Working on a Star Trek Webgame MMOG

Other Projects; support/discussion/questions

Moderator: thunderchero

CaptainNet
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

I have come to a conclusion

Post by CaptainNet »

For reasons I have deliberated upon all day today, I had decided to abandon this project. But it was only temporary. I am still on the job and will have something to show soon, I promise.

Thank you,

~Joel
Dr_Breen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Dr_Breen »

no problem...botf is allready 10 years old...a few months more or less don't matter.

if i could only help you a little bit with it ....arghhh
Public BotF / EF2 Teamspeak 3 Server: 83.169.13.55
CaptainNet
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Helping in all the ways you can.

Post by CaptainNet »

Hello,

It is a wonderful evening, and I just have to say that you Dr. Breen, and the others who have been paying attention and responding to this thread, are in fact helping me more than you know.

Why even today a minor little math problem which was in all actuality a complex one, was helped to be solved by a friend of mine in real life.

Indeed, I think many people would like to see this a reality, and I promise that I will have something to show here very soon.

LOL, not to put too fine a point on it, but I want to acutally play this game as soon as I can get it together with all of you.

I think many people will be interested in playing and I only hope that my host can keep up with the traffic! (don't worry, it should).

With that in mind, I will get back to redesigning the database to take into account the new math routines I have gotten some help with tonight!:)

I will keep you all posted as to progress.

Thank you,

~Joel
CaptainNet
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Busy Busy Busy

Post by CaptainNet »

Hello,

I just wanted to give you all a quick progress report as to what is being done with SOTF.

The basic registration and initial empire selection process has been scripted. The scripts generate complete systems for the player and store them in the database.

The script is being designed with many configuration options, including validation and easy to edit language files.

This takes a bit more time to code, but in the end will make for a much more satisfying game for any of you who want to implement your own site using the SOTF code.

It would be helpful if you are reading this thread to post your comments or questions about the game. I will try to be as helpful as possible, and will only feel even more motivated to continue coding this project.

On my agenda tonight is to start the processing scripts and system view scripts. Of course I will have to take little breaks to clean my home, as I have my worker coming over tomorrow and it is part of me being a good little person to have my apartment clean and not looking like a programmer's nest.;)

But I should have something more major to show on the site by Noon CST (6 PM UTC) tomorrow, which will be Wednesday the 17th.

Keep your phasers on stun,

~Joel
beepo
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by beepo »

:D Looking forward to seeing something. What will be the selections for empires? Can you be a minor race? I have more questions but can't think of all of them now. Keep up the good work. :)
CaptainNet
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Thank you!

Post by CaptainNet »

beepo wrote::D Looking forward to seeing something. What will be the selections for empires? Can you be a minor race? I have more questions but can't think of all of them now. Keep up the good work. :)
To answer your question, I hadn't really given it much thought. But now that I think about it more and more, there is really no reason why a person shouldn't be able to play a minor race.

I mean the story line is more or less that war had happened in the Alpha Quadrant, and those of the Alpha Quadrant went out to places unknown and unexplored in the galaxy to make a new home.

I really don't see why it wouldn't be fitting in with the spirit of the game to play a minor race. It'll make the tech-tree a bit more complicated, but hey I have the time. I'll get to work on it right away.

Thank you and keep the good ideas coming in! :)

~Joel
jaruler
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by jaruler »

ok i get dibs on the Q hehe
Dr_Breen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Dr_Breen »

Q would be cool....as a fatal random event: Q spotted in sector p 12, Q decieded to eliminate all Races near him as they do not deserve to exist
- The cardassians were eliminated
- The federation was eliminated
- The Kazon were eliminated
Public BotF / EF2 Teamspeak 3 Server: 83.169.13.55
CaptainNet
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Official Storyline

Post by CaptainNet »

Hello,

Here is the official storyline for the game:
In the late twenty-third century, the galaxy had seen many threats and had always stepped up to overcome the challenges they posed. From the Borg to the Xindi the galaxy had always been a dangerous place.

But the residents of the Alpha Quadrant were not prepared for what would come to eventually spell their demise and fall from grace.

The Qindu came like a swarm of locusts and descended upon the Alpha Quadrant. Their many ships and vastly superior technology made little work of harvesting the resources of the planets which made up the major empires.

All that was left when they were done, were shattered memories and a husk of a world that once was.

They did not relent, and the onslaught lasted well into the twenty-fourth century.

The people of the Alpha Quadrant realized the only way to escape the Qindu was to launch colony ships to carry their legacy into other parts of the galaxy.

The journey was long, and some did not make it.

But for those that did, they rebuild the societies the Qindu had destroyed in the life they had before in the Alpha Quadrant.

However, old ways die hard, and even now, the tensions of war are ever present between the many worlds of the galaxy.

The future, it would seem, belongs to the bold.
And as far as the Q goes, well I bet you are the type of player that uses -Mudd :D

Just kidding.

The Q would make for an interesting series of random events both positive and negative. Always with the looming threat of being wiped from existence!

Good going it has made me think about some interesting random events.

I am on the long and labor intensive task of updating the z tables (game data tables) for the game. Right now I am working on the species. It seemed only fitting as no registration would be possible without having this info in the database.

I would ask that if ANYONE would like to have a playable species included in the game (With the exception of the omnipotent Q) that they reply to this thread and include a 140 pixel wide pic of the species, name of the species, and an official description of the species (this is like the minor descriptions in BOTF).

All of the vanilla BOTF species will be included, I am working on that now.

Well I will get back to work.

Keep up the good work of helping me, by replying to this thread with your thoughts. It encourages me more than you know. Makes me feel a part of the world.

Thank you,

~Joel
stardust
Rear-Admiral
Rear-Admiral

Post by stardust »

Dr_Breen wrote:Q would be cool....as a fatal random event: Q spotted in sector p 12, Q decieded to eliminate all Races near him as they do not deserve to exist
- The cardassians were eliminated
- The federation was eliminated
- The Kazon were eliminated
:lol: brilliant idea..

Hirogen hunting vessels, they'd make for a good random event, given they're nomadic and seem to pop up at random on Voyager's journey at any rate. Rather than them wombling arund and poping up in systems at random like the BOTF randoms it'd be cool to see them actually lock onto a particular ship(s) and hunt them down across the map so you'd be forced to confront them, rahter than think 'ah well they'll wander around aimlessly and probably run into an outpost and get destoyed' like in BOTF

things are looking good so far :)
Computers! [Expletive deleted]

My 4shared folder
count23
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Post by count23 »

I toyed with the idea of making a BOTF like webgame, it would have run vaguely similar to Astrowars and Ambar and those kind of MMO strategy games, the universe would have started off being scripted by linked tables and as the more players joined the table would expand.

Since i was a rookie programmer then I really didn't code an end point so theoretically the universe could have expanded forever. Pity i didnt do any of hte really important things like code combat or the like.. o well.

Good luck I say, if you pull it off, it could be a quite successful game.
Flocke
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Re: Official Storyline

Post by Flocke »

CaptainNet wrote:I would ask that if ANYONE would like to have a playable species included in the game (With the exception of the omnipotent Q) that they reply to this thread and include a 140 pixel wide pic of the species, name of the species, and an official description of the species (this is like the minor descriptions in BOTF).
For minor races you may have a look at http://www.botf2.com/bote/Wiki/Minor%20 ... sh%5D.aspx
or even more at http://www.trekmania.net/temp_files/botf2_home.htm which is including descriptions and pictures.

If using it you should consult the responsible people on http://botf2.star-trek-games.com/ and include them in the credits... I doubt that they'll have something against ;)
jaruler
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by jaruler »

thats spieces 89145 or something now there hard core!!
CaptainNet
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Post by CaptainNet »

jaruler wrote:thats spieces 89145 or something now there hard core!!
Err... ahhh..... I think it might be Species 84172.

But with that in mind, it all is good and work on the site is progressing well. I had to do some minor tweaking of the domain setup on the server, so it might take time to proliferate all of the net. But other than that I changed the background for the site (thanks to nasa) and am currently still in the process of adding minor species to the database.

I have to apologize for not having more done, but we had a pretty bad winter storm where I live, and it has taken me a while to get all my running around done (slick roads).

But I am back on the job, I have plenty of cola, and a fresh pot of coffee is brewed. ...What more could I ask for?

~Joel
CaptainNet
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Screenshot

Post by CaptainNet »

The following is a screenshot of the work in progress, this is by NO means the final result which will ultimately be the game.

This is the Story Setting page:

Enjoy;)

~Joel

Return to “Other Projects”