BOTF 2

BOTF2; support/discussion/questions

Moderator: thunderchero

Should BOTF be remade whilst keeping its charm?

I think a renewed BOTF will deffinately show gamers that this game is the best game that has ever been made
91%
I either like the original BOTF and spend my time just remodding it continuously or just give up with trying to keep up with 21st century gaming tech
9%

Total votes: 67

thunderchero
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Location: On a three month training mission, in command of the USS Valiant.

Re: BOTF 2

Post by thunderchero »

Welcome back Malvoisin,

long time no see. :wink: I moved your topic back into general chat. The new Archives sections are still being sorted out for what should stay and what should be moved.

Sounds like your project has some new material and looks nice from the quick look I saw.

thunderchero
Malvoisin
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by Malvoisin »

thanks thunderchero.

indeed we finished some nice additions for our next release, the Alpha 7 version which will finally have a real start menu with galaxy options and so on. Along with the random events and the space monsters which are nearly done it will get real close to what botf offers except the vital 3d part. but I guess even that stronghold will eventually fall (hopingly.. ;)).

how are you all doing? The resolution problem seems to have been fixed, so now 1024x768 are finally working with botf. Oh and I see a new graphical engine, self-coded one or hex edited / modified botf one?
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

It has been a little slow on here even with all the new releases. :cry:

And yes the 1024 project was nice to get completed (although a small percent of drivers still have problems) but this is MPR problem not project problem, It was just not ment for 1024 x 768.

Flocke's Mpr++ is also progressing nicely, The new model format will take some time to create enough ships to properly use. But in time they will get there.

thunderchero
Malvoisin
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by Malvoisin »

I'm sure they will.

Eventually my hope is that we can provide a game, which allows for a more or less complete recoding of botf as a mod to bote. that way releases and mods here could speed up their development significantly by using real code instead of hex values. But this is still future talk I guess..
Flocke
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by Flocke »

hi Malvoisin,
I don't wanna pronounce too much as my time is limited and so my capabilities.
However, C++ coding with botf has been solved and is what I did with mpr++, which is still in an early state.
The engine so far is based on Ogre3D, CEGUI, OIS, toLua++ and pugixml, and also in control of full user input.
Current work is targeting the replacement rendering using ogre mesh support, cause mpr emulation is far too slow and lacks on 3D effects. Maybe TC likes to add one of the newer screens of the great ships he already did (preferably in mpr++ topic).

I also hope to see QD back soon to contribute programming on botf. He decrypted old botf gui rendering to make 1024x768 project possible and also analysed and developed lots of other cool things last year. :)
Alongside, it's hard to follow SCT on all his latest break throughs fixing bugs and improving botf's gameplay.

cheers
Malvoisin
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by Malvoisin »

seems like you've made good progress, well done Flocke.

the FreeOrion guys also have an Ogre implementation, I believe for a year or so they are coding at it so far, so maybe if you don't already know about it, seeing through their work might help a bit.
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

Flocke wrote:Maybe TC likes to add one of the newer screens of the great ships he already did (preferably in mpr++ topic).
Ok I could not just pick 1

Malvoisin
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by Malvoisin »

I can certainly understand why that is... ;)

btw. I noticed the skybox respectively the stars in the background are shining through. Impressive station!
FTDonovan
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Post by FTDonovan »

Too bad I'm too new to using Mac... I love this game but I haven't found a way to install it in my MacBook Pro... I guess I'll keep using my original copy of BOTF in my old laptop.
Malvoisin
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by Malvoisin »

do you mean getting to run BotE on your mac or Botf?

if bote, then this site tells you how to do it: http://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php ... 0&start=30

basically you need to use winetricks and download the gdiplus files missing in regular mac os.
Malvoisin
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by Malvoisin »

I thought I give an update on the progress of BotE so far. We reached Alpha 7 which can be downloaded here: http://www.heise.de/download/birth-of-the-empires.html .
Despite the download page being german the game is in english. We do not have an english download mirror right now after the old one from the star-trek-games.com site is gone.

Major improvements over the last version are:
- start-screen
- Alien entities
- random events
- all six races playable
- different galaxy sizes and options like minor race density, star density etc.
- new troop types

Already implemented in our latest beta test version is a system governor which greatly reduces the amount of micromanagement while allocating your labor units. For those who know how to use a compiler (in our case MS Visual Studio), everything's here on github: https://github.com/bote-team/bote

Below some screenshots from the german version:
OmegaAllianz19.jpg
OmegaAllianz19.jpg (122.87 KiB) Viewed 7179 times
OmegaAllianz10.jpg
OmegaAllianz10.jpg (137.48 KiB) Viewed 7179 times
kha_top5.jpg
kha_top5.jpg (187.84 KiB) Viewed 7179 times
kha_Kampf.jpg
kha_Kampf.jpg (227.67 KiB) Viewed 7179 times
kha_Galaxie.jpg
kha_Galaxie.jpg (198.85 KiB) Viewed 7179 times
Flocke
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by Flocke »

great progress! :up:
do I spot a minimap there on first screen? that's new as well right? An awesome feature I miss for long.
Malvoisin
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by Malvoisin »

thanks! yes there is a mini map on galaxy map screen which can be toggled on and off in bote.ini or in-game settings menu. Actually the mini map came with Alpha5 already (I had to look that one up in the changelog myself ;)).

From what I've seen, your mpr++ recoding project makes good progress as well! Sadly the videos you posted in the respective threads are private and I can't view them. Would have liked to watch some live-action there.

BotE is coming down the stretch though progress has been slowing down a little throughout this year due to Sir Pustekuchen taking a larger period of time off from programming. Maybe 1-2 years till the final feature-complete version comes out, hopefully.
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

Malvoisin wrote:Sadly the videos you posted in the respective threads are private and I can't view them. Would have liked to watch some live-action there.
anjel is in control of those, But best way would be to download MPR++ and preview for yourself. :wink:

thunderchero
Flocke
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by Flocke »

Malvoisin wrote:Actually the mini map came with Alpha5 already (I had to look that one up in the changelog myself ;)).
Ahh, never seen it before. :up:
Malvoisin wrote:From what I've seen, your mpr++ recoding project makes good progress as well! Sadly the videos you posted in the respective threads are private and I can't view them. Would have liked to watch some live-action there.
Well, not much actually. I got kinda busy and need to finish the botf plugin system I started before I progress with mpr++ again. :roll:
and yes anjel cancelled his account a while ago and the videos went off, I should just remove them for now
edit: ah well it's posted by tc, I can't remove it :lol: however I still have the videos on disk
when I talked anjel on it before, thought was to get new videos done once there is an update
I however can't tell when that will be :???:

Return to “BOTF2”