BOTF 2.0 Wish List

Other Projects; support/discussion/questions

Moderator: thunderchero

cleverwise
Captain
Captain

BOTF 2.0 Wish List

Post by cleverwise »

I really enjoy BOTF, as I am sure you do, however I thought it would be fun to dream of features for BOTF 2.0. Therefore below is a list I have been putting together for features that would be nice to see if a BOTF was ever redesigned in commercial form.

Note: Order does NOT imply importance. What say you?

====================================
Birth Of The Federation 2.0:
====================================

-------------------
Overview:
-------------------

Turn based game where you play a major faction in the Star Trek universe. The game would be similar to BotF 1.0 where you build an economy, develop your military and through colonization, conquest, and diplomacy build your empire

-------------------
Basics:
-------------------

Playable powers include Federation, Klingon, Romulans Cardassians Ferengi, Borg, and Dominion
Ability to turn off powers so that only two majors are required
Keep idea of development/research advancement
Random events toggle
Number of minors
Number of systems
Multiplayer: LAN, Internet
Turn based, however auto save last (setup able turns, like 5)
Ability to save unlimited games with custom file titles
Very mouse aware including scrolling wheel function and cursor at edge of map will cause scrolling
Ability to set opening/starting tech level, systems, ship number, and credits
More minor races with ability for them to grow and start building their own empires
Intel could be targeted at an individual enemy system
Diplomacy should include the ability to send more threats and demands and in multiplayer should allow for custom messages
AI that acts like on screen counterparts
Ignored treaties don't cause so much damage
Ability to type in custom gift credit amounts

-------------------
Graphics:
-------------------

Modern graphics engine with rich detail and high resolutions (think Sins Of Solar Empire ST Mods)
the ability to zoom in on a system and see planets circling (star(s)), different star types, ships moving on trade routes, player starships and outpost/starbase in system accurately displayed, weather on planets (gas swirling on gas giants, clouds swirling and moving on M classes, sand blowing on dessert planets, etc)
in combat the ships take noticeable damage (parts flying off, drives on leaking plasma, better explosions, etc)
Of course all ship, structure, and race profile pictures would be upgraded

-------------------
Maps:
-------------------

Massive maps that are multiple times the size of first version and in 3D so stackable exploration
Galaxy shape means something so that a map is not just a rectangle, in other words parts would be unexplorable
Asteroid fields, nebulas, worm holes, black holes, various anomalies
Ion storms (if random events are on)
Ability to build monitoring networks (remember in shows crews having to deal with breaking monitoring systems) – useful for huge maps in areas where no systems are close for scanners
Ability to lay spacial mines (need ships with ability to detect and clear mines but of course would be slow going)
Ability to build certain structures outside of a system like mines and monitor stations and network

-------------------
Systems:
-------------------

Include similar buildings as BotF 1.0
No limit on build queues with scrolling
Ability to move items up and down build queue with no loss industry points for in progress builds
Ability for multiple systems to work on one build to increase build speeds
Ability to transport population via a troop transport ship (they did it in the shows)
Ability to share food resources between systems by setting internal trade routes
Ability to build system only craft, like fighters or mining ships that can't warp
Ability to give systems to other powers
Planets more balanced so M class world nets a lot more population than a barren world
Ability to have multiple powers trying to colonization a system by grabbing different planets in a demilitarize zone
Ability to leave a 100 character note – useful to note system usage like intel, food, research, etc
Remaining industry required to finish current item in build queue, which is also the buy cost - one click to buy

-------------------
Ships:
-------------------

No limit to the number of ships in a fleet
Ability to repair ally ships at starbases/systems with ship yards
Ability custom name ships
Ability to set patrol route for ships so they travel between various sectors
Ability to set mustering point after build so ships that are built will automatically go to x sector
Ability to build repair ships or upgrade certain ships that could repair damaged ships could either take much longer than a starbase or only repair up to say 75% or something
Every taskforce gets an assigned name like Taskforce #87, however this is editable
Ability to view list of ships for empire including name of assigned taskforce, if applicatible
After combat display list of ships for all sides and status of ships
Some mode, intercept, that will attack ships even in avoid status

-------------------
Music:
-------------------

Epic easy listening music scores that totally change based on the major power
Ability to load your own mp3's via playable directory
Hailing frequencies close,

Jeremy
Whether you rise or fall depends on... you!
Flocke
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Re: BOTF 2.0 Wish List

Post by Flocke »

well, that's a loong list with alot nice points :up:
However I've read plans for a BotF2 far too often and they all throw in a whole load of nice additions that sound great but actually do not bring real benefit to the game and the gameplay. I mean it's all alot of work and big teams have failed on games like MOO3 with huge nice feature lists but lots of issues too.
So for me, what I'd like to see is a list of important key futures that BotF either is really bad on, like issues with the dumb AI, and Network issues and such, or that really do benefit to the game so eventually one day we get a BotF 1.5
And best order it by view and category AND most importantly do some voting on what people find most important.
And also move nice to have features to it's complete own category - they just burden the overview and really are just interesting once the important stuff is done.

Don't want to say your list is bad cleverwise. It's a great one, just none to work with as you can add possible features endless. And there've just been so many of these lists already.

So what about a BotF 1.1 list? What do people feel is necessary to have a worthful BotF 1.1? I have not seen a single list. ;)
From there then build up a list for BotF 1.2 and so on eventually
I think that would do much better. And also be better to talk on.

Return to “Other Projects”