Yet another Franken-Monster-Stein-BOTF-Whatever

Other Projects; support/discussion/questions

Moderator: thunderchero

Callahan
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Re: Yet another Franken-Monster-Stein-BOTF-Whatever

Post by Callahan »

It is intentional you can start a game with a non-botf race. If you choose to be the Gorns, they will of course be included.
The F3 and F5 things aren't bug free yet. They do not display a race that has lost all but the joined minor systems, too.
I have to review the conditions under which a race is considered to be non existent.
Join the klingon empire at www.goldentowns.com/?i=352931
Become an affiliate of Kahless himself and play for free to earn real money!

You will be protected and advised by the chancellor himself.
Long live the empire!
Q'pla!
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

I meant the races from the ST shows, not BotF ones, my bad.

F3/F5: no, that's not it. I had 2 completely different games. The starmap had a bunch of minors, all non-SFC. F3 and F5 showed a completely different set of minors (as in, not the same ones), including all of the SFC ones. They were not in the starmap. Even the BotF minors were not in the starmap.
Callahan
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Post by Callahan »

I'll have to take a look at that thing. I only noticed races are disappearing too early. Once I have completed the political decision review I will take a look at that. One thing is sure: as a tester, you are priceless. You found a lot of things I never noticed during my sparse tests. Thanks again.

Long live the empire!
Q'pla!
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

Hehe, thanks, I've actually heard that quite often in the numerous games I helped test and develop.
I wish I had more free time to make more in-depth testing, but alas I don't... but I'll help as I can.
Callahan
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Post by Callahan »

Here is the next version attached.
I added autoresolve if you end unresolved battles hitting backspace.
AI is now also using the new function to resolve combats with other AI empires.
Ran only a few tests on it.
Attachments
SFC V.rar
(159.98 KiB) Downloaded 171 times

Long live the empire!
Q'pla!
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

Here's some feedback, I apologize for being kind of telegraphic but I don't have much time to spend on creating elaborate texts :wink:

Shipdesign screen

Federation, wrong dilithium cost
OP/SB 1 dilithium instead of zero

Klingons, inconsistency in names
Ship Designs - K-C9V
Hull Types - C8V

Cardassians, naming of hulls
Hull Types - OP Hull -> Outpost Hull
there are other cases too, in other civs

Gorn, wrong order of hulls
Hull Types - ... SB > Freighter > Outpost -> ... Freighter > Outpost > Starbase (full name too)

Starmap

- Homesystems:
Qo'nos -> Qo'noS
Bandi -> Deneb
Bynar -> Bynaus
Caldos -> Caldonia
Edo -> Rubicun
Tangua -> Tanuga

- Races:
Dominion -> Founders ? (Sol reads Humans, not Federation)
Antedians -> Antedeans
Gorns -> Gorn
Lissepains -> Lissepians
Tanguans -> Tanugans

F3/F5 screens

minors in alphabetical order
plural races names (Klingon -> Klingons, etc)

Antedian -> Antedean(s)
Bynarian -> Bynar(s)
Tanguan -> Tanugan(s)

It seems the game now takes a lot longer to start (1+ min), really long. Or is it just my old laptop?

The Summary button could be disabled when there are no new messages (some events do not notify you directly on turn start but are in the summary).

There should be a key that would display available hotkeys in the ship design screen and the combat engine. And there should be tooltips.

In the ship design screen, pressing DEL should prompt the player for confirmation (see hotkeys above).

There should be a way to leave the ship design screen without saving the design. The workaround is kind of annoying - pressing ESC and then F1 or F2 to get back to the game.

The Buy button should be disabled if the Shipyard is not active and the current item being built is a ship. You still get the message stating the cost, which is weird. Nothing happens if you click it though, of course.

You can give a ship the Train order even if you don't have an academy at the location, and the order will remain active even if the ship moves to another system.

Not having enough dilithium available doesn't seem to have any effect on (warp) movement of ships. That's kind of strange.

When combat occurs, the player should be told who he is fighting, and the assets of both sides - kind of an intro window. He shouldn't need to look up that information somewhere in the UI.

Is combat auto-resolve working? My ships (unarmed colony ships at that) seem to always escape unscathed and move along their path like nothing happened.

Some AIs don't seem to expand, and some expand fast(ish). It's probably related to the wildly varying homesystem initial and max populations. One empire starting with half pop and another with almost full pop is enough to create a large imbalance. Secondary empires also have lower max pop.

The AI doesn't seem to be very good at choosing which systems to colonize first, seems somewhat random.
I've seen the Cards colonize a 9 (!) pop system when there were a couple other 140+ nearby, both with all other stats much better too.

There are very very few M planets being created in a map. Kind of boring. Systems in general are boring. There was this system with 9 V-type planets! :shock: Another one with 5 GGs and 4 Vs.

I've had the Market Crash event on turn 3, lost 150 credits which left me with -10 credits (negative)... doesn't make much sense I think?

Some weird things, haven't had the time to loo into them further:

Playing as the Orions, I got a few battles against no opponent.

Playing as the Borg, when ending the 1st turn, the game suddenly switched to a Romulan game at turn 100+, playing itself (things were moving and values changing) and then hanged.
Callahan
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Post by Callahan »

Thanks for all that info. I'll add most of it to my to-do/fix list. Especially the combat intro box seems like a good idea.

For exiting the ship design hitting F2 should bring you back to the system screen shiplist, if I remember correctly.
You can issue orders to any fleet no matter the location. For example you can set a fleet to bomb and then send them away, so you see what the ships will do at their destination without having to check when they will arrive. They will carry out any preselected orders on arrival, if they can.
Exceptions are colonization and construction orders, those are instant.

Long live the empire!
Q'pla!
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

I think validating fleet orders on assignment is preferable, but that's just an opinion.

BTW, you can build several stations in the same sector (outposts and starbases, including a combination of the two), not sure if that's intended? I mean, with all the changes you made, it might be, just checking.

The amount of marines a troop transport carries (138 for the basic one IIRC) does not say much about their combat strength relative to a system's defense / population. When planning an invasion, having an idea about how many transports you might need could be useful.
Callahan
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Post by Callahan »

Yes it is intention to be able to build several bases. I am not quite sure how to implement orbital gun emplacements, and so for now those bases serve that purpose.

A system currently gets 10 Marines per pop on invasion. Their actual combat value is modified by the defense quality.

Long live the empire!
Q'pla!
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

Callahan wrote:Yes it is intention to be able to build several bases. I am not quite sure how to implement orbital gun emplacements, and so for now those bases serve that purpose.
I thought the ability to create in-system ships (no warp) was for that purpose.
A system currently gets 10 Marines per pop on invasion. Their actual combat value is modified by the defense quality.
A system with 400 pop gets 4000 marines? Wow, that's a lot of troop transports.
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

Callahan wrote:For exiting the ship design hitting F2 should bring you back to the system screen shiplist, if I remember correctly.
Correct, duh!
You can issue orders to any fleet no matter the location. For example you can set a fleet to bomb and then send them away, so you see what the ships will do at their destination without having to check when they will arrive. They will carry out any preselected orders on arrival, if they can.
Exceptions are colonization and construction orders, those are instant.
That's kind of weird, because the fleet will not bomb (or invade) unless you're at war with the target.

A few more random thoughts:

Clicking on the energy image in the Production screen could, similar to what happens with farms, activate enough facilities to cover the colony's power needs (offline structures).

The upper left corner of the starmap image seems to have been doctored? It's somewhat noticeable.

Building stations costs credits from the treasury? It's a non-no in the early game, the player should be warned or it'll bankrupt him.

My relations with a minor were sabotaged, but I hadn't met the minor yet (around turn 20).

A few turns later I caught a saboteur, but I was producing zero intel points (no int sec).
Tethys
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by Tethys »

Callahan wrote: Mon Dec 08, 2014 5:08 am Presently, Tethys planet types are being prepared to be included, in case he grants permission to use them. Yet the terraforming tree still makes trouble, as they are very different in size.
Any content directly created by me (animations, ship build images) may be used without prior permission as long as credit is given in readme and/or credits list.

Mega necro, but permission granted :)
Not for the weak of heart...
Galaxies MOD v0.4.0 <--- GALM/Galaxies Mod latest version

Return to “Other Projects”