Talking to the Original Developers of BOTF

You can talk about anything. (please read forum rules before posting)

Moderator: thunderchero

JeanApple
Cadet 3rd Year
Cadet 3rd Year

Talking to the Original Developers of BOTF

Post by JeanApple »

Greetings Everyone.

My apologies for the interview being delayed. It took a long time to edit it due to a corruption in one of the audio files, so the audio isn’t 100% perfect. I also gave the developers time to listen to the episode to ensure they’re ok with the release.

Here is the interview we did with Wella Lasola & Bill Chinn, the developers behind the 1999 Star Trek game, Birth Of The Federation. We spend the episode diving back to the development days of this legendary game that stood the test of time, and discovery some interesting design decisions. We also discuss the challenges the team faced developing a Star Trek 4X Strategy game with only The Next Generation license. We round up the interview discussing the possibility of a sequel and getting the old team back together again.

If you guys are interested you can listen to it here:

https://youtu.be/4KXFYzkf5_Q

OR listen to it on your Podcast app by searching for Developer Dialogue
FIXbotfPLEASE
Cadet 3rd Year
Cadet 3rd Year

Re: Talking to the Original Developers of BOTF

Post by FIXbotfPLEASE »

GREAT but what are they doing to FIX the problems ??

PLEASE skip to section 28:46 at this point in the video you will discussions on locations of the SOURCE CODE.

Many Thanks.
Flocke
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by Flocke »

I just re-listened that whole podcast and you did a real great job on it Jean!
An absolutely great talk! And I'm specially happy to hear on their feelings they still have with this game! :D

Regarding possible fixes, it is sad they got locked out from code access when the project finished, but that is just normal for projects that work by contract. Who knows whether there is still a copy backed up by current intellectual property holders. Usually I'd expect that those publishers always keep copies on their IP, but with the unclear history of IPs being passed around, who knows...

But that's all not that much relevant to me. There is way more interesting background info and great talk in the podcast than I'd ever had expected!
Kurn
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Post by Kurn »

Thanks to Wella Lasola, Bill Chinn and JeanApple for the interview. It was interesting for me as a long time BotF fan.

At one point the annoying loading times are mentioned and the solution from Bill Chinn for the problem is unfortunately not working. It seems he even didn't understood the problem.
FIXbotfPLEASE
Cadet 3rd Year
Cadet 3rd Year

Post by FIXbotfPLEASE »

Kurn wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 10:02 pm Thanks to Wella Lasola, Bill Chinn and JeanApple for the interview. It was interesting for me as a long time BotF fan.

At one point the annoying loading times are mentioned and the solution from Bill Chinn for the problem is unfortunately not working. It seems he even didn't understood the problem.
Yes kurn you are correct. The solution suggested by bill chin to exit and reload is a solution to an older now fixed bug (memory leak)...... there is nothing in there to deal with our current issue of turn processing issue

Return to “General Chat”