\\\-- Balance of Power (v1.2c released)--///

Balance of Power Mod; showcase and support/discussion/questions/suggestions/reviews

Moderator: thunderchero

Javelin
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Crash Problems

Post by Javelin »

Need a bit of help here. I've played a couple of previous BOP versions and loved them, so wanted to install the newest one. Dowloaded the vanilla and extracted it, then ran the auto-installer .exe for this latest version. It seems to have installed just fine, yet it crashes on an attempt to run:

failed to start because mss32.dll was not found etc.

Now I vaguely remember having this problem the last time I tried to install a BOP mod on my Vista machine and found a simple solution - which I now can't remember! Could have involved altering something in an .ini file, I'm just not sure what. Anyone know how to get it working again? I've already tried the whole re-installing it thingy and I know for a fact that previous versions of BOP did run on this same machine. Any ideas?
thunderchero
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Location: On a three month training mission, in command of the USS Valiant.

Re: Crash Problems

Post by thunderchero »

Javelin wrote:Need a bit of help here. I've played a couple of previous BOP versions and loved them, so wanted to install the newest one. Dowloaded the vanilla and extracted it, then ran the auto-installer .exe for this latest version. It seems to have installed just fine, yet it crashes on an attempt to run:

failed to start because mss32.dll was not found etc.
you need to install main multi installer first

thunderchero
Chernabog
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by Chernabog »

Hi Gowron,

A question for you regarding the way your mod handles the no upgrades for food and energy...

From the basis of your idea I have developed a mod myself, also not using upgrades, but for all populated buildings (so research, intel etc). I haven't set tech specific bonuses in the way you have in BOP but have gone for lots of special structures that give percentage bonuses, which seems to work fine.

Annoyingly I have just discovered an issue, one that I thought was not happening and I am wondering if you have encountered the same issue and might no how to resolve it...

For AI controlled major races the building paths they take for native systems are all as I expect, none of them attempt to upgrade there populated structures.

For minor races, when getting a membership treaty with them as the player, are also building as expected and are not trying to upgrade any of there populated structures.

The annoying bit appears to be when the AI gets a membership treaty with a minor race, as along with the structures I expect them to build, they also upgrade there populated structures, which is a right pain in the proverbial :?

I am guessing that this is linked to the auto build feature, where minor races continue to evolve and go up tech levels. It can probably be stopped by setting all of the minor race tech levels to 10 from the off (this would not cause my mod much of an issue) but I would rather not do that.

So, have you noticed this issue at all in BOP?

Regards,

C.
taltamir
Cadet 2nd Year
Cadet 2nd Year

Post by taltamir »

the 1.1c self installers seem to have been deleted, and the new 1.2b does not have self installation capabilities...

any chance of a version for the multi install?
I do not have a superman complex; for I am God, not Superman!
ketteringdave
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Post by ketteringdave »

On the previous page:
thunderchero wrote:The download section has been updated for multi installer with latest files

Balance of Power 1.2b

thunderchero
taltamir
Cadet 2nd Year
Cadet 2nd Year

Post by taltamir »

thank you very much.
I do not have a superman complex; for I am God, not Superman!
Gaudente
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

a couple of bugs

Post by Gaudente »

I just wanted to signal two bugs I have spotted playing this otherwise excellent mod:
1) Whenever I get a starbase upgrade, I also get any under construction starbases immediately completed , and even without consuming one troop transport :lol:
2) The Benzite Industrial Complex is labeled to give a 100% industrial output bonus, yet it actually gives a 50% bonus only
Martok
Rear-Admiral
Rear-Admiral

Re: a couple of bugs

Post by Martok »

Welcome, Gaudente! Good to see you here. :)

Gaudente wrote:I just wanted to signal two bugs I have spotted playing this otherwise excellent mod:
1) Whenever I get a starbase upgrade, I also get any under construction starbases immediately completed , and even without consuming one troop transport :lol:

I actually mentioned this one myself (in this same thread) a while back. It turns out it's a bug native to the original game. It doesn't happen nearly as often in vanilla BOTF, however, since there's only 1 starbase upgrade (instead of 4 like in BOP).

Gaudente wrote:2) The Benzite Industrial Complex is labeled to give a 100% industrial output bonus, yet it actually gives a 50% bonus only

Really? That's odd, as I know it's been giving me a 100% bonus once built.

In fairness, though, I've not played BOP (or BOTF in general) a whole lot the last few months, so I suppose it's possible the Industrial Complex was somehow messed up in the last update without my noticing it. It still seems unlikely, but I can't rule it out.
"Evil is easy, and has infinite forms." -- Pascal
Gowron
Code Master
Code Master

Post by Gowron »

Chernabog wrote:Hi Gowron,

A question for you regarding the way your mod handles the no upgrades for food and energy...

From the basis of your idea I have developed a mod myself, also not using upgrades, but for all populated buildings (so research, intel etc). I haven't set tech specific bonuses in the way you have in BOP but have gone for lots of special structures that give percentage bonuses, which seems to work fine.

Annoyingly I have just discovered an issue, one that I thought was not happening and I am wondering if you have encountered the same issue and might no how to resolve it...

For AI controlled major races the building paths they take for native systems are all as I expect, none of them attempt to upgrade there populated structures.

For minor races, when getting a membership treaty with them as the player, are also building as expected and are not trying to upgrade any of there populated structures.

The annoying bit appears to be when the AI gets a membership treaty with a minor race, as along with the structures I expect them to build, they also upgrade there populated structures, which is a right pain in the proverbial :?

I am guessing that this is linked to the auto build feature, where minor races continue to evolve and go up tech levels. It can probably be stopped by setting all of the minor race tech levels to 10 from the off (this would not cause my mod much of an issue) but I would rather not do that.

So, have you noticed this issue at all in BOP?

Regards,

C.
This should not happen. Some things you have to make sure:

--> Unused buildings should not be connected to other buildings via upgrades.

--> Minor races have access to all major empire base structures, so try removing all races from the "can be built by" menu in the Ultimate Editor for each unused buildling slot. Then use the "Auto-set all" feature.

--> If it still doesn't work, set the tech requirements for all unused buildings so high that minor races can't meet them. Then "Auto-set all" again.

Hope this works. For BoP I have written a C++ program that sets all of the racetech.tec building availability bits, but using the UE should be fine as well :)
Gaudente wrote:I just wanted to signal two bugs I have spotted playing this otherwise excellent mod:
2) The Benzite Industrial Complex is labeled to give a 100% industrial output bonus, yet it actually gives a 50% bonus only
1) This is a known bug. The auto-upgrade feature does not check if the starbase is still under construction. So far nobody has found a way to stop that from happening.

2) Just doublechecked it. The structure definitely gives +100% industrial production. Remember that this does not mean it actually doubles industrial production, because there are significant technology bonuses in BoP.

For example, at construction technology 8, you already get a +200% technology bonus on industry. If your basic industry production at Benzar would be 100, then the tech bonus would make it 300 (assuming a morale value of 100, of course). If you build their special structure, it will give you another +100%, for a total bonus of +300% and a total production of 400. This can lead to the impression that the building yields a smaller bonus than it says on the tin.
A discovery consists in seeing something everybody has seen and at the same time thinking something nobody has thought yet.
Selected
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Selected »

I've encountered a problem playing BoP, when I play as the Cardassians I cannot attack systems when I do I crash to the desktop. Regardless if the system is controlled by a major or a minor. Although this problem only occurs on only one saved game that I am playing at the moment. Not sure how to send a saved game so if someone could assist me I would be grateful.

Before I finish this post I feel the need to add that BoP is excellent and is currently my favorite mod to play.

Keep up the good work Gowron.
This signature is currently under consturction.
Chernabog
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by Chernabog »

Gowron wrote: This should not happen. Some things you have to make sure:

--> Unused buildings should not be connected to other buildings via upgrades.

--> Minor races have access to all major empire base structures, so try removing all races from the "can be built by" menu in the Ultimate Editor for each unused buildling slot. Then use the "Auto-set all" feature.

--> If it still doesn't work, set the tech requirements for all unused buildings so high that minor races can't meet them. Then "Auto-set all" again.

Hope this works. For BoP I have written a C++ program that sets all of the racetech.tec building availability bits, but using the UE should be fine as well :)
Thanks Gowron,

Point one and two were set, its just the third one I hadn't thought of doing... I have got around it by setting all of the food, industry, energy and research structures (for all levels) to be exactly the same, this way if/when they do attempt to upgrade it does not matter. The Intel buildings are not upgraded my minors so that allows all of them (apart from the first one for each major) to be utilised for other things ... currently have 45 structures per major (not including populated ones), most are shared tbh but still a fair amount of indviduality :)

I might give that last point a so I can get even more structures .. loathed to do another major change just yet though ... think I want to get this verion released first :)

Regards,

C.
Martok
Rear-Admiral
Rear-Admiral

Post by Martok »

On a totally random note: I've been meaning to praise Gowron (yet again) for his excellent work on this mod. Honestly, I think it's made the game even more fun to play than it was originally! :D

Also, I'm continuing to notice things I'd not really picked up on before. The most recent example of this is that I realized only a couple weeks ago the full implications of the Romulans being able to build singularity plants but not dilithium mines. (Yeah, I know, I'm slow. :oops: ) When playing as them, it makes for a slightly different colony development strategy in the early game: Since you now need energy to run Singularity Plants, but are no longer constrained by needing star systems with dilithium, a system's potential population and -- to a lesser extent -- energy bonus are of greater importance than before.

A very nice touch, I must say! 8)
KrazeeXXL
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by KrazeeXXL »

Selected wrote:Although this problem only occurs on only one saved game that I am playing at the moment.
sounds like a corrupted savegame for me. load another
Martok
Rear-Admiral
Rear-Admiral

Post by Martok »

Something else I've been meaning to mention for a long time now (I don't know why I keep forgetting):

While the morale penalty from Forced Labor Farms works as it should, the same does not appear to be the case with the morale bonus from Private Farms. There's one (partial) exception to this rule -- the Private Farm's morale bonus does appear to negate the morale penalty from Forced Labor Farms; however, this only applies if you're playing as the Cardassians (since they're the only empire that can build both structures).

In essence, unless you're the Cardassians, the only benefit you appear to get from building Private Farms is the food bonus. I'm not sure why its morale bonus doesn't seem to function properly, but it looks like it either needs to be fixed, or -- if that's not feasible -- then its build cost should probably be reduced. Right now, there's no way Private Farms are worth 1000 credits, unless you're the Cardies (and maybe not even then).

I realize that's a very minor nitpick, but I'd feel remiss if I didn't at least mention it. I'm still enjoying BOP immensely; the galaxy is currently trembling before the might of my Klingon Empire! 8)

EDIT: I also recall the morale bonus from Private Farms not working correctly in vanilla BOTF either. Is this hard-coded, perhaps?
thunderchero
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Location: On a three month training mission, in command of the USS Valiant.

Post by thunderchero »

Hi Everyone,

I just want to note Balance of Power multi installer has been replaced.

same link and version as before only large trek.exe corrected for correct install path.

thunderchero

Return to “Balance of Power Mod”