Ultimate Mod 5 v2.5 1024 (Updated 15/2/16)

Ultimate Mod; showcase and support/discussion/questions/suggestions/reviews

Moderator: thunderchero

Marowi
Cadet 4th Year
Cadet 4th Year

Re: Ultimate Mod 5 v1, coming soon!

Post by Marowi »

Thanks for the speedy reply, thunderchero. I just want to make sure I understand, the no-upgrades mod is the product of both a ton of changes in UE (which I have no problem with, I probably spend more time in UE than I do in the actual game), but also coding changes for the tech level bonus factors? Or is the latter just superfluous?
thunderchero
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Location: On a three month training mission, in command of the USS Valiant.

Post by thunderchero »

UE changes,
there is 230 main buildings in vanilla (5 types 9 of each 1 primitive farm x 5 races) with this change you will only use 30 main buildings (5 types 1 of each 1 primitive farm x 5 races) each type 1 building + primitive farm.

so 200 main buildings you need to edit so it is no longer part of the main building "group" set to "other". (Main industry, Main food ect) and "pop maintenance" set to "0"
Also on every one of those buildings you need to change it so no race is selected in "can be built by" and "needed race on system"

The 30 buildings you will still be using change the name of the building to remove (type 1, class 1 ect)

after all those changes save and allow UE to edit the trek.exe.

The trek.exe changes (different from what changes UE made)
viewtopic.php?f=181&t=238

These changes allow you to adjust how much increase per tech level is given. iirc No Building Upgrades Mod used 100% tech level increase instead of the vanilla 2%

thunderchero
Marowi
Cadet 4th Year
Cadet 4th Year

Post by Marowi »

I see what you mean, thanks.

So, basically my goal was to try to bring back the vanilla buildings to solve the AI problem. I tried backtracking through the hex-editing on the thread you linked to, and (using UE) rebuilt the 230 main buildings, but unfortunately the game crashes every time I try to enter the system view. Is there an easier way of un-doing the automatic-upgrades patch that's integrated into UM5? Or a more reliable way than hex-editing the strings referred to in that thread (I might have missed one, for example)? An uninstall would be especially helpful.

The reason is, I suspect it's part of the AI problem--100% increases in production per turn result in exponential AI growth, which after a while pretty much gums up the system. Games of 300+ turns seem to be fairly impossible as a result. Alternatively, something more modest, like 20-30% growth per level might also help. But I want to see what happens under vanilla building conditions. What do you recommend?
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

Marowi wrote:but unfortunately the game crashes every time I try to enter the system view.
after making any changes like this saved games would never work. does it still crash on new game in system view?
Marowi wrote:What do you recommend?
reverting back changes like this is never easy.

If I was to attempt this I would add the vanilla building files to um5 then add back the buildings Dafedz created to vanilla building files with UE. and revert back trek.exe changes

But even this would not be easy without creating errors.

thunderchero
Marowi
Cadet 4th Year
Cadet 4th Year

Post by Marowi »

1. Yep. Tried it on new games only for all races.

2. That's what I was afraid you might say. I'm fairly certain the issue lies with the hex-editing; either I've made a mistake or I don't have a full understanding of all the changes made to trek.exe that affect building upgrades. I think (and correct me if i'm wrong) UM5 is currently using a 100% bonus per level; what's the hex value for something like 30% or 50%? I suppose I could just change the degree of the bonus and see how that affects the AI after 100 or so turns.
implodinggoat
Cadet 2nd Year
Cadet 2nd Year

Post by implodinggoat »

This is a great mod.

Thanks for all the hard work.
Platinumjsi
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Post by Platinumjsi »

Hey guys, anyone got a install guide for this? I downloaded and ran the file but when I come to run it nothing happens?
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

Platinumjsi wrote:Hey guys, anyone got a install guide for this? I downloaded and ran the file but when I come to run it nothing happens?
sounds like you need to install main multi installer first

https://www.armadafleetcommand.com/get- ... le_id=1958

this is the original game (full version) and must be installed first before installing any mod.

so first uninstall UM5 though start menu or uninstall programs
next download install file above then install UM5.

thunderchero
Platinumjsi
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Post by Platinumjsi »

Thanks, I looked at that and tried to download but got nothing, is the file still there?

edit, its downloading now, fingers crossed!! :D
Platinumjsi
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Post by Platinumjsi »

Ok installed with the game download suggested, and when I run it I get trek has stopped working?
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

Platinumjsi wrote:Ok installed with the game download suggested, and when I run it I get trek has stopped working?
to help we need more details or you might find an answer here.

viewforum.php?f=23

use the proper topic for your OS, if more help is needed post details of problem there.

thunderchero
Bulaba_Jones
Cadet 3rd Year
Cadet 3rd Year

Post by Bulaba_Jones »

Great mod! I am really enjoying it. I did however find an error: the Cardassian Obsidian Order gives "+25 Intelligence" rather than "general intelligence" or "intelligence total". In my own edit I replaced the Valdore for the Scimitar from the Ultimate Dominion Mod, so this is just my opinion but I think a Scimitar would be a better end-tier ship for Romulans than a Valdore. :)

Edit: I've been noticing a severe problem with AI expansion on "beginning" mode. By turn 100 I met the Klingons and by turn 150 I conquered them; they had approximately 18 colonies whose population was only between 50-80 as if the AI was unable to build more farms and industry. By turn 300 I encountered the Dominion: the same problem the Klingons had, the Dominion also had. By turn 325 I found the Federation and the same was true.

It's like the AI is unable to develop itself.
Bulaba_Jones
Cadet 3rd Year
Cadet 3rd Year

Post by Bulaba_Jones »

A couple other bugs I felt should be posted in a new post:

Cardassian Scout III doesn't upgrade from Scout II (simple fix)
Klingon Battle Cruiser III doesn't upgrade from Battle Cruiser II (again, simple to fix)
Klingon Strike Cruiser III doesn't upgrade from Strike Cruiser II

I found no other ship upgrade bugs.

A suggestion I have is to consider renaming the Dominion +morale project currently called "Death Squads" to "Jem'Hadar Reinforcements" or something that doesn't evoke rape and genocide.
Dafedz
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by Dafedz »

Yes there are a number of bugs and some balancing issues with the Beta, all of which have been corrected. There will be a new, updated and 'working-as-intended' release of UM5 soon.
Flocke
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by Flocke »

That sounds promising! :D
Glad to hear from you!

Return to “Ultimate Mod”