Ultimate Mod 5 v2.5 1024 (Updated 15/2/16)

Ultimate Mod; showcase and support/discussion/questions/suggestions/reviews

Moderator: thunderchero

User avatar
thunderchero
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Posts: 6074
Joined: Fri Apr 25, 2008 2:00 am
Location: On a three month training mission, in command of the USS Valiant.
Contact:

Re: UM5 problem

Post by thunderchero » Sat May 25, 2013 3:43 pm

have you downloaded version 2 Beta?

Btw this post will be joined to UM5 thread soon.

thunderchero

User avatar
Paranoia
Ensign
Ensign
Posts: 23
Joined: Sat Sep 13, 2008 2:00 am

Re: UM5 problem

Post by Paranoia » Sun May 26, 2013 4:03 am

thunderchero wrote:have you downloaded version 2 Beta?

Btw this post will be joined to UM5 thread soon.

thunderchero
no, i think its just the first UM5. ill check out which one ive got. thanks

User avatar
captaindusk
Commander
Commander
Posts: 293
Joined: Sat Feb 07, 2009 3:00 am

Re: Ultimate Mod 5 v1, coming soon!

Post by captaindusk » Sun May 26, 2013 12:02 pm

I might have missed something but I just noticed that there are no ships displayed in the Ships Overview Screen. No Crash or something but the rotating ships aren't displayed. I use Beta 2 version of UM5 and mpr++ 0.2.6c installer. Are there no ships included or is this a glitch? As I said I might have missed something but I thought I'd mention this. Anyway, keep up the great work!

OS is Win 7 64bit

User avatar
Flocke
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker
Posts: 2546
Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2008 2:00 am
Location: Hamburg, Germany
Contact:

Re: Ultimate Mod 5 v1, coming soon!

Post by Flocke » Sun May 26, 2013 12:10 pm

that might be cause there is no mpr++ ship pack for UM5 yet ;)

User avatar
captaindusk
Commander
Commander
Posts: 293
Joined: Sat Feb 07, 2009 3:00 am

Re: Ultimate Mod 5 v1, coming soon!

Post by captaindusk » Sun May 26, 2013 12:25 pm

Ok that's what I thought of :lol:

Cheers!

User avatar
Miscent
Cadet 2nd Year
Cadet 2nd Year
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Apr 28, 2008 2:00 am

Re: Ultimate Mod 5 v1, coming soon!

Post by Miscent » Sun May 26, 2013 4:46 pm

Just had a quick look at the shiplists.
In the cardasian shiplist the scout 2 and 3 have the same research.
And the destroyer 2/3/4 have the same research.
Maybe i got some time to really play it soon and give some more feedback.

User avatar
socke
Cadet 2nd Year
Cadet 2nd Year
Posts: 5
Joined: Fri May 14, 2010 2:00 am

Re: Ultimate Mod 5 v1, coming soon!

Post by socke » Mon May 27, 2013 2:21 am

ok so after my intial post I got the chance to test version 1 of the mod for a rough 250 rounds in 3 different games (Dom, Fed, Kling) all on large irregular with many minors and no random events. here is some thoughts and obversations:

Great stuff:

i never played previous Ultimate mods so there is a ton of new stuff for me there. above all, i am totally in love with this mod and have enjoyed every round of it. naming all the things i liked about it would go way overboard, but here are a few:

planet animations look great! particularly the degree of details (darkness on the side that doesnt face the sun e.g.) is amazing. same for the ships, love how the same class gets upgraded to different models (particularly constitution to excelsior is genius), though all excelsiors have the NX-2000 on them, but oh well.

i love exploring and expanding so now that all systems are really worth colonizing i am rather excited about expanding... ive build 20+ colony ships in home sector in each game so far. there has been some previous feedback by a user that empire management gets too complicated too soon with so many colonies, but i dont mind - in fact, most users of the mod are probably botf vanilla veterans anyway so the game just picks up pace sooner than vanilla and nobody said managing a galactic empire was supposed to be easy ^^

adding the dominion is great since i enjoyed DS9 more than TNG actually (pls dont hate me...), i noticed though how many of the minors i encountered are from the original series?

the auto upgrading of buildings takes some getting used to, but i suppose it makes sense. for one, previous colonies would invest huges amounts of time to upgrade from 1 to 8/9 and now just get productive a lot quicker, accelerating the game. there is some issues with it though - more later.

like i said, if i'd praise everything i liked there'd just be no end to it so here are some thoughts on improvement:

i noticed the voice issue with the new clips that you mentioned - rather than doing it all over, would it be possible to edit the last 0.5 seconds out of each file or something?

the increased galaxy size makes the large map view very confusing, ships cant be ordered around anymore either if there is already ships in the target sector, as they will get selected instead of the sector as a destination. small view on the other hand is often times not big enough. this is nothing that modding can help with though I assume?

the jem hadar face for the dominion "death squad" is nicely animated, but maybe it'd make more sense to borrow a screen cap of a jem hadar team, like for the vorta liaison? Love that one btw.

the cosmos class explorer requires less industry than the sovereign class - is this intended?

i was confused before, but this thread seems to clarify that none of the superships (all techs at 12) get upgraded into the final form, regardless of whether the previous ones were called Explorer III or Battleship III? in that case it might make sense to rename them all completely new, like Dreadnought, Juggernaught... etc to avoid confusion and in order not to have Battleship III and IV coexisted in a fleet.

the ferengi energy exchange makes a nice dominion research lab, but maybe you can adjust the color like you did with the ferengi galaxy menu and other buildings? the bright color doesnt fit the dom hud so well.

with the huge inflation of the value of credits (high incomes, lowered value of bribes etc) trade routes have incredibly lots importance - maybe at least every home sector should still have two trade routes to compensate for that and help acclimate minor races?

any way to edit the ferengi background tune and add something more dominion-like?

in the constructino screen, all building display their level 1 productivity (industry 7, research 10 etc) but of course they all produce a ton more depending on tech. any way to adjust this?

some systems dont display all planets, i had cases of 9 in a system with many bigger ones, where the outer one could barely be seen anymore. also, there is a glitch in terraforming similar to the known vanilla glitch between large desert and tiny volcanic, where the yellow terraform overlay is a mismatch. i think i noticed this on a huge oceanic planet and maybe another one or two.

the fact that increased productivity is achieved through tech bonus and not through upgrades renders all bonus productivity buildings useless, such as the employment center, benzite industrial center and even the minor race (colorian...?) shipyard. their bonus is calculated based on the level 1 productivity, meaning that if one reaches those buildings, the percentage increase is dismal. for example, with 10 dom factories, base production is 70, with higher tech it may get bonused up to 800 easily. adding an employment center then adds 10% to the base, which is hardly anything. not sure how to fix this though without re-introducing the factory 1-9

previously you said many ship models were tossed out of the new mod so that one wouldnt have loads of unnecessary ship types in late game. i feel you there (particularly federation), but some models can still be "recycled" into the game. i'd like to see the intrepid class for example as the latest scout instead of miranda class III. then again, we do see miranda class ships from as early as "wrath of kahn" to as late as the battle to retake DS9... so i guess either way works. just a thought.

in the T'lani race description, there is a typo at "tecHnologically" with the H missing.



so much for some initial observations. again like i said, totally in love with the mod and what it does with botf - cant even begin to fathom the amount of work that went into 60+ mb of coding and tinkering... also, none of the above seriously impact gameplay, though some are annoying.

another thing i noticed is the low level of AI that you mentioned in your original post - am also baffled what may be causing this. usually the AI is happy to colonize a 95 system in vanilla but not they arent jumping at all the opportunity. out of the 3 games i started with version 1, i abandoned the first two after i met some other powers who were very weak, having colonized 7 systems roughly each, while i had 30 and none had acquired a minor beyond maybe 1 or two max. in my 3rd game i started on tech 2 and had AI start on tech 5 (level 4 "advanced"). havent met any yet, so will see how this game goes. this is hardly practical though in case i wanna start a game with high tech level myself one time. also it seems that the growth of AI powers is somewhat linear at slow pace, meaning they can easily be outstripped despite tech difference depending on how long it takes to meet them/start wars.

User avatar
rynebrandon
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Mar 05, 2009 3:00 am

Re: Ultimate Mod 5 v1, coming soon!

Post by rynebrandon » Mon May 27, 2013 3:08 am

Am I seriously the only experiencing this glitch where the other empires aren't building ships?

User avatar
socke
Cadet 2nd Year
Cadet 2nd Year
Posts: 5
Joined: Fri May 14, 2010 2:00 am

Re: Ultimate Mod 5 v1, coming soon!

Post by socke » Mon May 27, 2013 6:06 am

others have report issues with AI @ryne... on the same note: i am not sure AI is researching.

i am playing beta2 with dom on medium irregular map, impossible, many minors, random events on. me starting on 1, all AI starting on 3 - had hoped the bonus would make it interesting. so far i met the cards who have been trying to sabotage me mostly unsuccessfully. after about 150 rounds it seems though that their initial bonus has worn out and we are now (according to the intel screen) on par militarily and scientifically. im also making more money (econ). we both have 11 systems currently. it seems they have neither made great advances in tech or bothered to build too many ships as i currently only have about 10 warships...

so much for AI. a couple of other things i observed:

the "friends of the founders" building it supposedly only available in subjugated systems, but on higher starting tech there is one in omarion already.

the romulan senate is the only empire wide moral building that doesnt come with +1 moral locally (intentional?)

dominion security reports start with "our security agents have earned their pay" when a sabotage event has been averted. still ferengi style :)

in the Xindi minor race description there is a type in "hIErarchy", also the division of labor among the species contrasts "thinkers" with "intellectuals", guess thats intended differently?

there no longer seems to be a moral bonus on productivity which i guess is intentional?

usefulness of minor races varies even greater than in vanilla (trill vs pakled e.g.); tellarians have several crazily good buildings, tamarians none... and also the latter dont build ships anymore it seems.

User avatar
Dafedz
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander
Posts: 109
Joined: Mon May 05, 2008 2:00 am

Re: Ultimate Mod 5 v1, coming soon!

Post by Dafedz » Mon May 27, 2013 8:42 am

Thank you everyone for your thoughtful and in-depth analysis and bug-reporting. All very valuable and exactly what I was looking for to help get this mod finished (and functioning as intended). Hopefully some time this week I'll get the chance to fix these various issues for a future patch, and to address the questions and points raised... Thanks again!

User avatar
Dafedz
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander
Posts: 109
Joined: Mon May 05, 2008 2:00 am

Re: Ultimate Mod 5 v1, coming soon!

Post by Dafedz » Mon May 27, 2013 11:30 am

To to answer a few quick points while I'm here and have the opportunity...
rynebrandon wrote:Hey dafedz,

I'm absolutely loving the mod overall. I haven't downloaded v2 yet but I have played 2 full games on the original version and the biggest problem I've seen is with regards to how the empires choose to defend themselves. Playing Feds to turn 350 and Roms to turn 200, the other empires, irrespective of who they are don't ever seem to build more than about 10 ships and if you battle and destroy them, they just seem to pack it in and call it a day. Also, once you get up to the really high turn counts its not uncommon to see planets within an empire having 200, 300, 400 orbital batteries. Something about the tweaks to the AI have made them very internally oriented on their defenses.
There still seems to be a debilitating AI issue in regards to ship building and empire development. If any modders out there could take a look and help figure out why this is the case I would very much appreciate it. The orbital battery issue is bizarre. 400? Seriously? I'm at a loss tbh...
Miscent wrote:Just had a quick look at the shiplists.
In the cardasian shiplist the scout 2 and 3 have the same research.
And the destroyer 2/3/4 have the same research.
Maybe i got some time to really play it soon and give some more feedback.
Thank you for reporting this. An oversight, which I will fix. In all honesty the ship list and stat balancing etc has not been rigorously attended to as yet. Further tweaks are inevitable.
socke wrote:ok so after my intial post I got the chance to test version 1 of the mod for a rough 250 rounds in 3 different games (Dom, Fed, Kling) all on large irregular with many minors and no random events. here is some thoughts and obversations:

Great stuff:

i never played previous Ultimate mods so there is a ton of new stuff for me there. above all, i am totally in love with this mod and have enjoyed every round of it. naming all the things i liked about it would go way overboard, but here are a few:

planet animations look great! particularly the degree of details (darkness on the side that doesnt face the sun e.g.) is amazing. same for the ships, love how the same class gets upgraded to different models (particularly constitution to excelsior is genius), though all excelsiors have the NX-2000 on them, but oh well.
Thank you mate for your positive comments. Makes the effort all worthwhile! Yeh the Excelsior texture comes from my own high-poly Excelsior model and texture, which has the registry NX-2000. I guess I should remove this, thanks for pointing it out.
socke wrote: i love exploring and expanding so now that all systems are really worth colonizing i am rather excited about expanding... ive build 20+ colony ships in home sector in each game so far. there has been some previous feedback by a user that empire management gets too complicated too soon with so many colonies, but i dont mind - in fact, most users of the mod are probably botf vanilla veterans anyway so the game just picks up pace sooner than vanilla and nobody said managing a galactic empire was supposed to be easy ^^
This comes with the territory of having a larger galactic map. In fact UM5's map sizes are a fair amount smaller than other mods.
socke wrote:adding the dominion is great since i enjoyed DS9 more than TNG actually (pls dont hate me...), i noticed though how many of the minors i encountered are from the original series?
Pretty much all the minor races in UM5 appeared in earlier Ultimate Mods, with, I think, only the exception of the Halkans this time. I just wanted to swap in a new Pacifist race to replace the Mizarians, who are rather boring. Yeh they both provide the same function, but I just wanted something different.
socke wrote:i noticed the voice issue with the new clips that you mentioned - rather than doing it all over, would it be possible to edit the last 0.5 seconds out of each file or something?
Changing the voices is a nightmare. Just a nightmare. There are hundreds of clips to create, edit, organise, and its pretty complicated when you consider that each one has to undergo three different states of editing. 1). the raw recording 2). an edit of that recording to trim it, amplify it, test it etc 3). conversion of the file to native botf format. And all this must be done in perfect harmony with the established numbering system of files in English.snd. I can't tell you the amount of times one was accidentally named with the wrong number, put in the wrong order, misplaced entirely or inserted prior to conversion - or converted accidentally into the wrong type or with wrong bitrate etc, and so on and so forth. Once again, it is a damn nightmare to do the voices lol. Having to redo or re-edit every single one of them again makes me shudder lol. IF I could obtain a new text > voice rendering system superior to the one I have - i mean far superior, which could produce voice clips of far superior quality, making such a venture worthwhile, only then, I think, will I ever revisit voice clips.
socke wrote:the increased galaxy size makes the large map view very confusing, ships cant be ordered around anymore either if there is already ships in the target sector, as they will get selected instead of the sector as a destination. small view on the other hand is often times not big enough. this is nothing that modding can help with though I assume?
Aren't you able to just select the ship or taskforce from the list on the left hand side and deploy them that way? I know what you mean though. One of the things I've always wanted to see with botf (especially now with the far great galaxy sizes) is a third 'medium' zoom option.
socke wrote:the jem hadar face for the dominion "death squad" is nicely animated, but maybe it'd make more sense to borrow a screen cap of a jem hadar team, like for the vorta liaison? Love that one btw.
I didn't render that btw. That's an image straight out of the BoTF II database. It might be one of the vjeko's, I'm not sure of its actual origin. Earlier UM's did use a DS9 screenshot of a Jem'Hadar firing his phaser. But I thought this was cooler.
socke wrote:the cosmos class explorer requires less industry than the sovereign class - is this intended?
Thanks. This will be fixed for an upcoming patch.
socke wrote:i was confused before, but this thread seems to clarify that none of the superships (all techs at 12) get upgraded into the final form, regardless of whether the previous ones were called Explorer III or Battleship III? in that case it might make sense to rename them all completely new, like Dreadnought, Juggernaught... etc to avoid confusion and in order not to have Battleship III and IV coexisted in a fleet.
A couple of existing ships have this naming convention currently (eg Cardassian Dreadnought). But each one for each empire should be different I feel. I'll look into this.
socke wrote:the ferengi energy exchange makes a nice dominion research lab, but maybe you can adjust the color like you did with the ferengi galaxy menu and other buildings? the bright color doesnt fit the dom hud so well.
Cheers for the suggestion. I'll change the image for the next patch.
socke wrote:with the huge inflation of the value of credits (high incomes, lowered value of bribes etc) trade routes have incredibly lots importance - maybe at least every home sector should still have two trade routes to compensate for that and help acclimate minor races?
Trade routes maybe one of the issues I'll have to look into again if I'm to fix this economy issue...
socke wrote:any way to edit the ferengi background tune and add something more dominion-like?
The only solution to this would be to just use the Cardassian or Romulan soundtrack, for example, instead.
socke wrote:in the constructino screen, all building display their level 1 productivity (industry 7, research 10 etc) but of course they all produce a ton more depending on tech. any way to adjust this?
There is no fix for this. But the modded tooltip display will give you exact data for what bonuses you are getting. If you go to the Production screen and mouse-over the outputs on the right side of the display - for example where it may say Output: XX Industry, you'll see the tooltip.
socke wrote:some systems dont display all planets, i had cases of 9 in a system with many bigger ones, where the outer one could barely be seen anymore. also, there is a glitch in terraforming similar to the known vanilla glitch between large desert and tiny volcanic, where the yellow terraform overlay is a mismatch. i think i noticed this on a huge oceanic planet and maybe another one or two.
In rare circumstances you may get a sizable system of 9 planets, where a large portion of those planets might be 'Large'. The space required to display these may result in nudging the 9th planet off the edge of the screen. So far I've not seen one that is all the way off the screen - you can still see a part of it, enough to select it for terraforming etc. The only solution to prevent this from happening would be to mod the maximum planet number down to 8, which I don't want to do.
socke wrote:the fact that increased productivity is achieved through tech bonus and not through upgrades renders all bonus productivity buildings useless, such as the employment center, benzite industrial center and even the minor race (colorian...?) shipyard. their bonus is calculated based on the level 1 productivity, meaning that if one reaches those buildings, the percentage increase is dismal. for example, with 10 dom factories, base production is 70, with higher tech it may get bonused up to 800 easily. adding an employment center then adds 10% to the base, which is hardly anything. not sure how to fix this though without re-introducing the factory 1-9
I wasn't aware of this being the case. If so, I will look into it and adjust accordingly, thanks.
socke wrote:previously you said many ship models were tossed out of the new mod so that one wouldnt have loads of unnecessary ship types in late game. i feel you there (particularly federation), but some models can still be "recycled" into the game. i'd like to see the intrepid class for example as the latest scout instead of miranda class III. then again, we do see miranda class ships from as early as "wrath of kahn" to as late as the battle to retake DS9... so i guess either way works. just a thought.
With the introduction of ship packs and DCER's UE this is easy to do now, if you wanted to further mod the shiplist. The reason why the Miranda is still there as Scout III is exactly as you have highlighted, that it was an active ship class, and even combatant, during the Dominion war. As was the Excelsior, which is why they both still feature as end game ships.
socke wrote:in the T'lani race description, there is a typo at "tecHnologically" with the H missing.
Nice spot, thanks.
socke wrote:another thing i noticed is the low level of AI that you mentioned in your original post - am also baffled what may be causing this. usually the AI is happy to colonize a 95 system in vanilla but not they arent jumping at all the opportunity. out of the 3 games i started with version 1, i abandoned the first two after i met some other powers who were very weak, having colonized 7 systems roughly each, while i had 30 and none had acquired a minor beyond maybe 1 or two max. in my 3rd game i started on tech 2 and had AI start on tech 5 (level 4 "advanced"). havent met any yet, so will see how this game goes. this is hardly practical though in case i wanna start a game with high tech level myself one time. also it seems that the growth of AI powers is somewhat linear at slow pace, meaning they can easily be outstripped despite tech difference depending on how long it takes to meet them/start wars.
Major empire development - in ship building, colonization, economy and research etc, is the major issue I'm confronted with atm (most other stuff just being cosmetic. I still don't know why this has gone askew. Again if any modders out there can help nail down what the problem is I'd be very appreciative.
socke wrote:the "friends of the founders" building it supposedly only available in subjugated systems, but on higher starting tech there is one in omarion already.
That is simply an error in empire starting conditions, which I will fix. Thanks for pointing it out.
socke wrote:the romulan senate is the only empire wide moral building that doesnt come with +1 moral locally (intentional?)
Fixed, thanks.
socke wrote:dominion security reports start with "our security agents have earned their pay" when a sabotage event has been averted. still ferengi style :)
Well the Dominion are capitalists, not quite so much as the Ferengi however...
socke wrote:in the Xindi minor race description there is a type in "hIErarchy", also the division of labor among the species contrasts "thinkers" with "intellectuals", guess thats intended differently?
Thanks. I changed 'thinkers' to 'philosophers', which I guess is what I was trying to highlight.
socke wrote:usefulness of minor races varies even greater than in vanilla (trill vs pakled e.g.); tellarians have several crazily good buildings, tamarians none... and also the latter dont build ships anymore it seems.
The Tellarians I purposefully made a 'major' minor race, a bit like the Vulcans if you like. But Tamarians are pretty cool also - I don't understand what you mean by not having structures. They have 2 structures, and they still have their usual Tamarian Defender (cruiser type) starship.

User avatar
socke
Cadet 2nd Year
Cadet 2nd Year
Posts: 5
Joined: Fri May 14, 2010 2:00 am

Re: Ultimate Mod 5 v1, coming soon!

Post by socke » Tue May 28, 2013 2:01 am

thanks for your feedback, glad to see the whole project evolving. i (like many others) have vainly hoped for a botf 2 and your mod is despite all clones and projects the closest to it that i have seen. something really great is underway here and ill probably wont return to the vanilla game too soon :)

maybe some clarification:

what i meant with maneuvring ships around the large view was that if you select them (fleet 1), you cant send them to any sector that already has a fleet (2) in it. with fleet 1 selected and clicking the target sector with fleet 2 in it, fleet 2 will instead be selected since the fleet icon fills out the entire sector (hope that makes more sense). medium view would be great, but probably nothing that can be solved without major tinkering with vanilla game's code.

there is other fed models that have a signature on them, i dont mind so much since they'd look strange without one and the models overall are brilliant! i particularly like how the excelsior has quantum torpedos in the final outfit versus its previous class (USS Lakota anyone?).

is the amount of total minors for the game fixed or can you add as many as you like, out of which a set number will then appear in any given game depending on map preferences? just curious. a bit of a mix up will do the game good. another thing that has always bothered me with the minors is some of the pictures they used in the diplomatic view that can now be corrected with a mod. im glad that the god awful picture of the federation admiral is now gone, though the one of adm ross is a bit low resolution. a bunch of the other races (vulcans come to mind) have dumb looking pics with ridiculous facial expressions as well. if thats something easy enough to change, you could look into replacing them with more quality pictures from DS9 or enterprise (never watched the latter but suppose thats where the new andorian is from?). having gowron and letant from DS9 replace the klingon (the dude from the shuttle from the tng episode who wouldnt talk) and the random romulan could add atmosphere too!

on a similar note, the graphics in construction screen in botf style have always bothered me - namely the style of charge collector and orbital battery which look a bit like candy shop. i love your work with some of the new pics (particularly the dom plasma grid looks fantastic!), and am thinking in a similar direction for some of the old ones or alternatively screen caps which worked great for some other stuff (mentioned vorta liaison before). i liked the orbital batteries from DS9 ( http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb2 ... atform.jpg )

for the top grade fed ship i found the name 'explorer' a bit confusing, since in my head i associate it with a scout. big step from the dreadnought it was in vanilla game :)

as for the trade routes, my observation is that they dont do much in terms of acclimating minors and unless the the income can somehow be significantly increased, they wont matter much anyway. +2000 creds per round is easily achieved after a couple dozen rounds and +30/40 from a trade route really dont seem to matter much, whether there are one or two of them. they were really only significant for the ferengi in vanilla game since it was one of their major race perks.

for the music, i'll probably just switch off the whole background music and play my own stuff from the desktop :-) card might fit better though.

the planet display issue isnt that big a deal, if all can be viewed at least partially. and in a system which has 9 gigantic planets, pop is gonna be so high the one extra planet wouldnt hurt if it cant be seen... i'd rather leave it at 9 max as well. the terraform overlay isnt a big bother as well and never irritated me much in the vanilla game. i saw a fix for this at some point, but might be tough to incorporate... the original mistake between the large dessert and tiny vulcanic originated from the special designation in sol system where a they were changed so that a tiny Y planet can support more pop.

the +100% production is a big thing though, i membered the kalamyte (?) minor with their special power generator (+150% energy, takes 120 energy to run) and the system has LESS energy with the thing switched on :-) similarly, the tellarite shipyard improves my 1050 industry up to 1150 or something despite its supposed +100% shipbuilding.

similar to the dom security reports, their diplomatic messages are still all ferengi ("our generosity knows no limits"), with stuff like "witness the grace of the founders" or "the founders invite you to an audience", "the founders in their wisdom decided to invite you to form an alliance" or whatnot seeming more appropriate.

no problem with minors being of varying quality, what i meant though was that the tamarians dont have any "crazyily good" buildings, not that they have no buildings at all. also, i guess they just didnt build their ships in my game then :)

as for the AI issue, i had a random theory: does the 'Mudd' cheat still work with the UM exe? my impression in previous games on impossible difficulty in vanilla was that (particularly at lower starting tech) the AI is cheating like there's no tmrw. i realize this is far fetched, but if the mudd cheat is indeed engraved into the AI behavior and its no longer functioning, maybe they dont "cheat" their ships anymore like they used to. and rather than not build them now, they werent building them to begin with. this sounded a bit less crazy in my head, but oh well :-)

User avatar
rynebrandon
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Mar 05, 2009 3:00 am

Re: Ultimate Mod 5 v1, coming soon!

Post by rynebrandon » Wed May 29, 2013 2:31 am

as for the AI issue, i had a random theory: does the 'Mudd' cheat still work with the UM exe? my impression in previous games on impossible difficulty in vanilla was that (particularly at lower starting tech) the AI is cheating like there's no tmrw. i realize this is far fetched, but if the mudd cheat is indeed engraved into the AI behavior and its no longer functioning, maybe they dont "cheat" their ships anymore like they used to. and rather than not build them now, they werent building them to begin with.
Unfortunately, if that is the case than its specific to the alien races because -Mudd worked fine for me. I know because I was quick-simming a few games in a row up to about turn 100 to see if anything changed (maybe it was just a one game quirk) and then F11 to see what the galaxy had to offer. No such luck. No ships to speak of really.

User avatar
Dewbacca
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander
Posts: 138
Joined: Sat Nov 14, 2009 3:00 am

Re: Ultimate Mod 5 v1, coming soon!

Post by Dewbacca » Wed May 29, 2013 6:52 pm

I have been testing the game, have a lot of opinion and kudos to give... but thought I would post anything more important that I find earlier so it might be reviewed and considered in upcoming patches.

Playing Klingons and just noticed that I am getting the same Crew experience on Qo'noS (Training Facility +15 and Klingon Training Academy +55) as I am on worlds with just a Training Facility. Either way ships come off the line with a 700 crew morale.

I expected this to be cumulative, or at least Qo'nos to be higher with the superior Academy.

Generally loving the mod, haven't played any of the previous versions, but the few minors I have seen are done well... just need to be more than a "few" on the "many" setting. right now on a medium sized galaxy I am about to eradicate the Federation, have explored 1/3 of map (without meeting the other 3 majors) and only 3 minors by turn 85 compared to my 15 systems, several fully developed.

User avatar
Martok
Rear-Admiral
Rear-Admiral
Posts: 1141
Joined: Thu May 01, 2008 2:00 am

Re: Ultimate Mod 5 v1, coming soon!

Post by Martok » Thu May 30, 2013 6:22 am

Dewbacca wrote:Playing Klingons and just noticed that I am getting the same Crew experience on Qo'noS (Training Facility +15 and Klingon Training Academy +55) as I am on worlds with just a Training Facility. Either way ships come off the line with a 700 crew morale.

I expected this to be cumulative, or at least Qo'nos to be higher with the superior Academy.

I suspect this is an issue native to the vanilla game, not just UM5. (I see the same thing in Balance of Power.)

I'm pretty sure that in general, having multiple training buildings in a star system only affects the amount of exp gained per turn (while training). It does not increase your ship's starting experience level, however.
"Evil is easy, and has infinite forms." -- Pascal

Post Reply

Return to “Ultimate Mod”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users