\\\-- Balance of Power (v1.2c released)--///

Balance of Power Mod; showcase and support/discussion/questions/suggestions/reviews

Moderator: thunderchero

Martok
Rear-Admiral
Rear-Admiral

Post by Martok »

Hot damn! I can't wait to try this out!
Gowron wrote:The shiplist has been extended from 125 to 148 ship entries.
New ship classes in v1.1:
Telok (Heavy Destroyer)
Ngort (Scout)
Gaila (Strategic Cruiser)
K'Vort (Heavy Destroyer)
R'tan (Light Cruiser; the Strike Cruiser class has been changed to R'derex [retextured])

SWEET!! The K'vort is back in; oh, happy day! :D

Also, thank you thank you thank you for bringing back the R'tan and switching the Romulan SC to the R'derex -- that's awesome. 8)

Gowron wrote:The technology level bonuses for farms, factories, and power plants have been increased from +2% to +25% per tech level. For example, biotech level 8 makes a farm have three times its nominal output. Instead of having 9 levels of farms, there's just one now, and it becomes more and more effective as research progresses. There's also just one power plant level and three factory levels.

Fascinating. I'll be very curious to see how this affects game play. Personally, I'm excited by the prospect of *not* having to upgrade my structures all the bloody time (especially factories).

Gowron wrote:Research buildings are now made available by just researching computer techs (instead of having to research all techs of a tech level). On the other hand, the technology costs have been increased to compensate for that.

Cool. Nice to see the Computer Tech will be more valuable now. 8)

What about intel structures? Do they still require advancement in all 6 fields?

By the way, did the Shield Generator get removed? I'm eager to see how planetary bombardments work now.
"Evil is easy, and has infinite forms." -- Pascal
trevtones
Commander
Commander

Post by trevtones »

I was just thinking last night I want to start playing BOP again. Now I will for sure. :-)
Don't let your reach exceed your grasp! :mad:
Gowron
Code Master
Code Master

Post by Gowron »

Martok wrote:SWEET!! The K'vort is back in; oh, happy day! :D

Also, thank you thank you thank you for bringing back the R'tan and switching the Romulan SC to the R'derex -- that's awesome. 8)
You're welcome :)
And, thanks to Dafedz, the R'derex is now very... green ^^
Martok wrote: Fascinating. I'll be very curious to see how this affects game play.
It does have a big impact on gameplay, since, for example, morale becomes less important for the industry output at higher tech levels.
It's quite a radical change, but I think the convenience of fewer necessary upgrades is worth it :)
Martok wrote:Cool. Nice to see the Computer Tech will be more valuable now. 8)

What about intel structures? Do they still require advancement in all 6 fields?

By the way, did the Shield Generator get removed? I'm eager to see how planetary bombardments work now.
Intel structures still require the same techs as before. So you can't upgrade your labs *and* your intel centers all the way to the top by just researching computer techs.

Yep, the Shield Generator was replaced by the Training Facility. So even the Ferengi can build normal-rated ships now, although their Training Facility is a bit weaker (+20 Crew Experience) than the others (+30 for the Klingons, who don't get that much of an advantage out of it anyway; +25 for the rest).

Also, although it's already in both the documentation and the readme file, I want to mention that it DOES make sense to build the Training Facility in the home system, even if there's already another training building (e. g. the Central Command). The training effects will sum up.
A discovery consists in seeing something everybody has seen and at the same time thinking something nobody has thought yet.
Martok
Rear-Admiral
Rear-Admiral

Post by Martok »

Gowron, are you planning on adding a self-installer at any point? Because otherwise I'm going to be out of luck being able to play this.

(I'm an idiot when it comes to computers -- I know *nothing* about extracting files using WinZip, backing them up, copying directories to other areas, etc.)
trevtones
Commander
Commander

Post by trevtones »

Martok wrote:(I'm an idiot when it comes to computers -- I know *nothing* about extracting files using WinZip, backing them up, copying directories to other areas, etc.)
First things first it's not advisable to use winzip for botf content. Use Winrar.

Adding modded files to stbof.res is actually pretty simple, is there no tutorial for this yet???

If not I might do one up.
Spocks-cuddly-tribble
Code Master
Code Master

Post by Spocks-cuddly-tribble »

Not enough time for long testing now, but it seems to be just mind-blowing 8) 8)

Gowron you are the greatest! :D

Gowron wrote:I have nothing to do with the auto-installer.
No panic Martok, thunderchero is your man.

Watch for arrival on Latest News & Downloads -> Just Added.
I'm pretty sure it will appear very soon :wink:
I don't know how many bugs is too many but that point is reached somewhere before however many in BotF is.
Martok
Rear-Admiral
Rear-Admiral

Post by Martok »

trevtones wrote:First things first it's not advisable to use winzip for botf content. Use Winrar.

Gah! That's actually what I meant (Winrar, not Winzip).

Not that it matters in either case, though, as I've never really figured out how to open up anything with either program.

trevtones wrote:Adding modded files to stbof.res is actually pretty simple, is there no tutorial for this yet???

If not I might do one up.

There probably is a tutorial somewhere, but I doubt it would help me even so. A couple people (including Nikpalj) have tried to show me how to add modded files to the .res, but to no avail -- I seem to have a terminal case of idiocy when it comes to these things. :?

Spocks-cuddly-tribble wrote:No panic Martok, thunderchero is your man.

Watch for arrival on Latest News & Downloads -> Just Added.
I'm pretty sure it will appear very soon :wink:

Heh. I surely hope so!
thunderchero
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Location: On a three month training mission, in command of the USS Valiant.

Post by thunderchero »

Latest version has been added to download section with installer.

thunderchero
trevtones
Commander
Commander

Post by trevtones »

thunderchero wrote:Latest version has been added to download section with installer.

thunderchero
You're a gentleman and a scholar! :-)

Edit: Little problem. I just ran the self-installer but it installs BOP on C:\botf, my Vista partition. I want it to install to D:\botf. UDM3 installs to D: so any idea why this one won't???

Edit#2: Nevermind, I forgot to change the drive letter when I installed it, I installed it to D:\botf but the folder was empty. It's sorted now.
The_Nighthawk
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by The_Nighthawk »

Thanks for belated birthday present Gowron. :)
Playing BoP whenever the wife allows!
trevtones
Commander
Commander

Post by trevtones »

I'm loving it but me and my Cardassian comrades could really use a scout or at least a ship with some scanning capabilities.
Martok
Rear-Admiral
Rear-Admiral

Post by Martok »

trevtones wrote:I'm loving it but me and my Cardassian comrades could really use a scout or at least a ship with some scanning capabilities.

Well Gowron may have changed things since the 1.02b version, but last I knew the Galor was the only Card ship with scanning ability. (Yeah, it makes things a little tough. :P )
The_Nighthawk
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by The_Nighthawk »

Just played 120+ turns in a multiplayer T1, Medium irreg map.

Wow. I love the changes. The changes to the manned structures are excellent. It's fixed the tediousness of the early gameplay. I actually enjoyed getting through tech levels 2 and 3! It's added an extra element of strategy to picking your way through the tech tree that wasn't there before.

Absolutely brilliant so far Gowron.
Playing BoP whenever the wife allows!
trevtones
Commander
Commander

Post by trevtones »

Martok wrote:Well Gowron may have changed things since the 1.02b version, but last I knew the Galor was the only Card ship with scanning ability. (Yeah, it makes things a little tough. :P )
Starting on tech1 I'm flying blind. I ran into a ferengi fleet and lost half my ships. I guess I'll have to break out UE and fix it for myself.

How far up the tech tree do I need to go before I get a scanner???
Gowron
Code Master
Code Master

Post by Gowron »

Many thanks for the installer, thunderchero :)

Happy belated birthday to you, Nighthawk :)

And yes, scouting is a weakness that the Cardassians and the Klingons have in common. The Romulans used to have the same problem, but now they've got their new Light Cruiser to scout with.
Still, the Cardassians have the best planetary scanners.

Edit:
trevtones wrote: How far up the tech tree do I need to go before I get a scanner???
Cruiser II, Tech 2/3/3/3/2/3.
A discovery consists in seeing something everybody has seen and at the same time thinking something nobody has thought yet.

Return to “Balance of Power Mod”