Other Projects; support/discussion/questions

Moderator: thunderchero

CaptainNet
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Work goes well ...

Post by CaptainNet »

Hello,

Work goes well... here is a screenshot of the latest development in the User Registration process. This is the first screen you will encounter when registering for the game. It is the empire selection screen.

The neat thing about the way I have the script designed is that it is all shown on multiple pages, and races can be added, subtracted, or made inactive, or even turned into NPCs all from the database without changing one line of code.

Here's the shot:

I will begin work on the rest of the registration/login/logout process shortly....

Hope you enjoy,

~Joel
Star Trek MMOG in production: <a>Shadows of the Federation</a>
matress_of_evil
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander
Location: South Wales - Not The Australian One, The Other One!

Post by matress_of_evil »

Since I see you've accepted our offer of help and are working on the race descriptions, allow me to provide you with some content you might find useful.

Myself and Dafedz have been working on a database of info for BOTF2 for almost three years now, and this database includes race descriptions, amongst a LOT of other detail. You can find the database Here. You'll find the race information on the Races Page 1-4 links on the left.

The website i've linked to is owned by Dafedz. The database was also written by him; my input is purely in the ideas, content, and betareading, so you may want to directly ask his permission before you use it. I believe he has accounts on both AFC and star-trek-games, so send him a PM on either forum. I doubt he will have a problem with your using it though.
Check out the latest news for Star Trek: Supremacy, Birth of the Empires and more at Star-Trek-Games.com!

"Anyone without a sense of humour is truly at the mercy of the rest of us."
CaptainNet
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Post by CaptainNet »

Hello Matress,

I tried sending him an email to the "new" email address listed on trekmania, but so far I haven't gotten a response. I May try sending him a pm here in just a bit.

Thank you,

~Joel
matress_of_evil
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

That email address is the only one i've ever had for Dafedz, so it's not that new. :lol:

I've got him as a contact on MSN so i'll give him a nudge th enext time I see him for you. A PM would probably be the best bet though.
Check out the latest news for Star Trek: Supremacy, Birth of the Empires and more at Star-Trek-Games.com!

jigalypuff
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by jigalypuff »

those databases that daf created are for any fan game he said, i reckon you can go ahead and use them
CaptainNet
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Post by CaptainNet »

matress_of_evil wrote:A PM would probably be the best bet though.
Yeah I sent Dafedz a PM today, so we will see :) (I am hopeful)
jigalypuff wrote:those databases that daf created are for any fan game he said, i reckon you can go ahead and use them
Thanks for the info Jigaly. :)

Here is what I will do:

I will begin using the Dafedz database as soon as I can get a credits page built into the game and not a moment before. I think that anyone who wishes to use this software to set up their own site would be more than willing to accept that their would be a tastefully done credits page.

I hope that works for everyone as Dafedz may have dropped off the map till after the holidays.

I don't want to hold up the design of this game, but then again, I don't want to step on anyone's toes. I think that this is the best course of action.

Thank you,

~Joel
nana
Cadet 2nd Year
Cadet 2nd Year

Post by nana »

hello everyone! I know I haven't been here a long time and I'll probably disappear again :oops: but I heard about this new project and just wanted to stop by and say Bravo! to CaptainNet. Always nice to see someone with an idea and the will to make it happen.
I remember when nemitor first started talking about ST:Allegiance...alas we are still waiting for that game to make a public appearance :evil:

Oh yes, I also had a question. I saw that you intend to put in difficulty levels. How would this work exactly? Since it's a MM game one player playing on, say normal, and another on easy...don't think it could be balanced easily.
Tons more of other gameplay questions and suggestions but those will wait a bit :D

-nana out
CaptainNet
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Post by CaptainNet »

Hello,

Dificulty levels have an effect on you as a player.

Things like planet numbers (max pop) per system.......attack strength..... defense stregths...... moral etc.... would be what would change with each difficulty level.

So a player playing on an easier setting than yours would have a much easier time ridding the galaxy of your Mizarian Smuggness;)

Hope that answers the question.

The prototype site should be back up here within a few hours for most parts of the world.

I will have the screenshots back up as well very soon...... sorry about that all....

Call it holiday anxiety and depression, LOL

I will be working on the game all night tonight.....

:)

Thank you,

~Joel
beepo
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by beepo »

:D If there is anything that you need help with let us know. I have a home recording studio. So if you need voice overs or even music I might be able to help. I just can't wait to see it.
matress_of_evil
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Hi CaptainNet, i've got some more goodies for you. We've finally managed to get out Sharepoint site back up and running after several months without a fully-working (And backed-up) file depository. We've been busy reuploading files to the site ever since we got it back. As long as you credit the creators of the various files we have, they are free for you to also use.

We have all sorts of 2D artwork, sound effects, music, voice acting, ship models, game text, etc, so with any luck you'll find something that will be of use. :wink:

You might want to know that Nemitor_Atimen will also be free to use these files for his Allegiance project, so you might want to find alternatives to our files to maintain the differences between your own game and Allegiance, however. You can find our Sharepoint site Here.

CaptainNet
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Post by CaptainNet »

Hello,

Thank you all very much. I appreciate the help more than you know and I will be sure to give credit to all who make this possible or have contributed to making it a reality in anyway.

I am going through a bit of a redesign for the code which drives what I have created so far and of the database, but it is for optimiztion purposes.

With the exception of going out tomorrow to get some supplies, and then on the 25th CST USA going to my parent's house to spend the holidays with them....I should be able to devote myself full time to this.

I am going to put in season 1 of ST:TNG and not stop until I reach Season 7 with All good things;)

So my background "noise" is prepared for the much needed overhaul of the code.

I will post more news, as it develops

Thank you all very much, and may the season find you well...

~Joel
CaptainNet
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Post by CaptainNet »

Hello, ho ho ho

I bring you seasons greetings, along with being able to announce the small advancement of having the logins/logouts/registrations is now possible with the code.

You can find a copy of the code at http://www.shadowsofthefederation.com/s ... .3.tar.bz2

I will begin working on the version 1.0.4 which will include some rudimentary game play, and tweak the species selection a bit, just as soon as I can mix up some fresh tea to have this morning.

Thank you,

~Joel
CaptainNet
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Minor Note

Post by CaptainNet »

Hello all,

If you registered for the SOTF site, you may wish to clear out your cookies before visiting it again, and then reregister. Apparently some people had already registered by the time I had to add some indexes to tables, and this caused a major, well.... muck up.

I have the problem corrected, and am going to be working all night on the 1.0.4 release of the game.
matress_of_evil
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

So this means we can sign up? Excellent, i'll sign up now. 8)

*Edit - "This Website Is Coming Soon". :?

Guess i'll have to wait.

CaptainNet
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Post by CaptainNet »

Hello,

Sorry for taking so long to post back.

I have been a little bit busy as of late with the holidays and with creating a mock wiki for a mock project to practice my wikese and strategies for setting up a wiki.

I am now confident that I have the skills I need to proficiently produce the wiki needed for the massive overhaul of the SOTF application.

I will be working on the new wiki all night tonight and into tomorrow morning.

Currently the new version of the SOTF application (v 2009.0.0) is in the Planning stage of development.

I am alotting myself three days to have all of the planning done and to move on to the next stage of development.

Currently the new wiki (called the SOTF Genesis Lab Wiki) can be found at:

http://www.shadowsofthefederation.com/genesis

I will probably take a 15 minute break to gather my thoughts, but know that as 2009 approaches I will be working tirelessly on this project. I have lready devoted quite a bit of effort to it which may not be readily visible, but I assure you I have not been resting on my loafers.

The 2009.0.xx version of the SOTF application plans on being one HECK of a web-application. Just wait and see;)

Thank you,

~Joel

Return to “Other Projects”