Ultimate Mod 5 v5.5 Redux (New)

Ultimate Mod; showcase and support/discussion/questions/suggestions/reviews

Moderator: thunderchero

thunderchero
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Location: On a three month training mission, in command of the USS Valiant.

Re: Ultimate Mod 5 v5.5 Redux (New)

Post by thunderchero »

Spocks-cuddly-tribble wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 11:57 am Maybe the file header (e.g. relocation areas) is corrupted? But it doesn't matter. UM5.5 (Fixed/Patched) runs just fine. :up:
you could add relocation4.patch and test
viewtopic.php?p=53896#p53896
Spocks-cuddly-tribble
Code Master
Code Master

Post by Spocks-cuddly-tribble »

thunderchero wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 12:20 pmadd relocation4.patch and test
relocation4.patch: download/file.php?id=2302 Thanks, solved all AV, OS-handling and analysis issues. :up: But do NOT change registry or UM5 won't start!

Tested UM5.5 (with my 3 multi patches) + relocation4.patch -> runs even a bit smoother on my very old laptop (even in combat). :wink:
Great mod with nice flair, graphics and gameplay who still retains some vanilla feel. Thumbs up for Dafedz. :cool:

So I think all Cardassian saboteurs have been identified, localised and terminated! Martial law is rescinded.

EDIT: @ Dafedz

1.) Thunderchero and me would add mentioned irregular galaxies and extra resolutions for you in the installer. So you don't have to invest extra time.
+ Easy to undo if you don't like it + with this change you might even call it UM6. :wink:

2.) I can't find any of the advertised Dabo-Girls structures in the build lists...:sad: Very disappointed in you!
I don't know how many bugs is too many but that point is reached somewhere before however many in BotF is.
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

Spocks-cuddly-tribble wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 2:49 pm 1.) Thunderchero and me would add mentioned irregular galaxies and extra resolutions for you in the installer. So you don't have to invest extra time.
+ Easy to undo if you don't like it + with this change you might even call it UM6. :wink:
here is example of what large would look like

30% density (old irreg)
30.jpg
30.jpg (507.77 KiB) Viewed 1062 times
25% density (old spiral)
25.jpg
25.jpg (497.54 KiB) Viewed 1062 times
20% (old ring)
20.jpg
20.jpg (479.56 KiB) Viewed 1062 times
15% (old ellip)
15.jpg
15.jpg (452.68 KiB) Viewed 1062 times
patch is editable for starting distance and density % for each galaxy size :wink:

Edit; I am also surprised you are not using X Y on build screen and 8 build queue

if it was due to conflict
Build queue needs relocation table before adding (also required before xy patch)
X Y -> map remove letters to numbers before adding
Dafedz
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by Dafedz »

thunderchero wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 7:13 pm map generation I had a lot of issues with ring and spiral (readrace error)
Possible reason for that might be a late edition I made with this patch: viewtopic.php?f=4&p=52712#p52712 The caution however is indeed errors for ring and spiral galaxies. That might be the problem.
Spocks-cuddly-tribble wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 3:10 pm Here is REMOVE, ADD & UPDATE multi patches for UM5.5 (not perfect but best I can do right now):

UM5.5patches.zip

Fixes tech level bonus issues, adds code for aft torpedo launchers, AI combat behavior and much more. :wink:
But there is still something strange. The OllyDbg warning is still there with UM5.5? :???: [/url]
Thank you so much for this SCT!

That OllyDbg warning is new to me. I've never seen it before, and have no idea why it's coming up now and not with previous UM5 version. ???
I and other user like Benman feel the same. But UM5.5 becomes unplayable if a graphic card doesn't support 1366x768. I don't know how common this is? So maintaining the current installer UM5 resolutions might make sense?
Yes agreed, it does make sense, but truthfully I can't imagine many cards not supporting at least 1366x768 these days. But UM5 does still support 1024x768 so people have options. It's just that when I play botf and have worked on the mod it was always with 1366x768 in mind. I might have said it better by stating 1366x768 is UM5's optimum format/resolution.
thunderchero wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 9:14 pm
few lexicon edits, tga files, cc_bkgd.tga and patch
irregular.patch

also here is a patch folder of the green (no conflicts) patches (many other changes still left undocumented)
UM5_patches.zip
Many thanks. I'll think about if I want to do this. At top of the post (my using the 30 minors patch) and the issue for non-Irregular galaxies, needs to be considered. I may have to implement this if there's no other way.
Spocks-cuddly-tribble wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 10:55 pm I looked at Dafedz nice ships. :up:
Some have minor transparency issues in certain areas/angels (Defiant, Sovereign, B'rel and Dominion scout) but it's not disturbing.
Just the Keldon texture looks a bit drab/unfinished:

Keldon.png
The Defiant and Sovereign - and I think the B'rel - are unchanged vanilla models. All Dominion models are Siggi's. Of these ships mentioned only the textures have been updated/improved. The Keldon is also one of the ships that aren't mine. I think that was one of Jigglypuff's from back in the day. I agree the texture is rough. I should perhaps get to updating it like the Galor.
Buttons issue in options screen:
That is strange. Not experiencing that myself, nothing in the GUI has changed since original UM5, so there should no problems.

Dafedz
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by Dafedz »

Spocks-cuddly-tribble wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 10:55 pm
Dafedz wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 12:24 pmOne thing that really bugs me which I can't find a workaround for. I've had the issue where AI empires - when set to invade a minor - will in a single turn totally wipe out that minor. You then lose that minor from the game, and the special structures they bring.
Two patch versions for "at some point the AI destroys too many systems instead of conquering them".

NAME: AI vs AI System Attack Workaround (50% Pop damage)
DESC: 50% bombing damage AI vs AI to pop/buildings except active OBs & SH. Player and AI vs player systems unchanged.
Wow that's an old one, and I think I've since corrected the problem by re-balancing all ships. Torpedo power was particularly strong before, causing many systems to fall with ease. OBs and shields made almost no difference. This has been addressed and the problem should not arise as it did before. But good work! I'll definitely looks at this patch and give it a test.

I'll get to answering other posts next time. For now gotta run.
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

Dafedz wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 9:46 am
Buttons issue in options screen:
That is strange. Not experiencing that myself, nothing in the GUI has changed since original UM5, so there should no problems.
this was due to 1024 tga files being carried over to 1366, should be fixed in next version of installer.
Spocks-cuddly-tribble
Code Master
Code Master

Dafedz wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 9:46 amThe caution however is indeed errors for ring and spiral galaxies. That might be the problem.
It's not only the readrace-crashes with ring/spiral, worse is galaxy hang-ups (endless loop, in full screen mode might require a system shutdown). For this reason I removed 'Faire starting positions for default maps' in my patches for you (increases minimum empire home system distances in ALL galaxy types).

Dafedz wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 9:46 amThat OllyDbg warning is new to me. I've never seen it before, and have no idea why it's coming up now and not with previous UM5 version. ???
Analysis tool, just ignore. This and all AV issues is solved with relocation patch 4 by thunderchero :up:

@ thunderchero - with updated relocation patches 2-4 this should be oudated?:
► Show Spoiler

Dafedz wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 9:46 amtruthfully I can't imagine many cards not supporting at least 1366x768 these days.
It's not a hardware issue. Sometimes graphic driver or OS updates remove useful features for no reason (for similar reasons great new sun animations had to be removed from many mods). But there is workarounds: viewtopic.php?p=51586#p51586

Dafedz wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 9:46 amI'll think about if I want to do this. At top of the post (my using the 30 minors patch) and the issue for non-Irregular galaxies, needs to be considered. I may have to implement this if there's no other way.
It's by no means a must, but would enhance your mod given the way you (and your fans) feel about the other galaxy shapes.
Plus it's far less work to set this up then to mess with the other galaxy shape parameters for empire-min-distance and minor-races.
Larger galaxies + higher star density causes more AI lag. With patch you could choose density for your liking for each game.
As told we offer to do it for you, including dynamic minor race density option for always 30 minors all maps on many/all.

Dafedz wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 9:46 amThe Defiant and Sovereign - and I think the B'rel - are unchanged vanilla models.
You're absolutely right. Just double checked the vanilla ships and all issues are there.
I just never noticed it since I'm not used to the zoom factor of high res research screens.

Dafedz wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 10:00 amThis has been addressed and the problem should not arise as it did before. But good work! I'll definitely looks at this patch and give it a test.
Just extra info, don't waste time for it. My multi patch adds a combo of AI behavior fixes for you, so the AI will not use it's entire fleet to bomb INDEPENDENT minors (unless it needs the firepower). If a minor is part of an other empire it still might happen (hence my extra hint).
Patches were created for ECM (vanilla ship stats). Endgame with many AI ships was problematic, even more with larger maps (hence two versions).
I don't know how many bugs is too many but that point is reached somewhere before however many in BotF is.
Dafedz
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by Dafedz »

Spocks-cuddly-tribble wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 6:59 pm
Dafedz wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 9:46 amThe caution however is indeed errors for ring and spiral galaxies. That might be the problem.
It's not only the readrace-crashes with ring/spiral, worse is galaxy hang-ups (endless loop, in full screen mode might require a system shutdown). For this reason I removed 'Faire starting positions for default maps' in my patches for you (increases minimum empire home system distances in ALL galaxy types).
Oh I see, agreed and fair enough. I've experienced that fullscreen hang up before, and it's why I mostly stick with window mode.
Spocks-cuddly-tribble wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 6:59 pm It's by no means a must, but would enhance your mod given the way you (and your fans) feel about the other galaxy shapes.
Plus it's far less work to set this up then to mess with the other galaxy shape parameters for empire-min-distance and minor-races.
Larger galaxies + higher star density causes more AI lag. With patch you could choose density for your liking for each game.
As told we offer to do it for you, including dynamic minor race density option for always 30 minors all maps on many/all.

EDIT: @ Dafedz

1.) Thunderchero and me would add mentioned irregular galaxies and extra resolutions for you in the installer. So you don't have to invest extra time.
This is an excellent workaround, love it. Awesome work guys. I'd very much like to see this implemented in my mod. I played around a lot with the Irregular density settings. For me the biggest issue I found was star distribution. I'm not a fan of dense clusters, or wide-open spaces, I much prefer an even and consistent spread. Its not always easy to achieve. I ran so many experiments with different settings. This was probably the most reasonable result for my liking, small galaxy (28x14) 150 space objects at 1.0 density.

Spocks-cuddly-tribble wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 6:59 pm 2.) I can't find any of the advertised Dabo-Girls structures in the build lists...:sad: Very disappointed in you!
You missed it then. See 'Risan Pleasure Dome'. But bring latinum, they don't come cheap!
thunderchero wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 6:59 pmEdit; I am also surprised you are not using X Y on build screen and 8 build queue[/img]
I became cautious of, as Scotty would say, 'over-working the plumbing'. The more the patch list got clogged with red flags I decided to back down and leave some things out. But if you can make it work they you've got my green light for sure!
thunderchero wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 6:59 pm + Easy to undo if you don't like it + with this change you might even call it UM6. :wink:
I did indeed consider calling this UM6 - but the qualification for that was the 2 holy grail additions/breakthroughs (for me) yet to be found. One is an extension to the tech tree - more tech fields (one being sociology), the other thing - more minors. It's great we can now have all 30 minors in a game, but if we could ever go beyond that (even just an extra 10), that would definitely prompt a UM6 release!
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

Dafedz wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 9:24 am This is an excellent workaround, love it. Awesome work guys. I'd very much like to see this implemented in my mod.
right now sounds like you are interested in SCT suggested patches above.
XY and build queue
irregular maps
if I missed any thing let me know

if you have any recent changes upload them then give me a couple days to put files together in next beta installer.

after that your testing and changes would be based of new beta.

also would give other member a chance to test your mod using installer.
Spocks-cuddly-tribble
Code Master
Code Master

Dafedz wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 9:24 aman extension to the tech tree - more tech fields (one being sociology), the other thing - more minors. It's great we can now have all 30 minors in a game, but if we could ever go beyond that (even just an extra 10)
Simple, just quit your job, learn programming and in 2/3 years present your re-worked trek.exe and stbof.res for more minor races.
A few extra months for more tech areas shouldn't matter in this case.... But I'd rather consider a BOTF style UM mod for Supremacy. :wink:

Remember we need the updated shiplist.sst: :!:
Spocks-cuddly-tribble wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 5:11 pmEstimate about 30 minutes (conception + editing all shiplist.sst 'beam min range' values).

Hard coded default is a torpedo firing arc of 60 degree forward for all ships, stations and monster.
With patch new aft torpedo arc = (360 -'beam min range') so 'beam min range' 315 = extra 45 aft.

- ECM uses: (-> 'beam min range' value)
360 degree torpedo firing arc for strike cruiser and powerful monster (borg/edo) -> 1.0
extra 45 aft for all other cruiser -> 315.0
no extra aft for all other armed ships/monster (fast group, armed colony/TT) -> 360.0
unarmed (no beams or torpedoes) -> 0.0

The patch sets all stations to 360 degree via trek.exe (shiplist.sst ignored)
All other ships/monster aft arcs are read from shiplist.sst (360 - 'beam min range')
I'd also suggest the UE auto set feature for ship specific weapon animations (we can do for you).
So stolen and minor ships retain unique weapons in new fleets (nice touch).
And if you return for the next update you can edit all ships' weapon colors more canon (2-3 hours work).
Flocke
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by Flocke »

Spocks-cuddly-tribble wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 5:12 pm Simple, just quit your job, learn programming and in 2/3 years present your re-worked trek.exe and stbof.res for more minor races.
Now you laugh, but soon you will realize that for any serious future modding of BotF you will have to learn programming! :mrgreen:
Spocks-cuddly-tribble
Code Master
Code Master

Flocke wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 3:51 pmfor any serious future modding of BotF you will have to learn programming!
Just go ahead! We're all behind you to provide rear cover. :up:
But better diplomacy, smarter AI or eliminating AI turn + combat-lags means trashing the codes, not modding them, in BotF.

Even the rectified minors in ECM still make the game too easy, so I most turn them off (i.e. more is not a priority).

For ECM I achieved most goals - all T1, hard, no minors, no random, large, playing cardassians:
Is sometimes punishing to the point every casual player would quit, but games can keep challenging till turn 300+.
No crashes, turn & combat lag tolerable. A real smart AI would render this unplayable. :twisted:
So given the mess we had to work with I think we did good. And (modable) Supremacy with 3D combat is right around the corner. :wink:
Flocke
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by Flocke »

Spocks-cuddly-tribble wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 5:41 pm But better diplomacy, smarter AI or eliminating AI turn + combat-lags means trashing the codes, not modding them, in BotF.
It rather means trashing part of the codes and hook in some better replacements. When you know the subroutines and analysed what they do, just do it a little better. You might start a list for naming the worst subroutines to replace and what they do. The smaller the code, the less inner sub-routines called and the better it is analysed, the easier to replace ofc. ;)

UE, while being a side project, helped me here to collect alot of useful information and also test and fix messing with the save games, which by your telling match the ingame data structures. I am keen to finally build up a coding framework with all that has been found and play around with it, see what I can achieve. C# on the other hand I have programmed for too long and know on messed up huge code bases based on outdated technology. I'd love to do some fresh modern C++ coding again and also look into the Unreal engine rather than Unity if I can.
Dafedz
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by Dafedz »

Spocks-cuddly-tribble wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 5:12 pm Remember we need the updated shiplist.sst: :!:
Spocks-cuddly-tribble wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 5:11 pmEstimate about 30 minutes (conception + editing all shiplist.sst 'beam min range' values).

Hard coded default is a torpedo firing arc of 60 degree forward for all ships, stations and monster.
With patch new aft torpedo arc = (360 -'beam min range') so 'beam min range' 315 = extra 45 aft.

- ECM uses: (-> 'beam min range' value)
360 degree torpedo firing arc for strike cruiser and powerful monster (borg/edo) -> 1.0
extra 45 aft for all other cruiser -> 315.0
no extra aft for all other armed ships/monster (fast group, armed colony/TT) -> 360.0
unarmed (no beams or torpedoes) -> 0.0

The patch sets all stations to 360 degree via trek.exe (shiplist.sst ignored)
All other ships/monster aft arcs are read from shiplist.sst (360 - 'beam min range')
I think I follow. Have updated ship stats as above and uploaded here:

Shiplist.sst
Spocks-cuddly-tribble wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 5:12 pm I'd also suggest the UE auto set feature for ship specific weapon animations (we can do for you).
Yes please. That's one thing I never really touched before. I was always relatively unbothered with how they looked, even in vanilla, but accept this tweak as a visual improvement.
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

Dafedz wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 8:13 am I think I follow. Have updated ship stats as above and uploaded here:
Spocks-cuddly-tribble wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 5:12 pm I'd also suggest the UE auto set feature for ship specific weapon animations (we can do for you).
yesterday I started collecting files and adding to installer. I currently have a working installer at 1024, 1366, 1920 using files from zAbfAWJn.zip and updated shiplist.

question, while I am making GUI edits for resolutions are you interested in,

Using GameSetup TACTICAL COMBAT Button for BORG ON/OFF
viewtopic.php?p=56905#p56905

seperate load save buttons
viewtopic.php?p=57056#p57056

tonight I will work on adding patches, XY, Build queue and irreg galaxies.

note to self need to edit lexicon for irreg galaxies.

Return to “Ultimate Mod”