Starting a New "All The Ages" Module

All The Ages Mod; showcase and support/discussion/questions/suggestions/reviews

Moderator: thunderchero

User avatar
mrspork
Ensign
Ensign
Posts: 33
Joined: Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:13 am

Re: Starting a New "All The Ages" Module

Post by mrspork » Thu Oct 31, 2013 12:55 am

Hey bambi,

Don't sweat it bro, you just have fun with it and don't listen to these cardies around here. I'll play whatever mod you come up with.

User avatar
brianmcfa
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander
Posts: 134
Joined: Tue Aug 03, 2010 2:00 am
Location: Concrete, WA

Re: Starting a New "All The Ages" Module

Post by brianmcfa » Sun Nov 03, 2013 2:19 pm

Well after a false start, I'm backing up and starting over. At one point I was up to 175 palettes and manually dropping them down was getting very tedious. This time, I'm doing ships first so I deal with the palette issue and a fix by Thunderchero will help with that.

User avatar
mrspork
Ensign
Ensign
Posts: 33
Joined: Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:13 am

Re: Starting a New "All The Ages" Module

Post by mrspork » Sun Nov 03, 2013 5:41 pm

brianmcfa wrote:Well after a false start, I'm backing up and starting over. At one point I was up to 175 palettes and manually dropping them down was getting very tedious. This time, I'm doing ships first so I deal with the palette issue and a fix by Thunderchero will help with that.

Keep at it bambi!

175 palettes? Is there really that many ships in this game?

User avatar
brianmcfa
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander
Posts: 134
Joined: Tue Aug 03, 2010 2:00 am
Location: Concrete, WA

Re: Starting a New "All The Ages" Module

Post by brianmcfa » Sun Nov 03, 2013 7:14 pm

mrspork wrote:
brianmcfa wrote:Well after a false start, I'm backing up and starting over. At one point I was up to 175 palettes and manually dropping them down was getting very tedious. This time, I'm doing ships first so I deal with the palette issue and a fix by Thunderchero will help with that.

Keep at it bambi!

175 palettes? Is there really that many ships in this game?
No, a big chunk of them are for other graphics. The wormhole animation, stars, phasers and explosions, etc. all have their own palettes.

User avatar
mrspork
Ensign
Ensign
Posts: 33
Joined: Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:13 am

Re: Starting a New "All The Ages" Module

Post by mrspork » Sun Nov 03, 2013 11:27 pm

brianmcfa wrote:
mrspork wrote:
brianmcfa wrote:Well after a false start, I'm backing up and starting over. At one point I was up to 175 palettes and manually dropping them down was getting very tedious. This time, I'm doing ships first so I deal with the palette issue and a fix by Thunderchero will help with that.

Keep at it bambi!

175 palettes? Is there really that many ships in this game?
No, a big chunk of them are for other graphics. The wormhole animation, stars, phasers and explosions, etc. all have their own palettes.

Ok, I see.

Hey bambi, speaking of wormholes, is there anyway we can get a bigger radius of travel from the exit point. One or two squares hardly seems worth the risk of losing your ship. Ya know, I think wormholes are a waste unless they are on the large map only. Whats your opinion on them?

User avatar
brianmcfa
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander
Posts: 134
Joined: Tue Aug 03, 2010 2:00 am
Location: Concrete, WA

Re: Starting a New "All The Ages" Module

Post by brianmcfa » Sun Nov 03, 2013 11:45 pm

mrspork wrote:Ok, I see.

Hey bambi, speaking of wormholes, is there anyway we can get a bigger radius of travel from the exit point. One or two squares hardly seems worth the risk of losing your ship. Ya know, I think wormholes are a waste unless they are on the large map only. Whats your opinion on them?
That's something that's beyond me. If I wanted the extra range I just sent a transport through and built an outpost. Otherwise I don't use them much.

User avatar
mrspork
Ensign
Ensign
Posts: 33
Joined: Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:13 am

Re: Starting a New "All The Ages" Module

Post by mrspork » Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:15 am

brianmcfa wrote:
mrspork wrote:Ok, I see.

Hey bambi, speaking of wormholes, is there anyway we can get a bigger radius of travel from the exit point. One or two squares hardly seems worth the risk of losing your ship. Ya know, I think wormholes are a waste unless they are on the large map only. Whats your opinion on them?
That's something that's beyond me. If I wanted the extra range I just sent a transport through and built an outpost. Otherwise I don't use them much.
Hmmm...a sound tactical move but hopefully you sent some escorts to protect it?

Ya know bambi, there's something about you that puts me at ease when I talk to you.

But man those eyes! Are you sure you don't want me to recommend a good federation doctor for those? :smile:

Hey bambi, I'm really curious, you gonna show some love for the fedz and make the defiant totally awesome?

User avatar
brianmcfa
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander
Posts: 134
Joined: Tue Aug 03, 2010 2:00 am
Location: Concrete, WA

Re: Starting a New "All The Ages" Module

Post by brianmcfa » Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:33 am

mrspork wrote:Hey bambi, I'm really curious, you gonna show some love for the fedz and make the defiant totally awesome?
I'm making at least two versions. A "normal" one and a more expensive one that cloaks. I'd like to make it so the cloaked version was only available to build if you had an alliance with the Romulans but I don't think there's an easy way to do that.

User avatar
mrspork
Ensign
Ensign
Posts: 33
Joined: Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:13 am

Re: Starting a New "All The Ages" Module

Post by mrspork » Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:42 am

brianmcfa wrote:
mrspork wrote:Hey bambi, I'm really curious, you gonna show some love for the fedz and make the defiant totally awesome?
I'm making at least two versions. A "normal" one and a more expensive one that cloaks. I'd like to make it so the cloaked version was only available to build if you had an alliance with the Romulans but I don't think there's an easy way to do that.

I gotta tell ya bambi, that's the most original idea ive heard in this whole entire mod forum. Bravo!

There still might be hope yet for this old game with thinking like that. :up:

User avatar
brianmcfa
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander
Posts: 134
Joined: Tue Aug 03, 2010 2:00 am
Location: Concrete, WA

Re: Starting a New "All The Ages" Module

Post by brianmcfa » Mon Nov 04, 2013 1:21 am

mrspork wrote:
brianmcfa wrote:
mrspork wrote:Hey bambi, I'm really curious, you gonna show some love for the fedz and make the defiant totally awesome?
I'm making at least two versions. A "normal" one and a more expensive one that cloaks. I'd like to make it so the cloaked version was only available to build if you had an alliance with the Romulans but I don't think there's an easy way to do that.

I gotta tell ya bambi, that's the most original idea ive heard in this whole entire mod forum. Bravo!

There still might be hope yet for this old game with thinking like that. :up:
I'm may have a Keldon Class for the Cardassians that cloaks as well since that was canon too but again that was with a Romulan collaboration. I was thinking maybe the Ferengi have an "acquired" bird of prey design that could cloak since they did have a couple in TNG. Obviously the Romulans would have every ship cloaking. The Klingons would probably get cloaks for any second generation ships, the other three races would have to have a pretty high tech level when they get them and then only one type each.

User avatar
brianmcfa
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander
Posts: 134
Joined: Tue Aug 03, 2010 2:00 am
Location: Concrete, WA

Re: Starting a New "All The Ages" Module

Post by brianmcfa » Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:01 pm

After a restart, I think I've got my list of Federation ships done although I may still modify it later. I try to stick to the Star Trek canon as much as I can but I have to guess or use my own artistic license part of the time. So for better or for worse, here's the tentative Fed list:

Scouts: Daedalus Class, Oberth Class, Nova Class

Destroyers: Intrepid Class (from Enterprise), Saladin Class, Freedom Class

Heavy Destroyer: Akula Class, Defiant Class

Light Cruiser: Miranda Class, Intrepid Class (from Voyager)

Medium Cruiser: Miranda Class, Constellation Class, Akria Class

Heavy Cruiser: Enterprise Class (NX-01), Constitution Class, Excelsior Class, Ambassador Class, Galaxy Class, Sovereign Class

Strike Cruiser: Nebula Class, Prometheus Class

Freighters: DY Class, Ptolomy Class, London Class, Edward Class

Some of these ships have upgrades so there may be more types than listed. I.E. the Constitution has both the original type and the refit version. Also I know the Miranda is listed in two areas but I used the ship model without the roll bar as a light cruiser and the one with it as a medium cruiser since the roll bar version would have better weaponry.

I didn't add some ships that are available as models, such as the Steamrunner Class, because I want to make sure I have enough space to give other races a comparable amount of ships. If I have room as I near completion, I'll add them in.

User avatar
brianmcfa
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander
Posts: 134
Joined: Tue Aug 03, 2010 2:00 am
Location: Concrete, WA

Re: Starting a New "All The Ages" Module

Post by brianmcfa » Thu Nov 07, 2013 7:25 pm

Well in the process of tinkering, I've decided I need to start picking which races I'm adding and which I'm deleting. I'm trying to choose races that either were mentioned or appeared in more than one series or at least in multiple episodes. Secondary considerations are whether or not they were spacefaring, if there are ships already created for the game, or if they would add a feasible special building to improve gameplay.

This is my first rough draft of who is being added and who is being deleted:


Likely Adds: Gorn, Tholians, Orions, Tellerites, Xindi, Breen

Possible Adds: Denobulans, Miradorn

Dark Horse Adds: El-Aurians, RIgelians, Axanarri, Deltans, Horta


Likely Deletes: Anticans, Selay, Mizarians, Antedeans, Mintakins

Possible Deletes: Bandi, Caldonians, Takarans, Ullians, Malconians, Pakleds, Angosians

Dark Horse Deletes: Tamarians, Talarians, Chalnoth, Sheliak


This is by no means a comprehensive list, just thoughts for the day. I'm not above adding or deleting any race. I'd even consider removing the "major minors" like the Vulcans or at least imploding their home world and making them wanderers. Of course doing something like that might screw up the entire Star Trek universe and make anything new coming out somewhat less enjoyable and we wouldn't want that.

User avatar
brianmcfa
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander
Posts: 134
Joined: Tue Aug 03, 2010 2:00 am
Location: Concrete, WA

Re: Starting a New "All The Ages" Module

Post by brianmcfa » Tue Nov 12, 2013 1:53 am

brianmcfa wrote:Well in the process of tinkering, I've decided I need to start picking which races I'm adding and which I'm deleting. I'm trying to choose races that either were mentioned or appeared in more than one series or at least in multiple episodes. Secondary considerations are whether or not they were spacefaring, if there are ships already created for the game, or if they would add a feasible special building to improve gameplay.

This is my first rough draft of who is being added and who is being deleted:


Likely Adds: Gorn, Tholians, Orions, Tellerites, Xindi, Breen

Possible Adds: Denobulans, Miradorn

Dark Horse Adds: El-Aurians, RIgelians, Axanarri, Deltans, Horta


Likely Deletes: Anticans, Selay, Mizarians, Antedeans, Mintakins

Possible Deletes: Bandi, Caldonians, Takarans, Ullians, Malconians, Pakleds, Angosians

Dark Horse Deletes: Tamarians, Talarians, Chalnoth, Sheliak


This is by no means a comprehensive list, just thoughts for the day. I'm not above adding or deleting any race. I'd even consider removing the "major minors" like the Vulcans or at least imploding their home world and making them wanderers. Of course doing something like that might screw up the entire Star Trek universe and make anything new coming out somewhat less enjoyable and we wouldn't want that.
Well I'm still in the deciding phase but I started moving forward with a few. I'm fairly certain I'll be swapping out the likely adds with the likely deletes along with one of the possible deletes, likely the Bandi. I'm also thinking I'll go ahead with the Denobulans but I haven't decided who else I'm getting rid of. I'm leaning towards the Angosians. I'm still thinking about the Miradorn because they have a really cool ship model available in the Theta Class but I don't know who I'd replace yet. Now I'm open to suggestions on what the structures should be. Stardust had a decent balance with his structures but since I'm replacing different races, I didn't want to throw things out of whack too much. I was thinking of reducing the effectiveness of some of the other races buildings (oh and for those that hate the Bolians, I'm changing them to straight intel bonus instead of just espionage).

User avatar
Badbru
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander
Posts: 113
Joined: Tue May 13, 2008 2:00 am

Re: Starting a New "All The Ages" Module

Post by Badbru » Sat Nov 16, 2013 12:29 am

brianmcfa wrote:After a restart, I think I've got my list of Federation ships done although I may still modify it later. I try to stick to the Star Trek canon as much as I can but I have to guess or use my own artistic license part of the time. So for better or for worse, here's the tentative Fed list:

Scouts: Daedalus Class, Oberth Class, Nova Class

Destroyers: Intrepid Class (from Enterprise), Saladin Class, Freedom Class

Heavy Destroyer: Akula Class, Defiant Class

Light Cruiser: Miranda Class, Intrepid Class (from Voyager)

Medium Cruiser: Miranda Class, Constellation Class, Akria Class
Heavy Cruiser: Enterprise Class (NX-01), Constitution Class, Excelsior Class, Ambassador Class, Galaxy Class, Sovereign Class

Strike Cruiser: Nebula Class, Prometheus Class
Freighters: DY Class, Ptolomy Class, London Class, Edward Class

I didn't add some ships that are available as models, such as the Steamrunner Class, because I want to make sure I have enough space to give other races a comparable amount of ships. If I have room as I near completion, I'll add them in.
I like this list except for one change I would make, others might disagree. See my highlights of your post. I personally hate the Prometheus class. We only ever see it in one episode and at that point it's allready been stolen, and it's only a prototype/experimental design, and I just don't like pointy ships for the Federation. I would move the Akira class to where you have Prometheus, and put the Steamrunner class where you have Akira currently. Defiant, Steamrunner, and Akira designs are all products of the anti Borg rethink at Starfleet and reflected increase militarization and all three should be quite potent combat vessels. YMMV.

User avatar
brianmcfa
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander
Posts: 134
Joined: Tue Aug 03, 2010 2:00 am
Location: Concrete, WA

Re: Starting a New "All The Ages" Module

Post by brianmcfa » Sat Nov 16, 2013 4:22 am

Badbru wrote:
brianmcfa wrote:After a restart, I think I've got my list of Federation ships done although I may still modify it later. I try to stick to the Star Trek canon as much as I can but I have to guess or use my own artistic license part of the time. So for better or for worse, here's the tentative Fed list:

Scouts: Daedalus Class, Oberth Class, Nova Class

Destroyers: Intrepid Class (from Enterprise), Saladin Class, Freedom Class

Heavy Destroyer: Akula Class, Defiant Class

Light Cruiser: Miranda Class, Intrepid Class (from Voyager)

Medium Cruiser: Miranda Class, Constellation Class, Akria Class
Heavy Cruiser: Enterprise Class (NX-01), Constitution Class, Excelsior Class, Ambassador Class, Galaxy Class, Sovereign Class

Strike Cruiser: Nebula Class, Prometheus Class
Freighters: DY Class, Ptolomy Class, London Class, Edward Class

I didn't add some ships that are available as models, such as the Steamrunner Class, because I want to make sure I have enough space to give other races a comparable amount of ships. If I have room as I near completion, I'll add them in.
I like this list except for one change I would make, others might disagree. See my highlights of your post. I personally hate the Prometheus class. We only ever see it in one episode and at that point it's allready been stolen, and it's only a prototype/experimental design, and I just don't like pointy ships for the Federation. I would move the Akira class to where you have Prometheus, and put the Steamrunner class where you have Akira currently. Defiant, Steamrunner, and Akira designs are all products of the anti Borg rethink at Starfleet and reflected increase militarization and all three should be quite potent combat vessels. YMMV.
I think you're onto something. Since they list the Akira as a heavy cruiser anyway, it wouldn't be too far off to consider it a strike cruiser so I think that'd work okay. The Steamrunner class is listed as a Heavy Frigate and I usually equate that with a smaller ship but it's dimensions are just a little bigger than the Intrepids. I debated on bumping the Intrepids to a medium cruiser but since the Steamrunner comes in a bit bigger, I think you've got it placed right.

Right now I'm working on the minor's ships which is why I had to figure out which minors I was putting in the game.

Post Reply

Return to “All The Ages Mod”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users