\\\-- Balance of Power (v1.2c released)--///

Balance of Power Mod; showcase and support/discussion/questions/suggestions/reviews

Moderator: thunderchero

Ovarwa
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Post by Ovarwa »

Hi,
goodone wrote: ur 21 systems r surely badly protected, since u rush ur expansion on behalf of security. and an ai would simply use that to their advantage.
I started a new game to check things out, and here I am, once again, around Turn 100. Horribly protected. No protection at all. My fleet? One scout ship. Yes, the one I started with. I haven't met an AI and can't build Training Centers yet, so why waste latinum on useless Green ships?

For an AI to take advantage, it must first a) encounter me, and b) reach me. By then, I can build some ships.

My home system? Also zero defenses. I have yet to build an orbital battery. Why bother? Having six (and growing) sectors between my home system and the frontier is a pretty nifty defense.
even hostile minors w/ ships could destroy a system or two that way [but, ofc, i imagine u r not allowing such thing to happen].
By not declaring war on any minors, yes. That's a very cheap defense!
those minors r far from fully developed. they still have a long way to go [another 150turns at least], until they get higher building lvls. if u take them so early in the game, they'll be developed the same u r [but with full pop, ofc; not so much an advantage, since u would need to protect them also].
That's one way to look at it. As a Ferengi, I look at that fully populated system as an excellent economic asset worth hundreds of credits per turn. Plus, they have science facilities. If that system does nothing but upgrade itself over the next 150 turns, I come out way ahead of waiting.

Anyway,

ken
goodone
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Post by goodone »

all ur points r valid, ofc, but at this point of discussion it simply depends upon luck and probability of later game development.

u may get simply destroyed by an ai playing like that [or at least get a few systems washed away - which in my mind is a total turn-off], or u may not, depending on many other diplomatic factors.

judging from my experience, the only lucky thing i have is the non-protection pact, which i arranged early in our encounter, or ai would already be attacking my furthest colonies, and messing with the tranquility of my development, which i usually totally dislike. :D

anyway, as for ai's behavior on other lvls of game start - it may be that new formula for support has a thing or two, affecting the way ai behaves. but, it has little or no bad effect on typical lvl 1 game experience. gowron should test it himself, i guess, or maybe other players could add their own experience.
iNqUIrY: whO ArE yOU?! Image
Image a cYbErnEtIc LifEfOrm,
LingErIng On hUmAnItY. Image
Salicious
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Re: Crash Problems

Post by Salicious »

thunderchero wrote:
Javelin wrote:Need a bit of help here. I've played a couple of previous BOP versions and loved them, so wanted to install the newest one. Dowloaded the vanilla and extracted it, then ran the auto-installer .exe for this latest version. It seems to have installed just fine, yet it crashes on an attempt to run:

failed to start because mss32.dll was not found etc.
you need to install main multi installer first

thunderchero
This does not work. Install the main multi first? What is that?

I've tried installing Balance of Power first, then the 1.02 game.
I've tried installing the 1.02 game first, then Balance of Power. Both tries netted me the missing mss32.dll error. I tried downloading that file manually with no success.
Bory
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Post by Bory »

Hi guys, I know I am probably being stupid but i cannot find 'BoP v1.0b full' to download anywhere just the 1.2c can anyone help?
Army37
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Re: Crash Problems

Post by Army37 »

Salicious wrote:
thunderchero wrote:
Javelin wrote:Need a bit of help here. I've played a couple of previous BOP versions and loved them, so wanted to install the newest one. Dowloaded the vanilla and extracted it, then ran the auto-installer .exe for this latest version. It seems to have installed just fine, yet it crashes on an attempt to run:

failed to start because mss32.dll was not found etc.
you need to install main multi installer first

thunderchero
This does not work. Install the main multi first? What is that?

I've tried installing Balance of Power first, then the 1.02 game.
I've tried installing the 1.02 game first, then Balance of Power. Both tries netted me the missing mss32.dll error. I tried downloading that file manually with no success.
In order to play the BoP multi, you first need to install the main multi installer...the new mods require it in order to work. go in the Multi Installer Downloads Section and look for Main Multi Installer 1.0.2 Must Have!!!! ....it's the first one on the menu, download, install and then install your BoP multi.

What the program does is to allow you to install other mods so that you can play either BoP, UDM, UM4, AAM, Galaxy if you choose to install them all or some of them.
Silverbreaker
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Post by Silverbreaker »

hey volks, i like youre mod!
the balance is great ;-)

can someone help me out?
i'd like to add some new ships to bop, but it crashes all the time! ue says always, that my ships have more than 127 plates (wtf)?!

there is no problem in other mods.

//edit: oh, ive read now that this is the limit for botf. the only way to do it will be to share some plates?! but how? delete all plates in bop and than import the complete plates from udmIII?
DCER
Code Master
Code Master

Post by DCER »

Here's a tutorial on how to do it:

https://www.armadafleetcommand.com/botf ... s-using-ue

EDIT:

Also some versions of UE and Bop were incompatible. If the game crashes without even showing the starting menu screen, you'll need to update bop to the latest version. I also recommend you use the latest stable version of UE (0.7.0j)
Silverbreaker
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Post by Silverbreaker »

no: this freshest bop 1.2c mod is completely incompatible with ue (0.7.0j). well - i can update a few ships, but if i will change some names or descriptions of them the game will crash at the building ships- bar and never turn back to stable!

again and again...

nothing helped out. if the game crashes 1st time than nothing will help to cure out the problem in the trek.exe! i can change the names and desciptions back to normal - or recopy the whole original stbotf.res but it doesn't help!

please - could someone check out my mistakes?

http://rapidshare.com/files/435347452/trek.exe
DCER
Code Master
Code Master

Post by DCER »

Silverbreaker wrote:no: this freshest bop 1.2c mod is completely incompatible with ue (0.7.0j). well - i can update a few ships, but if i will change some names or descriptions of them the game will crash at the building ships- bar and never turn back to stable!
You're right, I'm not sure what's going on there. I've tested the dev version and it doesn't have the same problem. You'll need to restore a backup (or reinstall Bop if you didn't have UE set to make backups) then edit it with 0.7.1dev11e - you can find it following the link in my sig.
Silverbreaker
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Post by Silverbreaker »

DCER wrote:
Silverbreaker wrote:no: this freshest bop 1.2c mod is completely incompatible with ue (0.7.0j). well - i can update a few ships, but if i will change some names or descriptions of them the game will crash at the building ships- bar and never turn back to stable!
You're right, I'm not sure what's going on there. I've tested the dev version and it doesn't have the same problem. You'll need to restore a backup (or reinstall Bop if you didn't have UE set to make backups) then edit it with 0.7.1dev11e - you can find it following the link in my sig.
thx - but the 0.7.1dev11e doesn't work even.

every time i went after an discription- and nameupdate (only one ship) to the system starship-building bar, it crashs...

the best mod - ever - without good ships :cry:
DCER
Code Master
Code Master

Post by DCER »

Silverbreaker wrote:thx - but the 0.7.1dev11e doesn't work even.

every time i went after an discription- and nameupdate (only one ship) to the system starship-building bar, it crashs...
I've tested this three times now on regular and large bop - this doesn't update trek.exe only stbof.res and isn't causing the crash. You must have done something else. Or you haven't removed and reinstalled bop first.

You can use Check Integrity in UE to test for some known problems. You can run it on each opened file (stbof.res and trek.exe), anything labeled error needs attention the rest can be ignored.

Good luck.
Silverbreaker
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Post by Silverbreaker »

@DCER
big thx for the support! really - not every one here at this board is so helpful as you are!

i will practise, search, explore and finally learn to solve this problem (i hope :roll: ). in the meanwhile, i'll have to play it without the description and shipnames (its only text)...
Army37
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by Army37 »

I did experience the same problem trying to update ship models using UE...when playing the game and building ships, it crashed...de-installed the mod, re-installed it...tried again to use new models....had no luck...so I de-installed the whole mod and moved on to another one.
Silverbreaker
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Post by Silverbreaker »

Army37 wrote:I did experience the same problem trying to update ship models using UE...when playing the game and building ships, it crashed...de-installed the mod, re-installed it...tried again to use new models....had no luck...so I de-installed the whole mod and moved on to another one.

Last edited by Silverbreaker on Mon Dec 27, 2010 10:48 am, edited 2 times in total.
Silverbreaker
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Post by Silverbreaker »

hi,
i've figured it out, its easy: you can only replace existing(!) ship-slots with new ones and when your done with your descriptions and reorder you shouldn't let save ue any informations into the trek.exe of bop or the game will crash. I think that's what @dcer said at all...

my version of this glory mod is now near as perfekt; new ships with far better textures, new order, new descriptions, new torps/phasers, new minor races, new building-pics(+) and new animations (planetary, voyager pin! etc.) but it still feels like the same ultimate-mod made by @Gowron. its for both, the large and normal edition.

i don't have the permission to release my version 'cause @Gowron not response at all (dead?!) but if someone should ask me via PM, i will disclose the rapidshare.com download-link for the german edition (english; comming soon).
jing_20-_20jang.jpg
jing_20-_20jang.jpg (25.04 KiB) Viewed 7320 times
power of balance :roll:

Return to “Balance of Power Mod”