Good News

Other Projects; support/discussion/questions

Moderator: thunderchero

JeanNYGUARD
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Good News

Post by JeanNYGUARD »

Okay... before people all smile and cheer and throw a parade lol. We have alot of work to do.

I was able to get in contact with a BOTF developer... Bill Chinn... The Lead Enginner behind BOTF.

:)

* Let the firworks begin lol

He's willing to help out in editing BOTF (Larger Galaxies, more minor races, more playable races) if ... Hasbro declares Birth of The Federation... Abandonware.

I will contact Hasbro tommorow and see if I can get a official statement stating BOTF as Abandonware.

From what I hear we can edit BOTF without getting the source code. Their are tips and techniques Bill can teach us.

Anyways... will keep you all updated.
thunderchero
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Location: On a three month training mission, in command of the USS Valiant.

Post by thunderchero »

That is great news :wink:

I hope all goes well when he contacts Hasbro. or would that be Atari he would contact? I thought they own right to Birth of the federation now?

thunderchero
DCER
Code Master
Code Master

Post by DCER »

I'd be happy if we could just fix the remaining bugs. Like the bug where you can't contact a minor if it was/is part of another empire you had friendship or better with.

Anyway, good luck. I'll cross my fingers for you :)
stardust
Rear-Admiral
Rear-Admiral

Post by stardust »

Truly a deed worthy of song if that pans out well :)
Good luck \m/
Computers! [Expletive deleted]

My 4shared folder
Damar_72
Cadet 2nd Year
Cadet 2nd Year

Post by Damar_72 »

Great news...!
With his help and the dedicated modders of the comunity I hope soon we'll have great improvements to the game.
:D
Weirdness
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Post by Weirdness »

heh I can picture that...

Meeting the Feds at around turn 300 with them in control of 1/3 -1/2 the map and you get like 7 - 8 "contact has been made with 'whomever'" messages at turn start. 8O
Martok
Rear-Admiral
Rear-Admiral

Post by Martok »

Wow, JeanNYGUARD. Color me impressed. :D

Here's hoping for better things for BOTF....
"Evil is easy, and has infinite forms." -- Pascal
Malvoisin
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by Malvoisin »

this would be cool. If they call it Abandonware or more exactly public domain (Abandonware is no legal term hence don't count) and hand that out in written form, botf could potentially become quite a source for all kinds of artwork and sounds for the botf2 project. Of course I would still ask the respective artists like Sebastian G. Hyde for example if BotE could use his Klingon UI graphics for its own skins.

Btw. Bill might not know but Hasbro ain't the copyright holder now, it's Atari. They had a joint venture with Hasbro called Hasbro/Atari Interactive back then when BotF was made but they separated. I believe Atari would be the real source to ask for. Atari also has the official botf support page hosted on its domain: http://www.atari.com/us/support/faq/botf_pc.asp . There could be a problem with the underlying Star Trek intellectual property but since Atari is back into trek business, that should ease the thing if they want to go through that.
Darth_Windu
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by Darth_Windu »

You might also want to check with Paramount, since they are the owners of every ST-related.

GREAT work though, I salute you good sir. :)
KrazeeXXL
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by KrazeeXXL »

coool!
help from the lead programmer, I think no better thing could happen! lets hope that they, atari whoever owns it now, declare BotF to abandonware.
After a decade, they should do so.

I'd have to think about it, too, if they won't do this. in this case they've got maybe further plans to the game or at least they want to use some subroutines of it for other projects.

either way, what will happen. I allready opend a barrel of bloodwine for you and the whole community ;-)

QAPLA'
forensicman101
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Post by forensicman101 »

Great news. Buy him a virtual pint. Maybe he can help with solving the "game slowly grinds to a halt" bug.
daniel
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Post by daniel »

I think we should compile a list of bugs for the original CD to start. and then reserve him a place on the forum, right?

Return to “Other Projects”