\\\-- Balance of Power (v1.2c released)--///

Balance of Power Mod; showcase and support/discussion/questions/suggestions/reviews

Moderator: thunderchero

Martok
Rear-Admiral
Rear-Admiral

Post by Martok »

Great work, Gowron! I'm continuing to thoroughly enjoy the changes you've made. :D I do have a quick question, though:

I just noticed that as the Klingons, I cannot set ships to "Train Crew" with only the Tactical College turned on -- I must also power up the Training Facility. Is this a bug, or is supposed to work like that? (Also, is this the case for the Cards, Feds, & Roms as well?)

It's not a big deal to me, but I was curious.
"Evil is easy, and has infinite forms." -- Pascal
Spocks-cuddly-tribble
Code Master
Code Master

Post by Spocks-cuddly-tribble »

I had a short look to this and it happens to all empires. It seems to be that the order of buildings in energy screen (or maybe the building ID not sure yet) decides. If there is more than one training facility then the first of them in energy allocation needs the be powered in order to enable the ship training.
NOTE order of buildings doesn't affect the ship production. One of them running is always sufficient. :)

Maybe Gowron find a way to deal with this issue. Also I hope he'll implement DCER’s great game improvements. :)

timmy_r_p wrote:Is there any compatible way to add new ships to the mod given the problems with using the Ultimate Editor, or does the extensive code-rewrite make this impossible?
You can try it manualy:
viewtopic.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopi ... highlight=

Here’s the old way tutorial:
viewtopic.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopi ... highlight=

And I suggest you to ask DCER and thunderchero for the easiest way and UE version.
I don't know how many bugs is too many but that point is reached somewhere before however many in BotF is.
Martok
Rear-Admiral
Rear-Admiral

Post by Martok »

Spocks-cuddly-tribble wrote:I had a short look to this and it happens to all empires. It seems to be that the order of buildings in energy screen (or maybe the building ID not sure yet) decides. If there is more than one training facility then the first of them in energy allocation needs the be powered in order to enable the ship training.

Ah, I see. Thanks, mate; that's good to know. :)

Spocks-cuddly-tribble wrote:NOTE order of buildings doesn't affect the ship production. One of them running is always sufficient. :)

Yeah, I had noticed that. I just initially couldn't figure out why (when I began producing warships on Qo'noS in large numbers) I couldn't train them -- I'd not realized I only had the College powered up but not the Training Facility.

Spocks-cuddly-tribble wrote:Maybe Gowron find a way to deal with this issue. Also I hope he'll implement DCER’s great game improvements. :).

Seconded! (I presume you're referring to the "unknown ship" issue and the upgrade bug that DCER fixed?) 8)
thunderchero
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Location: On a three month training mission, in command of the USS Valiant.

Post by thunderchero »

timmy_r_p wrote:This is a really nice mod.

Is there any compatible way to add new ships to the mod given the problems with using the Ultimate Editor, or does the extensive code-rewrite make this impossible?
If you use installer from main download page gifs are already 256x256 so ther is no issues with UE adding ships from this tutorial

viewtopic.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=365

thunderchero
timmy_r_p
Cadet 2nd Year
Cadet 2nd Year

Post by timmy_r_p »

thunderchero wrote:

Is there any compatible way to add new ships to the mod given the problems with using the Ultimate Editor, or does the extensive code-rewrite make this impossible?
If you use installer from main download page gifs are already 256x256 so ther is no issues with UE adding ships from this tutorial

thunderchero
Thank you for that :) I was also interested in increasing the number of ships in the game, when I've used the shiptech.sst, shiprace.sst, shiplist.sst and shipdesc.sst from BOP and added them to vanilla I've been able to increase the number of ships (yes 153 just isn’t enough). I've been trying to do this as in my mind BOP still has several ships, that seem weak, or peak very early. Playing as the Federation I recently encountered a large Klingon Fleet and a Starbase (~100 ships) which was 80% Battle Cruisers, I had smaller sized fleet (~60 Cruisers, 20 Assorted Frig/Destroyers), but my fleet annihilated the Klingons (I lost about 2 Cruisers and 15 fast) as my Galaxy Class Cruisers totally out classed the Klingon cruisers (very few Heavy BoP, no Strike Crusiers), the situation would just get worse as the tech progresses (yes the Negh’Var is a beast but they need to be built), it seems a shame to see the ~80 Elite/Legendary BC’s rendered completely obsolete simply due to a lack of Battle Cruiser V.
Spocks-cuddly-tribble
Code Master
Code Master

Post by Spocks-cuddly-tribble »

thunderchero wrote:ther is no issues with UE adding ships from this tutorial
Thanks thunderchero that's very good to know.:) I thought it must be done this way:
Gowron wrote:the UE is not compatible will all the changes that I've done so far (and there will be more). So ATM it's just destroying trek.exe every time I save, and I'd always have to replace it.
DCER wrote:You can go to Settings and set the trek.exe to something that doesn't exist. If you open stbof.res then UE will complain, but everything that doesn't depend on trek.exe should work wothout problems.

EDIT: UE will in this case disable functions that don't work without trek.exe
@timmy_r_p let us know if there is any trouble with BoP exe.

Btw can one of you BoP fans tell me if Goworn solved the vanilla bajoran ship issue on BoP?

They sometimes don't build ships despite the fact that all requirements are fulfilled i.e. POP <60 and EL/ techlevel fits with shiplist values.:?
I don't know how many bugs is too many but that point is reached somewhere before however many in BotF is.
thunderchero
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Location: On a three month training mission, in command of the USS Valiant.

Post by thunderchero »

thunderchero wrote:

I was mistaken the latest version of BOP I did not change gowrons files to 256x256. that was the first installer I made for BOP.

but this is easy to fix open stbof.res with winrar sort by type then extract all gifs to a new folder then sort gifs by diminsions and delete all but 512x512 gifs then use any image editing program to resize them to 256x256 and add only the files you resized back into stbof.res with winrar.

NOTE; do not change name of any file

thunderchero
Martok
Rear-Admiral
Rear-Admiral

Post by Martok »

Spocks-cuddly-tribble wrote:Btw can one of you BoP fans tell me if Goworn solved the vanilla bajoran ship issue on BoP?

They sometimes don't build ships despite the fact that all requirements are fulfilled i.e. POP <60 and EL/ techlevel fits with shiplist values.:?

Oh, yes; Gowron definitely fixed that. The Bajorans nearly always have ships built when I run into them now. :D
Gowron
Code Master
Code Master

Post by Gowron »

Spocks-cuddly-tribble wrote:
Gowron wrote:Dilithium, its importance is already somewhat diminished by the "Phantom Dilithium" exploit. Maybe it can be given significance in a different way...
I think I found an interesting way to solve the "phantom dilithium" issue, to be exact: render it useless via dilithium restriction of shipyards. :P
That would be funny until that MP game where you can only find one Dilithium source, while your opponent has five or six Dil systems running ;)
Spocks-cuddly-tribble wrote:Another thought is to reintroduce the shild generator now restricted to home systems, in order to avert the danger of the popular take-home-system-first strategy. Also harder fortified home worlds would be more realistic.
This sounds good, if a building slot can be freed for this purpose. The required additional slot in the energy allocation screen could be a problem, but we'll see :)

As long as you don't change the total number of ships, you can edit trek.exe and stbof.res separately, but if you want to increase the total number of ships, then it's gonna get difficult.
Spocks-cuddly-tribble wrote:I had a short look to this and it happens to all empires. It seems to be that the order of buildings in energy screen (or maybe the building ID not sure yet) decides. If there is more than one training facility then the first of them in energy allocation needs the be powered in order to enable the ship training.
Wow, that's a funny bug ^^
I'm not sure if it can be fixed, but IMHO that bug is not too much of a problem, since it only affects non-Ferengi home systems, and you'd most probably want to have all training buildings powered when training ship crews, anyway.
But if I find a way to fix it, I will fix it :)
Spocks-cuddly-tribble wrote: Btw can one of you BoP fans tell me if Goworn solved the vanilla bajoran ship issue on BoP?

Yep, this has been "fixed", although it had never been a bug.
The Bajorans had very low weapon tech levels (compared to the other tech areas or compared to the evolution level) in vanilla BotF, so IIRC they had to reach their 8th evolution level in order to be able to build their ships.
A discovery consists in seeing something everybody has seen and at the same time thinking something nobody has thought yet.
Martok
Rear-Admiral
Rear-Admiral

Post by Martok »

Gowron wrote:
I'm not sure if it can be fixed, but IMHO that bug is not too much of a problem, since it only affects non-Ferengi home systems, and you'd most probably want to have all training buildings powered when training ship crews, anyway.

Well please don't sweat it on my account, at least. I was more curious/confused by the phenomenon than anything else. I generally have both the Academy/College and the Training Facility powered up at the same time in my home system anyway. :)

Now, onto another question:
stardust wrote:well, like i said, got into the stbof.ini file with notepad and find the line that says borg=on and turn it to borg=off.

then open the stbof.res file with ultimate editor and replace the image for the husnock vessel (as i know off hand that they always open fire on you) with the one for the borg cube then play around with the sheilds and weapons to your heart's content.

Then you'll have one cube turn up once in a blue moon and you can have a good old scrap without the worry of it chewing up your systems and spawning cubes anymore :D

I realize it would maybe be asking a lot, but I don't suppose there's any way you would do this for BOP, would you? While I really like your altered stats for the Borg, it doesn't change the fact that as they are, they still destroy inhabited systems and eventually spawn multiple vessels. It strikes me that they'd be a hell of a lot more fun (not to mention balanced) if they only showed up only one cube at a time.

Sorry if I sound like I'm wheedling Gowron, but I'd truly love to see this (and I promise I'm not exaggerating when I say I'm completely incapable of modding it myself -- I'm an utter incompetent when it comes to such things). :oops: I very much want to be able to tangle with the Borg, but not in their current iteration.
Anguille
Cadet 3rd Year
Cadet 3rd Year

Post by Anguille »

Thanks to Martok, i am now replaying my fav game of all time with this mod. Turn 120 of my first game with the Cardassians (obviously). It's great fun though i am a little puzzled by the lack of scouts. Playing without cd is a huge plus as well (i can finally play Botf on my travels).

Thanks for this mod.
Flocke
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by Flocke »

Gowron wrote:
Actually it's enough to enable just the first facility for getting training points from both ones. That's what I've seen when testing bop the last few days. And I think it's the same for the moral.

Anyway, I really enjoyed alot of improvements, thx for this great mod Gowron! :D
If you find a way to lower raiding amount, game balance would improve even more. ;)
Martok
Rear-Admiral
Rear-Admiral

Post by Martok »

Anguille wrote:Thanks to Martok, i am now replaying my fav game of all time with this mod. Turn 120 of my first game with the Cardassians (obviously). It's great fun though i am a little puzzled by the lack of scouts. Playing without cd is a huge plus as well (i can finally play Botf on my travels).

Thanks for this mod.

Hey Anguille; good to see you around these parts again! Glad you're enjoying BOP. :D

It's my understanding Gowron removed scouts -- at least in part -- because the AI was building an overabundance of them in lieu of more powerful vessels. Also, I believe he wanted to place varying emphasis on the five empires' scouting/exploration priorities, and this allowed him to do that.

And yeah, you gotta love the no-disk feature. 8)
jaruler
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by jaruler »

so just blazing through the thread i see i few things, has the problems been fixed as i see a few ppl mentioning playing it.

also i take i can just download and install and its ready to be played? does it need to be mointed? i seem to get confused if a mod does?

i guess i will need to rename my botf folder so it does not overwrite it with th mod i have in place at the moment.

thanks. and sorry of these questions have been answerd already.

thanks

have since downloade it and now have it but through the setup it sais error message for an excemption limit to do with messages it said. followed by numbersi clicked continue and it finished. will be playing now.

ok i started as klingons and on early. researched construction up one but was not able to upgrade anything. also there are no buildings (on planet) under energy execpt subspace scanner and shipyard. on the research screen there seesm to be a miss of items like in energy there are no power stns and in fabricators none there the only places that have items to build per level are science and intel, so far after finishing research to 3 on constructionandand food it has not given me the option to upgrade anything.

also so far explored 20 planets and only 1 had minor race!

whats going on? is this a bug or is it modded this way?

thanks
Martok
Rear-Admiral
Rear-Admiral

Post by Martok »

jaruler wrote:so just blazing through the thread i see i few things, has the problems been fixed as i see a few ppl mentioning playing it.

I'm not sure which problems you're referring to. Could you please specify?

jaruler wrote:also i take i can just download and install and its ready to be played? does it need to be mointed? i seem to get confused if a mod does?

Yeah, you should be able to just install BOP and have it ready to go.

jaruler wrote:ok i started as klingons and on early. researched construction up one but was not able to upgrade anything. also there are no buildings (on planet) under energy execpt subspace scanner and shipyard. on the research screen there seesm to be a miss of items like in energy there are no power stns and in fabricators none there the only places that have items to build per level are science and intel, so far after finishing research to 3 on constructionandand food it has not given me the option to upgrade anything.

Balance of Power changes a *lot* of things with the buildings and building upgrades. Some structures -- including the Private Farm, Bunker Network, and Dilithium Refinery -- no longer require energy to operate, which is why you don't see them in your system's energy screen anymore.

Also, Gowron has radically altered the setup for farms, factories, & power plants: Farms and power plants no longer get upgraded at all, as instead you'll receive a hefty 25% bonus for every level of biotech and energy tech, respectively (the bonus in vanilla BOTF is something like only 2%). Factories also receive a 25% production bonus for every level of construction tech, plus which you'll unlock level 2 & level 3 factories at construction techs 5 & 8, respectively.

The upshot of all these changes is that you don't waste all your time upgrading your structures like you did in vanilla BOTF. :)

Also, research facilities are now dependent on computer techs. So to upgrade your universities from level to level 2, you'll need to research computer tech 2.

For a complete list of the changes made, you should check out the mod's ReadMe. I highly recommend you do so, as it will answer a lot of your questions.
jaruler wrote:also so far explored 20 planets and only 1 had minor race!

whats going on? is this a bug or is it modded this way?

thanks

I'm pretty sure Gowron didn't mess with the frequency of minor races. So unless you've set minor races to Few/Some (instead of Many), I'd say you have the odd campaign where there just aren't that many close by to you. It's rare, but it does happen on occasion.

Return to “Balance of Power Mod”