Ultimate Mod 5 v2.5 1024 (Updated 15/2/16)

Ultimate Mod; showcase and support/discussion/questions/suggestions/reviews

Moderator: thunderchero

socke08
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Re: Ultimate Mod 5 v1, coming soon!

Post by socke08 »

Thank you so much for all your hard work! I recently dug up botf which i enjoyed for years and then came across this board when i was looking to spice things up from the vanilla version of the game.

i have never played/installed a mod so am rather new to all this but very exited and particularly thrilled to see that this game has such a strong community after such a long time.

hope to get back to you with some feedback after playing and thanks again to you and everybody behind the effort for this mod!
SeaBee-T
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Post by SeaBee-T »

Dang I should have this topic bookmarked. It's fixed now. :)

Found a few items so far:
1) Turn time processing is a little slow even though I'm 20 turns into the game but it's bearable. I just hope it does not bog the system down at later games
2) Planet Earth gives a 120% bonus for food. Is this supposed to be the case?
3) In my current game, it seems like the planet generation code is skewed towards generating lots of planets. So far I have seen about 60% of explored systems having 9 planets...which is driving me crazy cause I look at them all as MUST COLONIZE. :mrgreen:
leidius
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Post by leidius »

Looks like the mod definitely adds a lot of planets per system. If you notice though, most planets dont give very much in terms of pop. The notes say that class M planets (which start colonizable) have drastically been bumped in pop value.
SeaBee-T
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Post by SeaBee-T »

leidius wrote:Looks like the mod definitely adds a lot of planets per system. If you notice though, most planets dont give very much in terms of pop. The notes say that class M planets (which start colonizable) have drastically been bumped in pop value.
They do, but most of these 9 planet systems are giving consistent 300+ pop total. So far I've only seen one 3 planet system so I'm thinking that the planets are skewed more towards having more planets.

On a separate note, I love what was done for The Dominion. Wonderful job!
However, would it be possible to change the background picture in the main screen for them as there's this nebula at the bottom left corner interfering with the population number which makes it a little hard for me to see (maybe it's just me). I'm not sure if anyone else are having the same issues?
Also, the population bar at the bottom of the System Production screen seems to like to bug out and show maximum idle populations when I've already assigned them to all my production. I do not remember if this issue's been fixed though.
Another minor gripe: Battleship IV for The Dominion is listed first instead of Battleship I, II, III, etc. :mrgreen:
Dafedz
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by Dafedz »

SeaBee-T wrote:Dang I should have this topic bookmarked. It's fixed now. :)

Found a few items so far:
1) Turn time processing is a little slow even though I'm 20 turns into the game but it's bearable. I just hope it does not bog the system down at later games
2) Planet Earth gives a 120% bonus for food. Is this supposed to be the case?
3) In my current game, it seems like the planet generation code is skewed towards generating lots of planets. So far I have seen about 60% of explored systems having 9 planets...which is driving me crazy cause I look at them all as MUST COLONIZE. :mrgreen:
1) Most mods these days incorporate large galaxies - in some cases much larger. Unfortunately the price of this is generally increased Turn times.
2) This is normal, and in line with vanilla I believe.
3) Gas giants were removed to allow up to 9 planets per system. Yeh, sometimes a system doesn't get an M-class (and on rare occasions even when it does, resulting in very large systems) more planets will be added to compensate for the lack of potential population.
SeaBee-T wrote: On a separate note, I love what was done for The Dominion. Wonderful job!
However, would it be possible to change the background picture in the main screen for them as there's this nebula at the bottom left corner interfering with the population number which makes it a little hard for me to see (maybe it's just me). I'm not sure if anyone else are having the same issues?
No problem, I will look into this and make a correction.
SeaBee-T wrote: Also, the population bar at the bottom of the System Production screen seems to like to bug out and show maximum idle populations when I've already assigned them to all my production. I do not remember if this issue's been fixed though.
Another minor gripe: Battleship IV for The Dominion is listed first instead of Battleship I, II, III, etc. :mrgreen:
I think that's a vanilla issue, so there's not much I can do about it.
Sweethawk wrote:Great job guys! I'm looking forward to testing it :) . gamble gambling....
Savagee wrote:Can't wait for you guys to...[....] keep up the good work sirs.
I certainly owe much to Thunder and others who have assisted with the technical side of supporting this mod, with error correcting and creating the installer, but the mod creation and all game data is mine, Dafedz is singular, ie: Just me :)
Dafedz
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by Dafedz »

SeaBee-T wrote: Another minor gripe: Battleship IV for The Dominion is listed first instead of Battleship I, II, III, etc. :mrgreen:
The Battleship IV is a separate ship, which does not upgrade from Battleship III. Therefore it has to be listed this way, above the other 3 Battleship types, otherwise the AI will not build it
SeaBee-T
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Post by SeaBee-T »

Thank you for the quick responses dafedz. Good note on Battleship IV.

It's a wonderful mod, other than the issues already listed in this thread I think it is good to go! :)
Dafedz
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by Dafedz »

Here's an update, and a new install with various bug corrections so far:

"ULTIMATE_MOD_5_Beta2.exe"

Please uninstall the current version of UM5 using the uninstaller that comes with it. Backup any files you wish to save which are in the um5 folder - notably any .Sav files of games currently under progress. Reinstall the game with the new installer (above).

Issues fixed:
- Scanner 3 (Isolinear scanner) now upgrades Listening Post as intended.
- Some basic resource structures were not functioning correctly, due to their having the wrong building indices/slots. This has been fixed.
- Addressed a problem with the main galactic screen background for the Dominion, whereby a particularly bright starfield/nebula was causing a display issue.
- Romulan Reman Mine structure could be built multiple times due to an incorrect build limitation. This has been fixed.
- And.. after careful consideration it was decided to give the Romulans some dilithium. Now they can build ships!
Martok
Rear-Admiral
Rear-Admiral

Post by Martok »

Sweet! Downloading now.

Dafedz wrote: - And.. after careful consideration it was decided to give the Romulans some dilithium. Now they can build ships!

As a fan of the Romulans in this game, I appreciate it. :wink:
"Evil is easy, and has infinite forms." -- Pascal
rynebrandon
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Post by rynebrandon »

Hey dafedz,

I'm absolutely loving the mod overall. I haven't downloaded v2 yet but I have played 2 full games on the original version and the biggest problem I've seen is with regards to how the empires choose to defend themselves. Playing Feds to turn 350 and Roms to turn 200, the other empires, irrespective of who they are don't ever seem to build more than about 10 ships and if you battle and destroy them, they just seem to pack it in and call it a day. Also, once you get up to the really high turn counts its not uncommon to see planets within an empire having 200, 300, 400 orbital batteries. Something about the tweaks to the AI have made them very internally oriented on their defenses.
Miscent
Cadet 2nd Year
Cadet 2nd Year

Post by Miscent »

Looks like a nice mod is being made here.
I don't have time to try it, but I look forward dusting of BOTF for this mod.
Good job and keep it up! :up:
Paranoia
Ensign
Ensign

UM5 problem

Post by Paranoia »

Hey guys, long time lurker and admirer of the forum. Just got a little issue to bring up. Sorry if its in the wrong place.

Ive been playing the Ultimate Mod 5 for a few days now, It is really good, probably the best one yet. The problem im having is that about 9/10 games the AI doesnt play. It just sits and builds orbital batteries every turn and doesnt build and fleet or colonise planets. This is great for the memory leak but not so good for gameplay!

Has anyone else encountered this issue? Thanks
Flocke
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Re: UM5 problem

Post by Flocke »

welcome back!
this issue is already known and will be worked on to resolve ;)
Paranoia
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Paranoia »

Flocke wrote:welcome back!
this issue is already known and will be worked on to resolve ;)
Paranoia
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Paranoia »

Is there a certain game setup which makes the AI work that any one knows of? Ive had two games out of like 20 where it worked. I was wondering if maybe the game setyup had something to do with it because i do a different setup each time.

Return to “Ultimate Mod”