It takes a Village [SOTF MMOG]

Other Projects; support/discussion/questions

Moderator: thunderchero

CaptainNet
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

It takes a Village [SOTF MMOG]

Post by CaptainNet »

Hello all, I am in the process of resetting up the hosting and making some massive changes to the Shadows of the Federation MMOG project.

I felt it only appropriate to start a new thread, because people have a tendency to get lost if a thread gets too large.

My agenda for the morning is to set up a wiki for the project where every aspect of the game will be discussed from development, to-do lists, and actual game play.

The spirit of the enthusiasm of the people who have offered to help on this project has inspired me to do nothing short of my very best. But I will not be able to get there alone.

Once the wiki is set up, I encourage ANYONE who wishes to help with the project in any way, to register for the wiki, use the talk pages, or even edit the wiki.

Everthing from game mechanics to source code will be able to be found on the wiki. So don't think if you spot an error in the code or can improve upon the game, that you cannot help out! By all means do;)

I am launching the version 2009.0.0 of the game and will begin filling the wiki with all the information about the vastly improved game that I can.

There will be many improvements and I think that you all will be amazed at what WE can accomplish if we just come together as a community.

Languages which will be used for the project will be: PHP, HTML, CSS, and Javascript. This is being done in order to fully make it cross platform compatible with just about anyone's system.

If you know any of these languages please don't hesitate to register for the wiki and join in on the fun!

In addition the game will require that we find people who can translate from english to other languages the various text of the game. This will be very important to have an international reach. This will be facilitated by, you guessed it, the wiki.

If you just have comments or questions about the game feel free to register for the wiki and use the talk pages to discuss the content of ANY given page on the wiki.

All input will be appreciated.

I will post the link to the wiki in my next reply to this, just as soon as I can get it set up.

I am going where no-one has gone before on this project, I just hope I am not going there alone:)

Thank you,

~Joel
CaptainNet
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Post by CaptainNet »

Hello,

I have the wiki up and am beginning the process of adding pages to it. As I stated you are encouraged to register for the wiki and help contribute ideas or work to it. Even just discussing game ideas on the wiki's discussion pages for each page will be helping immensely.

The url is: http://www.shadowsofthefederation.com/wiki

Help me out here :)

Thank you,

~Joel
CaptainNet
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Post by CaptainNet »

Hello,

I may be late by about 6 to 8 hours on the Game Overview completion time deadline as stated in the wiki. This is due to the fact I had to sleep for about 3 hours; I had been up for 22 hours straight.

I will be working now that I am rested on getting the Game Overview, a roadmap of the project, done by within 6 to 8 hours of the 9 AM UTC December 26th deadline.

Thank you

~Joel
CaptainNet
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Post by CaptainNet »

After careful diliberation I have decided that the wiki is a bad idea.

I have taken it down for security reasons.

It is a miserable cold icy day here in Iowa, so I will be pretty much shut inside all day long.

I will begin working on the improved 2009.0.0 version of the code today and stop making excuses of why I am not getting it done;)

Thank you,

~Joel
Dr_Breen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Dr_Breen »

the wiki might be a good idea, once the project is a little bit further. and of course it is quite hard to code a game and administrate tat wiki at the same time, so it might be set up once the game works more or less.
Public BotF / EF2 Teamspeak 3 Server: 83.169.13.55
matress_of_evil
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander
Location: South Wales - Not The Australian One, The Other One!

Post by matress_of_evil »

Wikis are definitely a useful thing to have, but they're also hard to maintain. We've got wiki's for all our BOTF2 projects, but most of them are incomplete or simply blank pages. :oops:

One idea may be to get someone to help you. If you could appoint someone that you trust to sort out the wiki's for you, then they would be able to write and update them in their own time. That would leave you free to concentrate on the programming itself then.
Check out the latest news for Star Trek: Supremacy, Birth of the Empires and more at Star-Trek-Games.com!

"Anyone without a sense of humour is truly at the mercy of the rest of us."

Return to “Other Projects”