Damage textures

using damage textures with new ship models -> trek.exe basics; support/discussion/questions

Moderator: thunderchero

Tethys
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by Tethys »

I have an idea: (yeah i know, watch out Tethys has an idea)

Could you just copy the phaser code from one model to another and see if damage textures appear on the 'new' models? Its a longshot but its worth a try... if it doesnt work then nothing is lost, if it does work alot is gained... I would do it but I am for a lack of time right now and will be til Saturday.. :(
Not for the weak of heart...
Galaxies MOD v0.4.0 <--- GALM/Galaxies Mod latest version
thunderchero
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Location: On a three month training mission, in command of the USS Valiant.

Post by thunderchero »

Turner wrote:Indeed I have to correct myself. It is the number of damage spots botf uses from the model subtracted by one (if it is not equal with zero).
I have problems getting damage that low without ship being destroyed, So I will agree with you.

but the final damage spot (ship distruction) and final explosion is triggered? So last spot can not be viewed? not subtracted by one?
DCER wrote:
thunderchero wrote:so each polygon may be given it own color?
No idea if this is true for botf, but in general yes.
In creator you can insert any color to each polygon and use no textures
DCER wrote:I'll have a look at the how to.
I hope you understand it better than me.

but I can create more polygons for damage textures to models and name objects "amin" instead of "slot" with the proper ploygon in each object? But would these need to be converted with other normal polygons? slot ploygons are not converted for bsp.

But this still makes me think what are ***_c.hobs for? Looking at them in hex view they are all have same format but differnt code. I also notice the damage code value is similar to the code in the files. So I feel these file are special for each ship model and part of damage textures but how?

now another Idea would be to create polygons for damage spots and create seperate flt to convert to hob? this would be ***_c.hob. But this is not what is shown when you view any ***_c.hob with Ultimate Unwrap3D (unless poygons are removed and only lists locations in file?)

just some ideas, I guess I can convert some vanilla models for testing.

thunderchero
Turner
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Turner »

Turner wrote: Indeed I have to correct myself. It is the number of damage spots botf uses from the model subtracted by one (if it is not equal with zero).
It seems to be, that I have to correct myself for a second time :roll:
The value defines the exact number of used damage spots (no subtraction). The last damage spot will be added, when the ship explodes. Not one moment earlier.

Here is a Sovereign (which is going to explode)with value 01 for the damage spots:
Tethys wrote:I have an idea: (yeah i know, watch out Tethys has an idea)

Could you just copy the phaser code from one model to another and see if damage textures appear on the 'new' models? Its a longshot but its worth a try... if it doesnt work then nothing is lost, if it does work alot is gained... I would do it but I am for a lack of time right now and will be til Saturday.. :Sad:
Every idea to solve the probleme is welcome :wink:

This was one of the first things I tried. The result was a crash of the game, when it tried to load the model.
Flocke
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by Flocke »

thunderchero wrote:But this still makes me think what are ***_c.hobs for?
Hmn, how get's collision detection handled when shields are gone?
I've never thought about yet, but if _c.hob is used for collision detection, reducing it's polygon count might drastically reduce the load on the combat engine. :roll:
Dr_Breen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Dr_Breen »

Push....any progress? i'd help but i am far away from being a code master or understanding exacly where to search
Public BotF / EF2 Teamspeak 3 Server: 83.169.13.55
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

Dr_Breen wrote:Push....any progress? i'd help but i am far away from being a code master or understanding exacly where to search
I tried to create 2 different models but both failed.

DCER post some info on first page I do not understand how to create.
All ANS files must be located in the current directory, if not the animation will be disabled.
I added the "anim" objects to model but without knowing how to create or what is in file above all attempts will fail.

But on a different note I could use some help editing the "hot to hob" exe I have found the limit for max vertices and increased value but crashes on hob creation. I think it has a limit for max output file (hob) size but this value is unknown to me.

thunderchero
Dr_Breen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Dr_Breen »

thunderchero wrote: I have found the limit for max vertices and increased value but crashes on hob creation. I think it has a limit for max output file (hob) size but this value is unknown to me.

thunderchero
are you sure this is a good idea. i recently played udm and with hades and 100 ships vs 100 other ships causes major lags. perhaps because of hades perhaps just because there's about a million of vertices the game has to drawn.
I added the "anim" objects to model but without knowing how to create or what is in file above all attempts will fail.
an idea that recently came to my mind eating rice somewhere was createing an object in creator name it "anim01" (analogical to "slot01") and then what did you add? i thought adding a vertex (by copy pasting one of the models vertex) might makes sense
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

Dr_Breen wrote:are you sure this is a good idea.
For most ship models you are correct (bad idea) but I would like this option for some models. (never know memory usage problem could get fixed) :wink:
Dr_Breen wrote:
an idea that recently came to my mind eating rice somewhere was createing an object in creator name it "anim01" (analogical to "slot01") and then what did you add? i thought adding a vertex (by copy pasting one of the models vertex) might makes sense
Basicly that is what I did I had 2 polygons per anim object (combined to 1 polygon) with them placed on the hull of model like the vanilla models.

But the more I thought about it animation implies movement like the propeller in falcon 4

anouther section in hot to hob how to talks about Dynamic Vertex?
11. Dynamic Vertex:

This is a feature to animate vertex.

Functions available for runtime:

- GLObjectData *glGetDetailObject (objectID);
return the pointer to the most detail object or 0 if object is not loaded.

- GLint glResetDynamicVertex (object, instance, index);
Use this function to copy the original vertices to instances. If index is not
specified, all dynamic vertices will be copied.
return 0 if object is not loaded.

- GLvertex *glGetDynamicVertex (instance, index);
return the pointer to the coordinate of dynamic vertex

- void glSetDynamicVertex (instance, index, vertex);
Set the dynamic vertex. If vertex is specified, it will be copied to instance.

Note:
object is pointer to object returned by glGetDetailObject
instance is pointer to instance data
index is the dynamic vertex index in dynamic vertex table
vertex is pointer to vertex
this sound more like the damage textures? At least to me

thunderchero
Tethys
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by Tethys »

If this is figured out, I will be willing to create new damage textures that would look better than the big grey thing thats there currently (photoshop :P)
Not for the weak of heart...
Galaxies MOD v0.4.0 <--- GALM/Galaxies Mod latest version
Dr_Breen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Dr_Breen »

Tethys wrote:If this is figured out, I will be willing to create new damage textures that would look better than the big grey thing thats there currently (photoshop :P)
of course all the non vanilla models will have to be reconverted and i think that is where we're going to need help i hope all the modelers out there kept their .flt files. (i did :wink: )
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

Dr_Breen wrote:of course all the non vanilla models will have to be reconverted and i think that is where we're going to need help i hope all the modelers out there kept their .flt files. (i did :wink: )
LOL

That is alot of wishful thinking, As for me I would say I have maybe 75% but most are from rescale/rephaser project and that covers all UDM 3.0.1 models plus some UCW models.

But we still have not figured out how to add damage textures and are only a little closer now and still have a lot to figure out.

I did do a little more testing of vanilla files the ***_c.hob is nothing more than a colored dot so most of those can be added to new models. This could reduce some of the battle lag. even some of the vanilla ***_b.hobs could be used for new models (if same class/style only) rescale might be needed. or new models created

next will be to try to allow the different sizes of gif's 256x256 (a),256x256 (b), 128x128 (c) with creator this would reduce battle lag as well.

thunderchero

Return to “using damage textures with new ship models -> trek.exe basics”