. But I never had so much fun in any mod with it than in this version of BOP!

Wasn't one of the main goals to make the AI stronger? At least I remember a hundred posts of different ppl with complains about it being way too weak. And now you as you got a very strong AI, it's too strong for you? LOL WUT...

I agree with the updates of the latest findings @bugfixes, but didn't see Gowron here for a very long time. I hope he is alright.

Anyway, don't touch me the ferg! I love him as an opponent as he is here. He's so nasty and this makes this game finally a challenge again!

You even have sometimes a chance to lose... not often but some times...
Dr_Breen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Dr_Breen »

KrazeeXXL wrote:
Dr_Breen wrote:.... And now you as you got a very strong AI, it's too strong for you? LOL WUT...
Dork

all i wanted to say is that it's just weird when the ferengi AI offers you 652 K just for a WarPact.
KrazeeXXL
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by KrazeeXXL »

Dr_Breen wrote: Dork

all i wanted to say is that it's just weird when the ferengi AI offers you 652 K just for a WarPact.
Well, it's the Ferengi after all, isn't it?

And they're are known to have Marauders with Latinum hulls... and all they care about is money...

Can't remember when I'd ever accepted a war pact from the AI tbh. It's true that this is a fukton of credits but nobody forces you to take it and exploit the stupidness of the AI and inbalance the game to your favour this way...

Anyway, it's not the first time that there's a bit too much money in BOP. See it as challenge. The AI never was that strong imo. And the ways to make it strong are pretty limited... the best way is money. I remember lots of games when the AI just sat around and did nothing at all because it ran out of money. I've never seen this in this version of BOP.

A problem is the AI's mainly just building trade goods. And Gowron tried to make the pesky scrap-exploit obsolete, too. And he raised the trade goods so you don't have to scrap ships anymore to get money and maintain big fleets. (one of the most annoying bugs in vanilla when you ask me)
Another point was that you shouldn't be able to bankrupt a player/the AI completely in a couple of turns through raiding.

So, yea I agree that it's too much money. I mentioned this some times b4 as well. But at this moment you can't have everthing. You have to live with some cut backs.

For me: I can live with the AI offering me a shitload of credits on one side. I'm mostly at war with everyone and I don't care about warpacts and peace treaties. I don't have to exploit the AI to win a game, too.
Dr_Breen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Dr_Breen »

now that we had a lot of blah blah. back to the actual question.

does anyone know something about gowron? looks like it's almost a year now since he last visited
thunderchero
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Location: On a three month training mission, in command of the USS Valiant.

Post by thunderchero »

Dr_Breen wrote:now that we had a lot of blah blah. back to the actual question.

does anyone know something about gowron? looks like it's almost a year now since he last visited
I have sent e-mails to all of them I have with no responce. I hope he is ok.

thunderchero
Thinkmeats
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Post by Thinkmeats »

I'm trying to get BoP to work, but on all compat settings I've tried it crashes as soon as I run trek.exe / trek2.exe. UDM works fine, base game works fine. I've got DXWND but I'm not sure about the settings and none I've tried have worked. Anyone have any ideas?
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

Thinkmeats wrote: I run trek.exe / trek2.exe
explain please multi installer does not install trek2 on any install or mod.

Dxwnd, did you download from this post?
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3179&p=43105#p43105
it has preset settings for most mods even BOP

MPR++ will not work until you get it running. it only replaces the graphic engine. so mod must be working first.

thunderchero
Thinkmeats
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Post by Thinkmeats »

I downloaded the multiinstaller and ran that, then put in Balance of Power from https://www.armadafleetcommand.com/get- ... le_id=1958 by following the instructions in the .txt. I tried the Dxwnd you linked, but it still crashes when I run it using the BOP settings :(

Thanks for the quick reply, by the way! Really hoping I can get this working, I rather like the base game and want to play a balanced version ^^
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

Thinkmeats wrote:following the instructions in the .txt.
lol good to see some people still read txt. but in this case it should be ignored. the text is for manual install only. multi installer does all that for you.

depending on what you did you may need to un-install bop and where ever you placed files from bop (vanilla install).

I would just suggest un-install everything then reinstall and just play.

thunderchero
Thinkmeats
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Post by Thinkmeats »

After trying every solution I could find anywhere on this forum (or elsewhere for that matter), I finally figured out what was causing it. Adding any sort of file to the .res at all, even if just writing over a file already in there with another copy of itself, caused the game to crash immediately on launching. The fix was to get a healthy .res from someone with a working version of the mod. Victory!
Flocke
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by Flocke »

Thinkmeats wrote:I finally figured out what was causing it. Adding any sort of file to the .res at all, even if just writing over a file already in there with another copy of itself, caused the game to crash immediately on launching.
Yep, that's due to the different compression algorithms of modern zip programs. When you want to replace files best use Ultimate Editor from DCER. ;)
Zweistein000
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Zweistein000 »

Ok.. I know it has been 2 years since last post, but I just tried this mod out. How is one supposed to bomb anything in this mod if 30 orbital batteries can take out 63 ships. (9 were destroyers, the rest were fleets of 2 kedons, 6 galors ad a hutet).
ruthlessferengi
Multiple Tournament Champion
Multiple Tournament Champion

Post by ruthlessferengi »

Lots of spy ships.... use as shield
Relevance is a post hoc phenomenon

На безптичье и жопа воробей...
Ancient Klingon Battlecry
Zweistein000
Ensign
Ensign