Ultimate Mod 5 v2.5 1024 (Updated 15/2/16)

Ultimate Mod; showcase and support/discussion/questions/suggestions/reviews

Moderator: thunderchero

thunderchero
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Location: On a three month training mission, in command of the USS Valiant.

Re: Ultimate Mod 5 v2.4 (Updated 23/5/15)

Post by thunderchero »

Hi everyone,

Dafedz has been busy with other projects.

But, I talked to Dafedz via e-mail the other day, and he asked me to upload the latest verson. v2.5 1024

v2.5 1024

I am not sure of all the changes other than 1024 added.
SeaBee-T
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Re: Ultimate Mod 5 v2.5 1024 (Updated 15/2/16)

Post by SeaBee-T »

Sweet! Thank you Thunderchero! Will give it a whirl. :D
missieyohko
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Post by missieyohko »

Hey everybody, me and my friend were playing this at Dreamhack Austin and it crashed after every combat encounter. We ended up having to "auto" every encounter just to keep playing. Has anyone had this issue or know how to fix it?
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

this is a long shot, but if you can remember if most of the combat crashes involved ships moving quickly or retreating when it crashed?
mburrell1979
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Post by mburrell1979 »

Ok, I love birth of the federation, and didnt even know there was a modding community for it. So awesome!

UM5 is crashing on load for me. And I get no error message, so I must have missed something. all errors in the crash log are the same and as follows:

ST:BOF Wed Jul 6 20:52:55 2016

Version Under Test: 72
File: dounzip.c, Line: 421, \STBOF.RES
Initialize State: 0
Player Empire: 1 Starting Seed: 0
Galaxy shape: 0 Galaxy Size: 0

So i think something is wrong with the install...I just dont know what. any help would be appreciated
mburrell1979
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Post by mburrell1979 »

so i uninstalled botf, deleted all files, now i reinstalled with multi mod. ok, standard botf is now working, but the ultimate mode just errors out immediately. nothing in the crash log, so something must have gotten fubared with my install. here is the event log for the crash. i know microsoft event logs sometimes dont help much, but hey, you never know....

Faulting application name: trek.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x37965563
Faulting module name: trek.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x37965563
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x0011371c
Faulting process id: 0xe10
Faulting application start time: 0x01d1d7ed8cc7e3dd
Faulting application path: C:\botf\UM5\trek.exe
Faulting module path: C:\botf\UM5\trek.exe
Report Id: 992b3f7c-a8e2-4ac5-b5f0-2840c5d08baa
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

mburrell1979 wrote:so i uninstalled botf, deleted all files, now i reinstalled with multi mod. ok, standard botf is now working, but the ultimate mode just errors out immediately.
did you uninstall um5 and re-install it after installing main multi installer?
Martok_Jr.
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Post by Martok_Jr. »

Hi there,

after playing very satisfyingly with version 2.4 I installed 2.5 these days. After initial crash problems I was quite happy of its stability until I met my first enemy fleet consisting of more than one ship. Irritatingly how ever many enemy ships actually move into the sector, my fleet alwasys just battles one ship, just to fight another one in the next round until the enemy withdraws or my fleet wiped him out. Until now I only met minors, so I can't say if the same happens if a major power fleet is engaged.

Win 7 64 bit home premium with SP1 and any relevant update. Geforce 7300 GT with most up to date drivers and celeron duo at 2500mhz if that may be any help.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

Martok_Jr. wrote:I was quite happy of its stability until I met my first enemy fleet consisting of more than one ship. Irritatingly how ever many enemy ships actually move into the sector, my fleet alwasys just battles one ship, just to fight another one in the next round until the enemy withdraws or my fleet wiped him out. Until now I only met minors, so I can't say if the same happens if a major power fleet is engaged.
this behavior is limited to minors. This was done to allow use of the 18 fleet task force patch. limiting minors to 1 ship for minors was only way to get the patch to work. and don't worry sooner or later those major races will hit you hard. :wink:
Martok_Jr.
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Post by Martok_Jr. »

thunderchero wrote:
Martok_Jr. wrote:I was quite happy of its stability until I met my first enemy fleet consisting of more than one ship. Irritatingly how ever many enemy ships actually move into the sector, my fleet alwasys just battles one ship, just to fight another one in the next round until the enemy withdraws or my fleet wiped him out. Until now I only met minors, so I can't say if the same happens if a major power fleet is engaged.
this behavior is limited to minors. This was done to allow use of the 18 fleet task force patch. limiting minors to 1 ship for minors was only way to get the patch to work. and don't worry sooner or later those major races will hit you hard. :wink:
Ok, I see. Thanks for the info, than I will happily lead my Klingons to glory and then see if I try the Romulans for the first time in a mod. However, I think in 2.4 there were also 18 ship taskforces, but I do not remember having this issue. Maybe I forgot, admittedly it's been a while.

Cheers
lawstdragon
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Post by lawstdragon »

Greetings-

I have recently come to know the modifications from this community, and wish to say thank you for providing continued support to an old favorite game.

I have ran into an issue, however, as the first engagement of the Ultimate Mod 5 game is resulting in a crash after the first or second round. Klingon vs Cardassian. Klingon Force: 8 Fast Attack, 1 Starbase
Cardassian Force: 10 Command, 18 Fast Attack.

Computer Specifications:
Windows 7 Professional SP1 64-bit
i5-3320M CPU @ 2.60GHz
8.00 GB Ram
On-board Intel HD Graphics 4000 utilizing Driver 8.15.10.2696

I have attempted this battle multiple times, all with the same result. There is no data within the Crash log under C:\botf\UM5\Crash.txt. Also, I have not noticed any attempts of Evade or Retreat before the crash, as I see here in the forum that this could have been a factor.
Troubleshooting steps I have taken (in order):
- Uninstall/Reinstalled UM5
- Uninstall/Reinstalled BotF / UM5
- Utilized the UE program found in the downloads to shift the Starbase Model to the Unused KO outpost model (noticed a rather large distance issue with the Klingon Starbase, however this did not resolve the crash issue. Note: No other changes were made utilizing the UE software.

I have uploaded the save file with this post, as I have noticed it has been requested from previous issues.
game0.sav
(208.02 KiB) Downloaded 141 times
Any assistance that can provided would be greatly appreciated.
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

lawstdragon wrote:Any assistance that can provided would be greatly appreciated.
I tested your combat without any crash. when in combat I only clicked turn and no combat orders were given.

but I suggest;
1. turn off timers. they have been known to cause ctd
2. use DxWnd this will simulate the Directx 9 environment.
lawstdragon
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Post by lawstdragon »

thunderchero wrote: but I suggest;
1. turn off timers. they have been known to cause ctd
2. use DxWnd this will simulate the Directx 9 environment.
The DxWnd Environment resolved the problem I was having. Appreciate the assist. It's quite amazing what all of you have done to this relic of a game.
Ovarwa
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Post by Ovarwa »

FWIW,

Benzites with 1055 population. 2M and 1M+ and some other planets.

I just noticed that this was updated in 2016. On my first game. It plays very differently from BOP (let alone vanilla, which I have not touched in at least a decade.)

Thoughts so far:

* Minor races are even more awesome to acquire than ever because their systems can be huge and they grow fast. I suspect I will turn off minors (which is what I usually do in BoP.) I like meeting them, but they make life too easy. I do also like the multiple special buildings that minors now have.

* Morale is much less important than usual because it is dwarfed by tech bonuses.

* Weird that the Dominion's basic structures are the worst. The only faction with Industry 7! Bad science, bad intel. Their ships are expensive too. I haven't tried them yet, so I'm probably missing something.

* The ship balance is interesting. Everyone gets the exact same ship types, with a faction profile applied, but then there seem to be a few tweaks, even excluding the obvious Fed exceptions. I suppose the tweaks are the result of playtesting, as mentioned previously in this thread. The result is that usually everyone wants to build the same ships... but not always. For example, the Romulan emphasis on torpedoes makes their Strike Cruiser especially effective. But ships with Short/1 remain pretty useless. And of course, the AI will always do basically the same thing.

* Subatomic Simulators provide a slight incentive to have specialized science worlds, since a world without science doesn't need one of these.

* Because basic structures don't upgrade, most worlds don't need more than 3 Industry.

* The slight variations of buildings do color factions, and their value depends on when the game starts. So the Klingon Targ Hunt (30 food, 1 morale, Bio2, cheap, slight energy cost) is absolutely stunningly fantastic starting at Tech 1 or 2, but not as special starting at 4 or 5. Meanwhile, State Rations provides no morale, but is useful for starting colonies quickly. Weird seeing Klingons as the high morale faction. :)

* The point gap between eras 1 and 2 does exist, but is easily overcome on a large map. It seems more that there are 2 eras than 3, unless you're a Klingon for whom things change when their ships start to cloak.

* M and M+ planets are extremely common. This makes them essential but not special. Nothing wrong with that, but the designer wanted them to be special to the point of worth going to war over.

* I like the choice not to clutter advanced tech levels with lots of planets and ships and fiddly bits.

* Windows 7, no crashes at all (with movies disabled). Just installed and ran with it.

Anyway,

Ken
Ovarwa
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Post by Ovarwa »

Hmm,

Spoken too soon.

Combat with enough ships crashes.

Windows 7
Run as admin
Tried various compatibility modes
Full screen

:/

Anyway,

Ken

Return to “Ultimate Mod”