Ultimate Mod 5 v2.5 1024 (Updated 15/2/16)

Ultimate Mod; showcase and support/discussion/questions/suggestions/reviews

Moderator: thunderchero

thunderchero
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Location: On a three month training mission, in command of the USS Valiant.

Re: Ultimate Mod 5 v2.4 (Updated 23/5/15)

Post by thunderchero »

925... :shock: :shock: :shock:

on 2 M class, he must have raised pop on M class way up.

thunderchero
Martok
Rear-Admiral
Rear-Admiral

Post by Martok »

adi wrote:system generation keeps adding planets to get population above 250 and stops completely above 400; but major home systems and minors don't abide by this rule; so if planets population has been raised you may get some huge minor systems.

Yeah, I kinda remember Dafedz mentioning something like that a while back, but it's still mind-blowing!

thunderchero wrote:925... :shock: :shock: :shock:

on 2 M class, he must have raised pop on M class way up.

thunderchero

Well it's *three* M-class planets, actually (which in and of itself is also insane). :eek:

But yeah, Dafedz did significantly increase the population caps for Earth-like worlds, while decreasing (in most cases drastically) the pop limits on the other planet types. (In UM5, large M-class planets can have populations of 300-330, and even the smallest ones still have a pop at/near 100.) It's all in furtherance of his aim to increase/bring back the importance of M-class planets, and thus make them more worth fighting for.
"Evil is easy, and has infinite forms." -- Pascal
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

adi wrote:system generation keeps adding planets to get population above 250 and stops completely above 400; but major home systems and minors don't abide by this rule; so if planets population has been raised you may get some huge minor systems.
not really, each type has it own lower and upper limits for free/empty systems, minor race systems and Additional Major Empire Starting Systems.
but if system limit is 450 and while adding systems it is at 440 and adds a class m with 350 voila 780 system. so the upper limit is when game stop adding systems not the true "upper limit".

IIRC Gowron in BOP limited 1 class M per system to prevent this from happening so often

thunderchero
Dafedz
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by Dafedz »

925 is pretty mental. That's the biggest I've ever seen to be honest. It really is just pure luck for that system to have three Large M-class planets like that - you might play a hundred games and not see it again. Although I have seen a good number of Minor race worlds ~700, and a handful of 800s. But 900+ is unprecedented. Truly awesome tbh that its the Tellarites as well. Pretty much my favourite race due to their shipyards. You'll be pumping out a cruiser every turn there soon!
Martok wrote:But yeah, Dafedz did significantly increase the population caps for Earth-like worlds, while decreasing (in most cases drastically) the pop limits on the other planet types. (In UM5, large M-class planets can have populations of 300-330, and even the smallest ones still have a pop at/near 100.) It's all in furtherance of his aim to increase/bring back the importance of M-class planets, and thus make them more worth fighting for.
That's exactly right. I wanted M-class planets to be important - perhaps the most important aspect in expansion. Earth-like worlds (for all the races) is the most precious resource of all. They're going to support big populations, obviously, waaaay more than a volcanic or arctic for example. So it made sense to me. Of course, finding multiple M-class planets in one system is a true jackpot moment. (Limiting systems to one M-class only would be boring in my opinion.)

PS. lol at the Tellerite growth rate. That's also there by design. By all accounts their homeworld is extremely crowded.
Martok
Rear-Admiral
Rear-Admiral

Post by Martok »

Tangentially-related: Why is it that some large M-class planets have such oddly low growth rates? I've seen a few Earth-like worlds with population caps of 300-330, but with growth rates of only 0.4-0.5 percent. :?: (Not that I'm complaining, I'm just honestly curious as to the reason for it.)

Dafedz wrote:925 is pretty mental. That's the biggest I've ever seen to be honest. It really is just pure luck for that system to have three Large M-class planets like that -

I figured as much. I took the screenshot of the Tellar system as much for posterity's sake as anything else (and, to prove I really did find a system that size, of course). :)

Dafedz wrote:you might play a hundred games and not see it again.

And I expect that I will, in fact, have to play at least a hundred more before I see another like it. ;)

Dafedz wrote:Although I have seen a good number of Minor race worlds ~700, and a handful of 800s. But 900+ is unprecedented. Truly awesome tbh that its the Tellarites as well. Pretty much my favourite race due to their shipyards. You'll be pumping out a cruiser every turn there soon!

Yeah, for it to be the Tellarites with such an enormous system is pure serendipity as far as I'm concerned. Can't wait til I get them into my empire and their infrastructure cranked up! :grin:

Dafedz wrote:I wanted M-class planets to be important - perhaps the most important aspect in expansion. Earth-like worlds (for all the races) is the most precious resource of all. They're going to support big populations, obviously, waaaay more than a volcanic or arctic for example. So it made sense to me. Of course, finding multiple M-class planets in one system is a true jackpot moment. (Limiting systems to one M-class only would be boring in my opinion.)

Agreed. I'm finding that I'm really liking the increased significance of M-class planets. In my experience so far, it makes the game much more interesting. :up:

Dafedz wrote:PS. lol at the Tellerite growth rate. That's also there by design. By all accounts their homeworld is extremely crowded.

Yeah, I had a good chuckle at that as well -- at least once my eyes stopped popping out of my head! :P
Dafedz
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by Dafedz »

Martok wrote:Tangentially-related: Why is it that some large M-class planets have such oddly low growth rates? I've seen a few Earth-like worlds with population caps of 300-330, but with growth rates of only 0.4-0.5 percent. :?: (Not that I'm complaining, I'm just honestly curious as to the reason for it.)
Unfortunately there is an unavoidable issue of minor race worlds being re-used. The problem is listed in the known issues section in the first post, and as yet has no work around.
Some of the random planet animations are 'borrowing' custom minor race planet
animations, and it is an issue that has no solution at present...
If i recall correctly, there are a number of minor race worlds with deliberately low growth rates, such as the Halkans, and the Benzites. It would seem that when the game generates uninhabited M-class worlds, it 'borrows' these minor race planets - and not just the animations, their growth rates too apparently. If think this is the cause.
Martok
Rear-Admiral
Rear-Admiral

Post by Martok »

Ah, gotcha. I did go over the Known Issues section back when I first downloaded/installed UM5, but it's been so long that I've admittedly forgotten most of what it said. :oops:

In any case, no biggie. As I said, I really was just curious. :)
adi
Commander
Commander

Post by adi »

The only issue with large population is that you can't have more than 60 industries in a system; but you can always spread it to research or intel; believe me i tried larger populations :D)
And that if you don't get a lot of structures at colonizing it takes a while before you build all those main buildings.
But it's all tied with the research growth; if research is slow enough you have enough turns to build main buildings.
darken26
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Post by darken26 »

I installed this mod and when I attempt to run the program it crashes does anyone hae any suggestions to make it work?

thanks
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

darken26 wrote:I installed this mod and when I attempt to run the program it crashes does anyone hae any suggestions to make it work?
did you install multi installer first?

thunderchero
darken26
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Post by darken26 »

no this is the first time ive tried to change the original game. happen to have a link ?

Thanks,

I look forward to trying something new
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

look at my signature below
↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓
xDx
Commander
Commander

Post by xDx »

gonna give this one a go tonight and TCs newest incarnation of UDM3 tomorrow :D
"The only thing we have to fear is fear itself." -- FDR
suizidi31
Cadet 3rd Year
Cadet 3rd Year

Post by suizidi31 »

hello,

i have some problems whit this mod. i think is the resolution that dont work whit my PC . games crash after 5 min.
Attachments
um5_2.4.jpg
um5_2.4.jpg (144.76 KiB) Viewed 7016 times
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

I am guessing that is how it displays on your screen?

that is a strange problem does vanilla display same or is this only UM5?

I have a few questions
1. OS; xp, 7, 8, 8.1
2. system type; desktop, laptop ect
3. video info; brand, type ect

thunderchero

Return to “Ultimate Mod”