editing english.snd?

How to edit English/German.snd sounds; support/discussion/questions

Moderator: thunderchero

jonesie85two
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

editing english.snd?

Post by jonesie85two »

hello, i have replaced most of the minor races in my game with completely new ones. This obviously means that the current minor race encounter sounds are incorrect. hearing something about the acarmarians when youve just encountered the denobulans.

I have a few questions about how to correct this issue.

1. Asuming i have the correct wav to the correct format. Can i just use UE to import/replace the original sound file?
2. What format does the file have to be? eg: IMA ADPCM, 22.050 KHz, 4bit, stereo, 21 kb/sec.
3. Ive asked the community this before but i would like to confirm it again. Can i replace an existing sound effect (10 seconds long) with a blank sound effect (1 or less seconds long)?
4. Does the replacement file have to be the exact same file size and/or time duraction?
5. Can somebody recommend a program that i can use to create a blank audio file that can convert to the correct BOTF format?

Thank you for your time.
thunderchero
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Location: On a three month training mission, in command of the USS Valiant.

Re: editing english.snd?

Post by thunderchero »

It is best to keep files about same length in time to match image timimg.

file format info;
IMA ADPCM
22.050 KHz
4bit
stereo
21 kb/sec

you can create file in any format to start with that windows "sound recorder" from XP will open. (think any format of wav)

best to use windows "sound recorder" from XP to save as the correct format.

thunderchero
jonesie85two
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by jonesie85two »

thunderchero wrote:It is best to keep files about same length in time to match image timimg.

file format info;
IMA ADPCM
22.050 KHz
4bit
stereo
21 kb/sec

you can create file in any format to start with that windows "sound recorder" from XP will open. (think any format of wav)

best to use windows "sound recorder" from XP to save as the correct format.

thunderchero
Thank you for your quick response. it is appreciated.
jonesie85two
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by jonesie85two »

I did some trial and error using win xp sound recorder. UE would not allow me to add a file with the format posted above. I made the file mono not stereo and then UE would allow me replace it into the english.snd (all other attibutes are the same). Also, If you do not have access to the winxp sound recorder you can get it here:-

http://www.2shared.com/file/kNQo-4Cp/sndrec32.html
Make sure you run it in 'win xp service pack 3' compatibility mode, Otherwise vista, 7 and 8. Im posting this just incase a n00b like me needs this info.

I am sorry if posting this link breaches forum rules.
Peelster1
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Peelster1 »

I'm working replacing the select empire audio for the Imperial and Mirror Mirror mods, as right now with the install the audio still says "The United Federation of Planets". Of course it would be much better if it says "The Terran Empire". I am currently on the final step of converting the .wav file to be imported.

So far the process I have followed has been:
1. Downloaded a source video from YouTube from which to extract the audio.
2. Placed the video clip into Windows Movie Maker and trimmed the clip for the audio section.
3. Published the video clip as .mp4
4. Used http://audio.online-convert.com/convert-to-wav to convert the .mp4 to .wav
5. Attempted to use Windows Sound Recorder to convert to the proper Bit rate.

However I notice that it's mentioned here that the proper Bit rate listed as:
IMA ADPCM 22.050 kHz 4 Bit Stereo 21 kb/sec

UE gave me a message indicating that the audio needs to be mono instead of stereo as also mentioned by jonesie85two. An error message about "one channel only" which goes away after switching from stereo to mono.

So now we have the format as needing to be:
IMA ADPCM 22.050 kHz 4 Bit Mono 21 kb/sec

However, I don't have that option in Windows Sound Recorder. The closest options that I do have are:

IMA ADPCM 22.050 kHz 4 Bit Mono 10 kb/sec
IMA ADPCM 22.050 kHz 4 Bit Stereo 21 kb/sec

With both formats UE gives me a "FACT Chunk not found" error message upon attempting to replace.

Note that IMA ADPCM 22.050 kHz 4 Bit Mono 10kb/sec seems to be the correct option as when I open up the .wav file properties it is the only format that gives me a Bit rate of 88kbps which is what the existing empire select audio files have. However it's 10kb/sec as opposed to 21 kb/sec. I don't have a combination of Mono with 21 kb/sec as an option in Windows Sound Recorder.

I'm not sure what is causing this "FACT Chunk not found" error message.
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

are you using this window recorder from sound editing pack?
sound_editing_pack

and use this setting
settings.png
settings.png (8.78 KiB) Viewed 7340 times
just tested and added with no error

IMA ADPCM 22.050 kHz 4 Bit Stereo 21 kb/sec is for race intro movies IIRC

botf uses many types on video and audio
Peelster1
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Peelster1 »

Yeah, the setting in your image is one of the settings I tried that received the "FACT Chunk not found" Error message. Maybe something is going wrong with the .mp4 to .wav conversion? Just to make sure I was using the right sound editing pack, I just deleted the one on my computer and downloaded your provided link and restarted from the point of .mp4 to .wav conversion and ended up getting the same error message from UE.
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

try to save as normal wav or mp3 first, then convert to IMA ADPCM 22.050 kHz 4 Bit Mono 10 kb/sec

I always thought mp4 was for video
Peelster1
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Peelster1 »

Yes, .mp4 is for video. I ended up having to extract the audio from a video clip. However, upon looking in Windows Movie Maker, using the audio only option I can only save as .m4a or as .wma. After attempting to publish from Windows Movie Maker as audio only and then converting to .wav using the website I previously listed and then converting to IMA ADPCM 22.050 kHz 4 Bit Mono 10 kb/sec with Windows Sound Recorder I still get the "FACT Chunk not found" error message from UE. What are you using for the initial conversion to .wav?
Last edited by Peelster1 on Wed May 18, 2016 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

try saving as mp3 with Windows Sound Recorder then convert mp3 to IMA ADPCM 22.050 kHz 4 Bit Mono 10 kb/sec
Peelster1
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Peelster1 »

Windows Sound Recorder doesn't like .mp3 as it "is not a valid WAVE sound file".
quiclee1
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Post by quiclee1 »

There are probably lots of others but if you don’t want to use a browser extension or website conversion tool, you will have to

link removed due to unsecured link

Return to “How to edit English/German.snd”