BOTF 2?

Other Projects; support/discussion/questions

Moderator: thunderchero

eber3
Captain
Captain

Post by eber3 »

HsojVvad wrote:The screen looks very good. Oh how I wish this game was out, and I could buy it and play it.
The link to download it is right in the post above yours. The only problem with it, is that it has no Trek content.

Interesting. Doesn't seem to be a way to save or exit the game. There must be, but it's hidden well. Can't even close it from the Taskbar, had to call up task manager and end process just to exit the game.
Malvoisin
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by Malvoisin »

There is ;). In the screenie you can see a swap-bar at the top. It shows up once you move the mouse above the End Turn button. In earlier versions we had it fixed there but it doesn't look that good so we made it hideable.
smallaxe0217
Ensign
Ensign

Post by smallaxe0217 »

Downloaded and trying it now, but is there any reason why two of the major races are unavailable for use?
Malvoisin
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by Malvoisin »

because they've got no UI graphics yet. We once had one for the Khaorons as you can see here:

but for obvious reasons we couldn't take it over to our new content, it's too much botf graphics.

Once someone creates all ~30 menu and button graphics, the remaining two races will become playable.

I should also give a few important hints on installation and game controls in order to make life easier for new players:
  • Installer is multilanguage, the language chosen there determines game language later-on.
  • Moving mouse above turn end button to the upper left corner on the screen activates options menu bar where you can see save your game or open in-game chat.
  • At first start, a bote.ini settings file is created. It will be either located at bote main folder or your documents and settings folder. If it is not created or nowhere to be found, set yourself write permissions for bote main folder. The ini allows to set difficulty levels (BABY, EASY, NORMAL, HARD and IMPOSSIBLE in capital letters) and several other options for map creation and music/sound.
  • Scrolling on the map has been made easier. Instead of using scrollbars (which still can be enabled back again in bote.ini) you can now have your left mouse button pressed down and move the mouse around the map to have it scrolled quickly.
  • Switching systems in buildmenu gets easier when you use your extra mouse buttons or cursor left and right.
marhawkman
Commander
Commander

Post by marhawkman »

that's interesting.... your version has dilithium as a planet special instead of a star special....
Malvoisin
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by Malvoisin »

yes, that helps making deritium (that's how we call it) more manageable and also transportable between star systems. You can also have star systems with multiple deritium deposits thus creating multiple output per turn.
marhawkman
Commander
Commander

Post by marhawkman »

Honestly I'd make it work either way. A system might have it as a stellar special or a planet special.

in the show they seemed to get it from both places.
Malvoisin
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by Malvoisin »

really? Memory Alpha says on planets only: http://memory-alpha.org/en/wiki/Dilithium

would be a bit hot on sun surfaces to start mining dilithium there wouldn't it ;).
Spocks-cuddly-tribble
Code Master
Code Master

Post by Spocks-cuddly-tribble »

Shall depend on your sun blocker... but I guess he's referring to stuff like asteroids...
I don't know how many bugs is too many but that point is reached somewhere before however many in BotF is.
eber3
Captain
Captain

Post by eber3 »

Dilithium comes from planets, not stars. The icon next to the star in BOTF indicates dilithium in the system, not in the star.
Malvoisin
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by Malvoisin »

I think planets make most sense. Of course asteroids may work too but then there's no reason why there should be just 1 deposit per system. You could bind those asteroids to the nearest planet also and get your (possibly multiple) planetary bonus.

Return to “Other Projects”