Complete list of the 1460 lexicon.dic entries

Race Descriptions (lexicon.dic); support/discussion/questions

Moderator: thunderchero

thunderchero
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Location: On a three month training mission, in command of the USS Valiant.

Re: Complete list of the 1460 lexicon.dic entries

Post by thunderchero »

Flocke wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 1:49 pm given I currently don't have a working savegame at hand with any borg and adding one with UE doesn't seem to be fully working.
here is a saved game with a few monsters and borg lol
game11.sav
(192.02 KiB) Downloaded 39 times
Flocke
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by Flocke »

thunderchero wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 2:12 pm here is a saved game with a few monsters and borg lol
thanks, and indeed it shows the cube text here, but again not from lexicon.dic
and I didn't find it being shown in combat or by map tooltips or anywhere else either
CubeNbr.png
CubeNbr.png (194.51 KiB) Viewed 2393 times
cube_combat.jpg
cube_combat.jpg (18.74 KiB) Viewed 2393 times
Given for the homeworld name it is only shown for specific race ui, I also changed and testet for all the other empires. it however is same for all of them. And I can't remember any event that mentions a specific cube either.

So I guess the monster ship names are read but never displayed. :roll:
Flocke
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by Flocke »

I think I failed the most obvious. #206 likely is read for adding new cubes, and then saved as the ship name. Therefore when I load the savegame, the full text is still there, not the replacement. The same likely is the case for many other labels. :idea:

edit: I went through more than 100 turns but most of the cubes disappeared and not a single new one showed up. Still I believe that this is how #206 and others work I identified a matching text but didn't find a matching number.
Spocks-cuddly-tribble
Code Master
Code Master

Post by Spocks-cuddly-tribble »

Flocke wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 3:16 pmI think I failed the most obvious. #206 likely is read for adding new cubes, and then saved as the ship name. Therefore when I load the savegame, the full text is still there, not the replacement. The same likely is the case for many other labels. :idea:
And Captain obvious strikes again! -> GShipList entry; see wiki of a guy called Flocke, IIRC he analysed the savegame files....

Alternatively, in my IDA database, just enter adr of the sub I specified.

Question is how you deal with adding monsters in savegames via UE (ship class from shiplist.sst or lexicon -> cube numbers and Chodak random).

Also remember stuff like the monster map programs for the AI files: viewtopic.php?p=34119#p34119
Flocke wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 3:16 pmI identified a matching text but didn't find a matching number.
See loc_44FADA for new cubes added to the game.

Limitations for adding cubes to the game see random events: viewtopic.php?p=20540#p20540
I don't know how many bugs is too many but that point is reached somewhere before however many in BotF is.
Flocke
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by Flocke »

Spocks-cuddly-tribble wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 3:48 pm And Captain obvious strikes again!
put salt onto the wound :evil:

indeed the ship names are stored to the savegames, however with the few new games I already tried, till then I only spotted one single difference, that is the home system names. I confirmed now that they aren't related to what empire you play, but to whether you load a previous game or start a new one.

For the most text labels however they are not loaded from savegames.
And labels like the ship categories and classes still aren't read from the lexicon either.
Even the empire names in many cases aren't.

new game ship details:
new_game_ship_details.png
new_game_ship_details.png (104.23 KiB) Viewed 2357 times
new game combat:
new_game_combat_details.png
new_game_combat_details.png (136.18 KiB) Viewed 2357 times
Spocks-cuddly-tribble wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 3:48 pm Alternatively, in my IDA database, just enter adr of the sub I specified.
The IDA database is great, but only when you dig some deeper into the code and have analysed it yourself. I already had a look when you posted it, but from that code I clearly can't tell whether the read value is actually printed to any screen. So despite of being interesting and a good indication, it is by far no confirmation, specailly given the many other text duplicates.

If someone likes to do some real proof, just rename #206 with UE for your next game and check on the borg when they show up!
Spocks-cuddly-tribble wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 3:48 pm Question is how you deal with adding monsters in savegames via UE (ship class from shiplist.sst or lexicon -> cube numbers and Chodak random).
Oh that's simple, I don't. :lol:
I know it is bugged, but I don't care on it for now.
Spocks-cuddly-tribble
Code Master
Code Master

Sorry mate, that monster stuff is very inconsistent and my description was a bit misleading (ship names feature vs. ship class[es] in shiplist.sst).

Monster ship data and text strings is not always handled the same way as major/minor ships.

Asm code is confusing, but at the very least you can see how the text string is composed (lexicon entry + trek.exe value for total cubes + trek.exe base number for this cube -> incremented for next cube [with reset bug when loading saved games]).

Looking at this code it writes the (for borg composed) lexicon string to [GShipList+0] should be shipname.

Monster ship names for GShipList:

206 XCube + two mumbers -> Cube %d of %d", borg cube name (asm 58FDD4 first cube number 233 / asm 58FDD8 total cubes 502412)
205 TheCrystalEntity -> shared!
160 Enormous|Juggernaut|Gigantic|Colossus|Leviathan|Tremendous -> Chodak random
115 TheCalamarain
418 Gomtuu
893 Outcast -> Tarellians
262 TheEdoGuardian
1389 EchoPapa607_2
970 Raider -> Husnock

Flocke wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 7:51 pmIf someone likes to do some real proof, just rename #206 with UE for your next game and check on the borg when they show up!
Thunderchero already did this (see his note on Chodak random name, part of the same code).

For easy re-test -> impossible -> build warfleet with build cost of cube buildcost *1,25 -> after turn 11 press F6 key each turn until a cube gets added.

Still monsters shouldn't use the second ship class label in shiplist.sst+28h?

And yes, adding monsters via UE is not a good idea. :wink:
I don't know how many bugs is too many but that point is reached somewhere before however many in BotF is.
Flocke
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by Flocke »

Spocks-cuddly-tribble wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 4:17 pm Looking at this code it writes the (for borg composed) lexicon string to [GShipList+0] should be shipname.
Thanks for the update. I take it as a proof then, am too lazy to test this ingame.

Still it is a difference whether TC confirmed #160 or #206. #160 is special and could be handled different.
True you verified it is used in same code routine, but many values are reused and mixed and unless you confirm the UI code you only can get for sure when you check it ingame. I'd however say chance is very low it is any different.
Spocks-cuddly-tribble
Code Master
Code Master

Even more context, look at the number of total cubes in the cube name of the saved game thunderchero gave you (in your picture above). asm 58FDD8 total cubes (default 502412) is unique and not shared. :idea:
Flocke
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by Flocke »

I added a new main data category for the monsters, cause they are shared on so many screens and don't fit the spacecraft category:

MONSTERS
combat encounter, combat enemy menu, combat fleet details, combat events & summary events
## Data.Monsters ##
98   TheBorg                                 // confirmed by value change: combat encounter, combat fleet details
418  Gomtuu                                  // confirmed by value change
970  ShipName.Raider                         // the raider by exception displays the loaded shipname: "Husnock raider"
115  TheCalamarain                           // confirmed by value change
159  TheChodak                               // confirmed by value change
205  TheCrystalEntity                        // confirmed by value change
262  TheEdoGuardian                          // confirmed by value change: combat encounter, combat fleet details, combat events & summary events
649  TheMinosians                            // confirmed by value change: Echo Papa 607 combat drone
1249 TheTarellians

galaxy map tooltip & system panel tooltip
## Data.Monsters.ShipName ##
418  Monsters.Gomtuu                         // confirmed by code analysis (SCT)
970  Raider                                  // confirmed by code analysis (SCT): Husnock raider
206  XCube                                   // confirmed by code analysis (SCT): "Cube %d of %d"
115  Monsters.TheCalamarain                  // confirmed by code analysis (SCT)
160  Chodak                                  // confirmed by code analysis (SCT): randomly choosen -> "Enormous|Juggernaut|Gigantic|Colossus|Leviathan|Tremendous"
205  Monsters.TheCrystalEntity               // confirmed by code analysis (SCT)
262  Monsters.TheEdoGuardian                 // confirmed by code analysis (SCT) and by value change: galaxy tooltip & system panel tooltip
1389 EchoPapa607                             // confirmed by code analysis (SCT)
257  EchoPapa607_2
893  Outcast                                 // confirmed by code analysis (SCT): Tarellians

Further I added another combat data sub-group for the "VesselType", which is displayed in bottom combat battle fleet panel:

combat group details
## Data.Combat.VesselType ##
1139 Ships                                   // confirmed by value change: also for galaxy fleet & system build -> for all major races & Chodak (159)
207  BorgCubes                               // confirmed by value change
235  Devices                                 // confirmed by value change: Minosian (649) "devices" (Echo Papa 607 combat drone)
1151 XY                                      // confirmed by value change: "%1 %2" for Crystal_entity, Husnock_raider, Gaseous_lifeform, Unknown_lifeform and Edo_god

So these both actually are in use:
Spocks-cuddly-tribble wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 10:46 am 235 Devices -> plural for combat drones (should be unused since BotF prevents more than one monster/sector, except for first placement of cube copies)
cf. 207 BorgCubes
Tethys
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by Tethys »

Spocks-cuddly-tribble wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 5:38 am Even more context, look at the number of total cubes in the cube name of the saved game thunderchero gave you (in your picture above). asm 58FDD8 total cubes (default 502412) is unique and not shared. :idea:
Yes, both values for cube ID are hard coded and already located. I had to find these when I switched the Crystal and Doomsday randoms. I believe it starts at ID 233 and adds a random value no more than 2 or 3. Meaning, the first cube you see will rarely be Cube 233, more likely to Cube 236 or 237. That must be why they decided not to use lexicon entry, so they could make the first Cube ID randomized to some degree. I'd wager they planned to do the same for the max Cube ID (as collective assimilates, cube count increase?)
Not for the weak of heart...
Galaxies MOD v0.4.0 <--- GALM/Galaxies Mod latest version
Spocks-cuddly-tribble
Code Master
Code Master

Correct, looks as if it adds random 1-5 each time, even for the first cube.

But as told, after reloading a saved game it starts again based on 233 + random i.e. in this case you can have more than one cube with the same name.

Flocke wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 3:28 pmSo these both actually are in use:
I see, so basically it's a list of ship types of each party in tactical combat, with the plural used even for single ships.

1139 Ships -> should be also used for Tarellian 29

Monster switch is at 528900. But the code looks strange.

Due to a bug Husnock 2C should go to unk_5857B0?

Only Crystal Entity 25, Calamarain 27, Gomtuu 28 & Edo Guardian 2A should read monster names from next switch @ 4AEC50.

EDIT: Dear lord, it's even more intricate. sub_528920 then sub_44AD80 and both read sub_4AEC88 :shock:

Return to “Race Descriptions (lexicon.dic)”