Plasma weapons

Plasma (i.e.Pulse) weapons; support/discussion/questions

Moderator: thunderchero

jigalypuff
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by jigalypuff »

Spocks-cuddly-tribble wrote: 1. vector issue of the graphics representation (unless jigalypuff is willing to support the project with his knowledge of longish but vector stable torpedo HOBs)
What do you need? A plane or a + ?
thunderchero
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Location: On a three month training mission, in command of the USS Valiant.

Post by thunderchero »

jigalypuff wrote:
Spocks-cuddly-tribble wrote: 1. vector issue of the graphics representation (unless jigalypuff is willing to support the project with his knowledge of longish but vector stable torpedo HOBs)
What do you need? A plane or a + ?
I think this depends is there an error with current rplasma.hob that could be fixed? it is a plane like torpedoes just display as a plane in game.

thunderchero
jigalypuff
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by jigalypuff »

All the plasma hob`s use the same plane, What error is there with the rom one? I think s c t wants a new hob file?
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

jigalypuff

Both rom and klingon hobs display in game as flat (only viewable at certain angles). and some time depending on angle viewing from it looks like it is sideways. 8O

So like you said new hobs will need to be made. plane would be fine. If they display correctly. :wink:

P.S. jigalypuff If you do create some a new hob file for this project could you please include all flt to hob file so if scaling is needed it can be done easier?

thunderchero
Spocks-cuddly-tribble
Code Master
Code Master

Post by Spocks-cuddly-tribble »

jigalypuff wrote:What do you need? A plane or a + ?
First thanks for the offer. :)

I tried to google for the difference of plane / A+, but my knowlegde of 3D moddeling is too limited. If plane = 2D and a + = 3D -animation then I’d preffer 2D in order to prevent perfomance / stability issues.

I just did a experiment (vanilla) with renamed rpthon.hob -> to kplasma.hob and it worked great. :)
Also the scale issue seems to be gone. My guess is BotF used the ship scale due to missing scale in the (unfinished) plasma HOBs.
I don't know how many bugs is too many but that point is reached somewhere before however many in BotF is.
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

Spocks-cuddly-tribble,

I tried :cry:

first edited trek.exe
DCER wrote:

Code: Select all

In trek.exe at 0x9574C replace: A4 01 00 00 ..... with 64 02 00 00 90 90 90 90 90
next renamed
Spocks-cuddly-tribble wrote:I just did a experiment (vanilla) with renamed rpthon.hob -> to kplasma.hob and it worked great. :)
then renamed new kplasma.hob -> hplasma.hob to test on galaxy II (shiplist.sst has plasma stats allready)

tested in-game saw torpedoes but no plasma weapons and still heard phaser fire but no phasers image.

next I edited shiplist.sst for command II from 08 to 01
Spocks-cuddly-tribble wrote:DCER’s code above checks shiplist.sst at +0xBC (plasma attMul). Thus we set this to 1 for all ships supposed to fire pulse weapons instead of beams.
same results :?:

where did I go wrong?

note; the way I could tell it was only torpedoes was all were blue. Plasma should have been green (due to gif assigned).

thunderchero
Spocks-cuddly-tribble
Code Master
Code Master

thunderchero wrote:saw torpedoes but no plasma weapons and still heard phaser fire but no phasers image.
I didn't say the ship fired a plasma animation, but just that there's no issue with replacement of plasma HOBs regarding the movement of the animation (faster than torpedoes & fired from the phaser hardpoints). :wink:

And that the scale issue isn't trek.exe related as I feared first. :)

So in theory we could use the same sort of HOBs as jigalypuff created for his Stargate mod drone weapon.
Just with textures for pulse-phaser/disruptor-bolts instead. Or do I miss something ?

Regarding the sound effect, I'd suggest we care later(low priority imo).
I don't know how many bugs is too many but that point is reached somewhere before however many in BotF is.
jigalypuff
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by jigalypuff »

Working on a cross section now, first try looked ok, but i am rescaleing it.
jigalypuff
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by jigalypuff »

Ok i have tried with both a cross section and an elongated plane, i tried it with the feds set to a scale 0f 1.o in the hot file, you can try the files out yourselves.

http://www.star-trek-mods.com/botfmods/plasmatest.zip
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

Sorry I had no luck with jigalypuff files.

But, I took Spocks-cuddly-tribble idea of editing plasma_2.gif

It is not perfect but much better than original. since they act like phasers and disappear. I could not get a sceenshot. So did next best thing made an avi of battle.

Note red torpedeos white plasma and sound is working and on avi (pluse phaser sound)

plasma avi

I also tested with a new model to see if this could be applied to mods. (Defiant) here is all the file needed to add to 1.0.2 only this file also has avi.

defiant test files

add files in res folder to stbof.res with UE and save, copy trek.exe and game5.sav to install path. (don't overwrite any saves you might still want) load save and click turn.

check them out tell me what you think.

thunderchero
Spocks-cuddly-tribble
Code Master
Code Master

jigalypuff wrote:Ok i have tried with both a cross section and an elongated plane, i tried it with the feds set to a scale 0f 1.o in the hot file, you can try the files out yourselves.
Both versions work great if used/named -> torpedo. :)

Minor issues:

1.) if replay from target view -> direction is wrong.
2.) Background isn't transparent.

Used/named -> plasma the perspective problem doesn't change. :(

Now to the confusing part:

Named as hplasma & fired from Galaxy the scale issue is gone (a clear change).
But when using same file renamed to kplasma with B'rel then scale issue appears again (no change).

That's odd. :?

If I use/rename vanilla torpedo HOBs as round plasma animation then scale is gone with B'rel.

Also your plasma files with B'rel used as torpedo are fine.

So I don't understand this scale behavior.

jigalypuff, could I also test prototype of your drone weapon torpedo itself? (hob+gif)

thunderchero wrote:check them out tell me what you think.
Will do later (it's 6 am here, I was only woken by a mosquito).

jigalypuff's work is just too impressive. :) So I don't want abandon it for the project as yet.
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

Spocks-cuddly-tribble,
thunderchero wrote:Sorry I had no luck with jigalypuff files=same problem you had
I just did a little testing with my files after reading your post.

the original plasma file does uses some phaser stats 8O

I set all phasers and torpedeos stats to 0 and original plasma file fires only once. Remove only torpedeo stats plasma fire mutli times (same as if torpedeo stats are still there but no torpedeos damage). So vanilla plasma file use both phaser (*phaser.hob) and hidden plasma stats.

Just wait til DCER finds out UE will need more stats for plasma
weapons. :wink:

thunderchero
Spocks-cuddly-tribble
Code Master
Code Master

thunderchero wrote:uses some phaser stats ...

Remove only torpedeo stats plasma fire mutli times (same as if torpedeo stats are still there but no torpedeos damage).
I am sorry, but do you mean it uses phaser or torpedo stats?

Phaser it's nothing new(see my old command ship topic). And this was already considered. Anyhow I can't see how this knowlege could be helpful for graphic issues.
Spocks-cuddly-tribble wrote:So in theory we could use the same sort of HOBs as jigalypuff created for his Stargate mod drone weapon. ... Or do I miss something ?
I did miss that BotF somehow distorts plasma (named) files. So the animation sovereignty of the hob files gets biased.

For round animations isn't much of an issue (looks even better sometimes) so I didn't notice during test of vanilla torpedo HOBs as plasma.

I'll try to find/disable the responsible code-sequence. But, due to complex/unkown dynamic data, success is very unlikely. :(
jigalypuff
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by jigalypuff »

Thunder do you mean the drone weapon i made for the sg mod? If so I`ll mail it to you in a bit :)
wicky82432
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Post by wicky82432 »

jiggly i think there trying to get the pulse phasers for the defiant and true disruptors for the klingons and romulans btw im anxious to fire some drone weapons and plasma beams!!!

Return to “Plasma (i.e.Pulse) weapons”