New!! Ultimate Unwrap 3D hob Importer

Ultimate Unwrap 3D hob Importer; discussion/questions

Moderator: thunderchero

thunderchero
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Location: On a three month training mission, in command of the USS Valiant.

New!! Ultimate Unwrap 3D hob Importer

Post by thunderchero »

Hi Everyone,

The creator of Ultimate Unwrap 3D has created a hob Importer that will now support our new models with multi textures.

Ultimate Unwrap 3D can be purchased at a reasonable price here;

http://www.unwrap3d.com

Demo available (saving not allowed)

you can find the importer on download page at bottom of page here;

Plugin "Birth of the Federation (HOB)"

http://www.unwrap3d.com/u3d/downloads.aspx

The simplest way to import model would be to use UE to create a shippack of the model you want.

next extract all files to an empty folder. this will give you most of the files you need.

next open all gif (textures) in any image editor that can convert gif to bmp or tga (Ultimate Unwrap 3D does not support gif format)

convert all gifs to bmp and save with same file name with bmp extension to the same folder as the location as other files from shippack

here is what the importer looks like
1.jpg
1.jpg (210.05 KiB) Viewed 5425 times
When model is imported it uses the texture.lst to get to proper file names. as shown in image below
2.jpg
2.jpg (404.43 KiB) Viewed 5425 times
This importer will keep the texture mapping intact. :grin: (old importer put mapping on default single texture)

after that you can save as 3ds for editing, conversion to ogre or most other formats sod, mod ect.

Note; don't get to excited conversion to ogre is not very easy, but this is a good start and will save a lot of time.
Note 2; after model is saved to 3ds you would need to use Dr_Breen tutorial to get back to hob.

thunderchero
iron420
Cadet 2nd Year
Cadet 2nd Year

Re: New!! Ultimate Unwrap 3D hob Importer

Post by iron420 »

Hey Thunderchero!

I just wanted to say, you are a legend among internet users. You, Jiggly and everyone else who works on the UDM expansions (because it really is an expansion) have the undying admiration of my friends and I, though non of us post regularly. I registered to ask this question. How do I import your UDM models for the UDM 3.01a ship pack:

https://www.armadafleetcommand.com/get- ... file_id=76

into 3DS Max? I would like to convert them into .STL files for 3D printing (which I am more than willing to share when I'm done). Will purchasing a license for the above software enable me to do that with the .HOB files in the pack? Textures are not required. Cheers!
thunderchero
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Location: On a three month training mission, in command of the USS Valiant.

Post by thunderchero »

Hi iron420,

The importer above works well but has some problems when the model has had the polygons combined (many udm ships required this)

I have no ideas on your plans here. but it might be easier to import/convert from the mpr++ version (ogre mesh) to stl format. I know nothing about stl format but I am sure you should be able to find a converter easier for that.

But this sounds like a lot of work for some personal toys.

thunderchero
iron420
Cadet 2nd Year
Cadet 2nd Year

Post by iron420 »

Thanks for the quick reply!

I'm no expert modeler (i'm a programmer by trade) but I expect that once I'm able to get the UDM models I need into 3DS Max (or milkshape) then I will be able to export to .STL without issue. All that is required is a "water tight" mesh (no holes). I'm not familiar with the implications of combined polygons though, care to explain? Where can I find the mpr++ version (ogre mesh) of the ships? Is mpr++ a file format? Sorry, this really isn't my area of expertise lol.

My goal is actually to make a board game inspired by BOTF and Axis and Allies (for my friends and internet users of course, no way I could sell the thing as I don't own the IP), not simply toys. I plan to make all the assest freely available so that people online can download and print them to play with their friends. I've got physical models of the correct size (mostly) already and my original plan was to 3D print them after scanning them with a 3D scanner but 3D scanning technology is just not where it needs to be currently. I was about to start making RTV rubber moulds of them but then I saw all the UDM models are already on this site! I've got the rules, board, etc all sorted and ready to beta test, I just need the models for the units. I'll need the following:

Breen Tykk
Dominion Starbase
Dominion Lambda
Dominion Theta
Dominion Gamma
Dominion Troop Transport
Cardassian Starbase
Cardassian Hideki
Cardassian Galor
Cardassian Keldon
Cardassian Groumall
Federation Starbase
Federation Miranda
Federation Defiant
Federation Galaxy
Federation Galaxy-X
Federation Sovereign
Federation Prometheus
Federation Ambassador
Federation Nebula
Klingon Starbase
Klingon B'rel
Klingon Vor'cha
Klingon Negh'Var
Klingon K't'inga
Romulan Starbase
Romulan Talon
Romulan Valdore
Romulan Warbird
Romulan Raptor
Ferengi D'Kora
Bajorian Raider
Maquis Raider
Borg Cube

Any help you can give me is greatly appreciated. Also, if you want to learn more about my project I could happily type about it for hours lol. Cheers!

Return to “Ultimate Unwrap 3D hob Importer”