shipname.bin

shipname.bin; support/discussion/questions

Moderator: thunderchero

Flocke
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Re: shipname.bin

Post by Flocke »

thx sct, cause of your great speech, I didn't realize you already put all info into that little code block. At least I guess it is, don't have the time to check it all now. With a first look to ida it might be some work but not too much and would give good practice to fix so I'll see what I can do once I have time, at least if more group names really is what peter wanted, with tc's latest post I begin to wonder whether peter had problems extending name list length per group instead :roll:
No, I think he wanted more groups, or is there a bug in ue, you all confuse me now. :lol:

Peter in case you need more groups, providing me with a simple modification that's not working cause of a too large grouplist would be very helpful.
Peter1981
Rear-Admiral
Rear-Admiral

Post by Peter1981 »

@flocke -- to clarify my point I'd like more shipname groups -- not more ship names per group.
Spocks-cuddly-tribble
Code Master
Code Master

Post by Spocks-cuddly-tribble »

Nevermind! I think I see an easy solution. Should be done in 10 minutes. I'll see if I find a quite minute today. So fingers crossed. :wink:
Flocke wrote:I begin to wonder whether peter had problems extending name list length per group instead :roll:
That wasn't the case. When adding more (used) name groups to shipname.bin (names per group is no problem AFAIK) without extending i.e. relocating dynamic area of shipname.dat, BotF overwrites the dynamic data following the address of shipname.dat, with fatal results.
Relocating to fixed address would mean just changing ~10 address pointers (+2 size values), elsewise (dynamic address) means rewriting the whole asm stuff (boring + appendix fix has to be redone).
Also, since you're the leading authority in analysing shipname.dat (your analysis was base of the shipname appendix fix), your questions were just a bit too funny.
I don't know how many bugs is too many but that point is reached somewhere before however many in BotF is.
Flocke
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by Flocke »

ah, well then I'll see what you come back with later, currently am on some other issues anyway.
shipname.dat was just a minor side step of analysing savegames, I never analysed it's use in trek.exe and have only vague remembering on it at all, so bear with me :lol:
Spocks-cuddly-tribble
Code Master
Code Master

thunderchero wrote:there are 62 groups that can be edited I would like to have 75 -100 groups if possible :?:
Unfortunately, this idea is not practicable. :cry:

So I'm afraid that, due to shortage of time, I'm forced to provide you instead with up to 248 (62*4) name groups. :wink:

PS: I see there're some questions wrt to other topics, I'll try to answer them next week.
Last edited by Spocks-cuddly-tribble on Thu Oct 27, 2011 5:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
I don't know how many bugs is too many but that point is reached somewhere before however many in BotF is.
thunderchero
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Location: On a three month training mission, in command of the USS Valiant.

Post by thunderchero »

Very nice SCT,

I think that should be more than enough for any mod. :P

I also sent a PM to DCER to see if these changes could be allowed by UE.

thunderchero
Flocke
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by Flocke »

so you split dword to byte if I got it correct, no bad idea :)
lots of changes, would even take me quite some time to go them through and realize what you did
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

Hi everyone,

Has anyone gotten this to work? so far I am no longer crashing but all names are blank (no text) I have double and triple checked code and files. I have tried with 1 extra group and 248 groups. all attempts have had same results. :?

all my attempts I have added (63rd group) to end of shipname.bin and only 1 ship name and 7 ship names for a minor ship. I will try more tomorrow but I hope someone will have some ideas.

any idea why I am having problems?

thunderchero
Spocks-cuddly-tribble
Code Master
Code Master

Code needs some minor adjustments anyway (appendix @ shows up again, missed a register due to rushing). So send me your shiplist.sst & shipname.bin (if vanilla applicable?) and I'll check them out (during my test-run names & iterations were fine).

@ Flocke - Yes, base addresses +0,+1,+2, group pointer +3/group & byte registers. Should do fine unless more than 255 names per group
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

Spocks-cuddly-tribble wrote:Code needs some minor adjustments anyway (appendix @ shows up again, missed a register due to rushing). So send me your shiplist.sst & shipname.bin (if vanilla applicable?) and I'll check them out (during my test-run names & iterations were fine).
here is my files for adding 1 extra group (3E), then (3E) was used on the Vulcan ship in ship list. I also added the corrected font files and trek.exe used. This was all on unedited multi installer 1.0.2

1.rar

EDIT; I was doing more testing and with new trek.exe code and vanilla shipname.bin and shiplist.sst the ship names displayed :? (not new groups of course)

thunderchero
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

Sorry SCT,

My files were correct My code was correct, I took a look at files I added and UE is changing them as I add them. 8O

So all is good as long as I add them with winrar. :D

hope you did not spead any time on looking at my problem.
Spocks-cuddly-tribble wrote:Code needs some minor adjustments anyway (appendix @ shows up again, missed a register due to rushing).
Are you missing the edited fnt files I had same thing but no name until I added the files (btw I forgot to add these files to ECM2)

thunderchero
Spocks-cuddly-tribble
Code Master
Code Master

Don't worry mate, I didn't even download it yet.

Also forget about fnt-files, it's a (solved) code issue, like I said in ECM2 topic.
thunderchero wrote:I took a look at files I added and UE is changing them as I add them. 8O
I have known that DCER is a dreaded Mal and Spy -ware producer all along...:wink:
DCER
Code Master
Code Master

Post by DCER »

Spocks-cuddly-tribble wrote:I have known that DCER is a dreaded Mal and Spy -ware producer all along...:wink:
In my defense I do have to make money from this somehow. :wink:

I'll have an update as soon as I can.
Flocke
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Re:

Post by Flocke »

Peter1981 wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2010 2:47 pm added 38 new Names one for each index (44 bytes) 2byte index (e.g. 5a 00) the FF FF and a single letter as a name diffrent for each new ship index.
While cleaning up some UE file load routines, I stumbled on the Sheliak shipname.bin entries that all have 1B 00 set instead of FF FF:
1B: Exterminator
1B: Eradicator
1B: Obliterator
1B: Annihilator
1B: Disintegrator
1B: Neutralizer

No idea why that is. Is there anything special on the Sheliak ship names?

Edit: The Sheliak have race id 26, so it might also be the race number, which by accident is only set for the Sheliak.
Spocks-cuddly-tribble
Code Master
Code Master

Re: Re:

Flocke wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 8:53 amI stumbled on the Sheliak shipname.bin entries that all have 1B 00 set instead of FF FF:
Vanilla shipname.bin is fine (Sheliak FFFF same as all others), must be an editing error.
Or are you talking about shipname.dat and/or one of the patch codes changing structure of shipname.dat? viewtopic.php?p=31850#p31850

Return to “shipname.bin”