Dream Trek Game Idea(s)

Other Projects; support/discussion/questions

Moderator: thunderchero

AlexMcpherson79
Commander
Commander

Dream Trek Game Idea(s)

Post by AlexMcpherson79 »

yeah yeah, just something I'd like to get out of my system... or rather onto my computer syste- oww! Bad pun I know but damn, don't hit me for it.

I'm not like NPC's with a bazillion hitpoints.

OW! *rubs arm*
:lol: Sorry. couldn't help it.

--

Okay, this is like a cross between: Star Trek Invasion (for the PS1), Bridge Commander, Starfleet Command (played nonlegit copy for demo purposes, as I have done with most of the other games I now own. that would include Bridge commander, if I could find a copy that wasn't so outrageously expensive and not bundled with all the other games I already got.)

and finally, Elite Force.

Now, before I start, I'd like to say that weapons would be implimented in this way:

Torpedoes do the most hull damage, but are not as effective against shields. Photons have a slight tracking ability when fired at it's fastest speed i.e. the photon torps travel as fast as they can to their target. slow 'em down to get better tracking. we know from STVI that they do track targets and alter course. They're not dumb-fire like BC suggests

Quantum Torpedoes don't really have much of a variable speed, nor much of a better tracking ability,we haven't actually seen them fired away from their targets like photons have, to my recollection, in fact, they're more powerful BUT they're more difficult to strike mobile maneuvering targets with. Borg cube and sphere and the phoenix in FC were both 'relatively' stationary. by that I mean those 3 wasn't changing speed or course at the time of the 3 battles. So bigger bang, but not nearly so effective in 'close combat'.

The next set of weaponry are the pulse weapons. Defiants' pulse weapons, Klingon/Romulan Pulse disrupters etc. They're weapons of destruction, if you will. Fixed firing arcs, sufficiently wide on the larger ships (and wider still on the klingon BOP because the mounts include swivel mechanisms) but smaller ships, less room for turning the emitters around. Defiant has a significanty larger vertical arc than a horizontal one, for instance, although mostly due to the positioning rather than mechanics.
Used to weaken shields and/or destroy targets - they are not weapons of precision.

And now, Beam weapons. A range of power-per-second. A good scale is, say, Defiants' phasers in 8 seconds continuous to do same damage as a single volley from the pulse weapons.
They are precision weapons, used to disable. The federation used them for such, although their power can be varied for the different combat goals, if a ship is low on torpedoes and/or doesn't carry pulse weapons.
--

So that's sorted out...

Story is, The dominion War is breaking out, and hundreds of ships are suddenly being attacked across a, sector... (say, 10ly-wide sector, dont have the star charts to indicate what the actual name for 10x10x10 ly cube of space is called)

Now, these are not all starfleet. Civilian included, and you're in charge of a large wing of patrol-role ships. Small 'Fighters' if you will.

And that's how you start off. In a 3D strategic view, you set course and all that, it shows a pseudo turnbased/real time view of the fight. i.e. a turn represents an hour or something, and you could do everythign from just strategic. But like the numbers game, sometimes that human touch tips the scales with luck adding or subtracting. A general can still lose a war despite having superior numbers if his strategies aint right.

So it's like SFC. Move your ships to intercept enemies etc in sectors... and then battle!

Now it's like Star Trek Invasion... You're in control of a Patrol ship. It's relatively weak on weapons, but decent enough shields. You'll get to upgrade your 'micro fleet' soon enough. But first, battle. Here the BC/Invasion spacesim feel comes into play. Some BC-like micromanagement, Boost engines when torpedo warnings come in, or shields. Then back to weapons, etc.

You can then disable the ships through that precision stuff I was onabout - weapons (for single-emitter stuff, like a jemhadar bug ship - all it's front-mounted weapons.) yadda yadda.

Varying difficulties produce varying enemies, easy being two or three ships versus civilian, etc. Insane? suicide rams when they're damaged so engines become priority. once those are gone, you can shoot from their blind spots! Etcetera.

now the fight is over, and you get supplies and stuff, to upgrade your ship, and your wing. You can opt for downsizing any ships to fighters - ships capable of toe-to-toes with bug ships, to maneuverable for regular beam weapon target locks (so weak shields) so high offense, low defense.

Or upgrade to fully fledged starships, but higher difficulties present the suicide ram thing, which wont work on fighters or the 'patrol craft' that you start with. But with the starships, you get the wider selection of weapons plus large supply of torpedoes.

Also, you can take the scenic rather than strategic route, i.e. drop down menu, select the nearest battle and 'fly' your way there. And like MMO's with overlapping 'zones' for on-the-fly loading like in World of Warcraft, it loads the data for the overlapping regions you're in, unloading the ones your leaving. this way, it can provide an on-the-fly feel of large fleet engagements in the later stages of the 100-ship-plus in a single sector stuff without a hundred ships actually being in proximity to each other.

You know, really take the space sim bit to great length.

Now comes the Elite Force side of things.

If you've got a starship, and you take a 'capture' mission... here's why you just dont blow the crap out of your target with pulse weapons.

in the fight, pulse weapons take down the shields, and precision-strike at key points - engines, weapons, and transporters so they can't beam aboard when you beam over.

Then you got to Squad-FPS mode, beaming over as a Security officer/or otherwise..

Ammo is in the form of self-recharging packs, like in Mass Effect 1 (only that was 'heat') so none of that power station/crystal crap in the EF games.

also, the gui doesn't provide a HUD. Rather, a CoD4MW-like "shoot from the hip or raise up to aim".

Use a rifle, and you gotta follow your squad NPC who has a tricorder taking you where-ever (or bring up a padd with the downloaded map of the decks) or go tricorder and a hand phaser, tricorder giving you the map plus locations of nearest lifesigns :P

Movement wont be quite so restricted... crouch, jump, etc... all there. No photon-jumping though.

Just a dream though. It'd be f*cking hard to do.
eber3
Captain
Captain

Post by eber3 »

How about a Trek themed Leisure Suit Larry starring the ladies of Trek?
Lathon
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by Lathon »

I didn't read your entire post, but I there is a game being created that is based on ST: Bridge Commander. it's a game ST: Excalibur. You can check it out at http://stexcalibur.com/
AlexMcpherson79
Commander
Commander

eber3 wrote:How about a Trek themed Leisure Suit Larry starring the ladies of Trek?
For some reason the sarcasm in your post doesn't come off in a friendly manner...
AlexMcpherson79
Commander
Commander

Lathon wrote:I didn't read your entire post, but I there is a game being created that is based on ST: Bridge Commander. it's a game ST: Excalibur. You can check it out at http://stexcalibur.com/
Ahm just grumbling about no good star trek games since... erm.... STV:EF/Armada 2.

Legacy sucked @$$, EF2 sucked not so much, but still was a bit of a brown mouth, and stock BC didn't have enough variety.

I mean, Galaxy, Sovereign, Akira, Ambassador, THATS IT? Oh and klingon BOP, Romulan Warbird... Cardassian-thingy hybrid, and two of the ships from whatever new race it was?

And even then, those models sucked, like no phaser strips on the sovereign. just a bit of a 'wtf'. Even the cinematics of that galaxy class getting a new warp nacelle - the nacelle isn't even 'attached' when the ship starts moving out. Talk about DUMB-ASS.

and ST-Excaliber is being made by what, 1 or 2 people? No clue here so feel free to correct me on that. But it's gonna take forever to be finished, like the BotF2 projects, and whats more, there's a chance that it'll get canned anyway, legal issues when they get nearer to completion.

Any stargate fan here remember the large numbers of stargate mods for other FPS games getting canned due to Cease+Desist orders when the Stargate FPS game was getting made (which didn't so much get cancelled, as work stopped when support stopped and money ran out.... which is happening again with Stargate Worlds, too... come to think of it.)

Its just all frustration with the gaming industry and how it treats any scifi license not named 'star wars'. (and dont get me started on that one)

I just put my effort into coming up with random, or not-so-random ideas for games for the series' I like. I'm no programmer, and the extent of modding capability I have is in stat modifications in .lua files, like for homeworld 2, .odf files for armada 1/2, and anything made easy with a modding program, *like* UE.
Flocke
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by Flocke »

I don't expect much from the common gaming industry anymore. They mostly seem to be stucked in creating the same games with same old flaws over and over again, and as long as enough people are willing to spend their money for it, there will not be much of a motivation to change this behavior.
Lately especially the online copy protection, everyone hates it but people are buying those games anyway.

However, I like the idea of commanding a little wing of fighters flying through space and making your way. But I think it would fit even better when playing the maquis. That would be fun, taking control of federation ships and outposts while they are at war with the dominion. *hehe*
Now thinking on, you could make a real great story out of it.
But I'd never expect such a game to come real in a way we would want it to, not by the gaming industry. :lol:
Lathon
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by Lathon »

AlexMcpherson79 wrote:
Lathon wrote:I didn't read your entire post, but I there is a game being created that is based on ST: Bridge Commander. it's a game ST: Excalibur. You can check it out at http://stexcalibur.com/

and ST-Excaliber is being made by what, 1 or 2 people? No clue here so feel free to correct me on that. But it's gonna take forever to be finished, like the BotF2 projects, and whats more, there's a chance that it'll get canned anyway, legal issues when they get nearer to completion.

Any stargate fan here remember the large numbers of stargate mods for other FPS games getting canned due to Cease+Desist orders when the Stargate FPS game was getting made (which didn't so much get cancelled, as work stopped when support stopped and money ran out.... which is happening again with Stargate Worlds, too... come to think of it.)

Its just all frustration with the gaming industry and how it treats any scifi license not named 'star wars'. (and dont get me started on that one)

I just put my effort into coming up with random, or not-so-random ideas for games for the series' I like. I'm no programmer, and the extent of modding capability I have is in stat modifications in .lua files, like for homeworld 2, .odf files for armada 1/2, and anything made easy with a modding program, *like* UE.
No, it's being made by a team of people, actually. Most of whom were modders for Bridge Commander. Their creating a brand new game engine for the game itself. They'll already made quite a few ship models and interior shots. Just go look over there (the link is in my last post)
AlexMcpherson79
Commander
Commander

Yeah and I said 1 or 2 people under the 'not much work in making a game engine' banner...

(Yes I do know, well, guessing, that it takes so much more effort to create an engine from scratch, that 1 or 2 people in that time frame wouldnt even have a graphical representation of their engine in action even in pre-pre-pre-pre-alpha status. I'm just doing it because, well, I'm not the guy who likes to spread misery, so if I let you lot feel smarter, then whatever. I'm sure I'll feel smart at something... one of these days. I'm sure of it.)

I heard about it ages ago, but not seen any progress aka news on the front page. I dont visit the website much though... um. Yeah. Dipping into 5 or 6 franchises at a time will do that though, and then theres numerous communities to each.
*shrug*.

One thing I always wondered about the defiant, is that the little ship is always seen in combat on the scales of 'yes, at this range we can see human heads as a dot in the distance'

but weapons range for phasers (beams) has always been stated at ranges further than we can see. (Something never actually used in the show, either... why don't they just have an episode, where some ship is decloaking at the edge of weapons range, and literally... firing, then cloaking. And none of that 'Oh it's 2km off of the port bow' crap that they did use in STVI with a fire-while-cloak BoP which we never saw again (and really, connecting with the *romulan* ship (or reman!?) that had the same ability in nemesis, wouldn't it be logical to assume that, okay, Romies gave Cardies Cloak for the attack on founders homeworld... so during the dom war...

give the feds cloak!? They did the defiant for RECON purposes, so surely giving the ships a 'loan' of cloaking tech more advanced (but not AS advanced as their best) was in *their* best interest...

argh... Now I'm getting back into star trek nitpicking. grr. I'm gonna go listen to music soundtracks (battlestar galactica season 3 ost is the best) and play some BotF. Or try one of the botf2 i downloaded free from before, knowing beta work though, it'll work after five days on the sixth try.

The seventh day I'll give it a rest...
:roll:
utra
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Post by utra »

The team is alot more than 2 people if you look its atualy about 12 working currently but the members offen shift from what i understand of it they have had about 20 people contribute towards it with individual models ect. infact i know one of them lol.

Along with that a team of 12 people whom have some form of experence in games development can create a game within 6 mounths working full time. Making an engine for a game wth a good team can take a while, using that engine to create a game some times just as long. The hard part is geting the thing to work corectly, ever picked up a game that was riddled with bugs? some of these games maybe unplaybull those were games rushed into the market by the producers.

Producers, Manage and pays for games production.
Development Team, Makes the game.

Excaliber will take time because there not just trying to make a game there trying to make the ultimate trek universe experence, that and the team works in there spair time to well... be able to afford to live.

Have you ever played a game called Star Trek: Tactical Assault, it is a dumbed down version of bridge comander with SFC 3 eliments other than being a little chalanging its atualy fun to play.
eber3
Captain
Captain

Post by eber3 »

AlexMcpherson79 wrote: For some reason the sarcasm in your post doesn't come off in a friendly manner...
There was no sarcasm in my post. Simply a humorous suggestion for another cross platform game. While you may not find my suggestion funny, it was not intended to be sarcastic nor unfriendly.
AlexMcpherson79
Commander
Commander

Ah, it was the leisure suit Larry bit that made it look like a bad-sarcasm comment. I take it there is a game or something, called Leisure Suit Larry?
eber3
Captain
Captain

Post by eber3 »

AlexMcpherson79 wrote:Ah, it was the leisure suit Larry bit that made it look like a bad-sarcasm comment. I take it there is a game or something, called Leisure Suit Larry?
Yes it is an old sex based computer game. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leasure_Suit_Larry
Leisure Suit Larry is a series of adventure games written by Al Lowe and published by Sierra from 1987 to 2009. The character, whose full name is Larry Laffer, is a balding, dorky, double entendre-speaking, leisure suit-wearing (but still somewhat lovable) "loser" in his 40s. The games follow him as he spends much of his life trying (usually unsuccessfully) to seduce attractive women.
Selected
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Selected »

You know what they say about sarcasm; its the lowest form of wit
AlexMcpherson79
Commander
Commander

Only the people who can't do sarcasm well say that :P

and, okay, Eber,, you have too much time on your hands.

Return to “Other Projects”