What modification to BotF would you most like to see & w

You can talk about anything. (please read forum rules before posting)

Moderator: thunderchero

KrazeeXXL
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by KrazeeXXL »

We seen it in DS9. The Maquis stole some mass replicators which were intended for Cardassia. Later, Cardassia also made a gift of 15 industrial replicators to the Bajorans. So it is obvious what I would like to have in BotF...

Build Replicators in one system and be able to send them to another system or even a friend/ally.

The same goes for technologies like f.e. cloaking devices. Would be damn cool to give an ally some thousand RP to complete his/her research in tech xyz.

Another tech also could be "cloaking devices". could be one of the weapon techs.
So imo it isn't correct that the feds, the ferg and the card should not be able to cloak their ships, too.

They all could steal this tech via intel, invent or even buy it. In the timeline we know from the shows it's just a matter of diplomacy/intelligence - and every BotF game actually means a different timeline (at least for me).
Tethys
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by Tethys »

I think its been mentioned before, but cloaking starbase would be awesome, especially for mods with a lot of cloaked races, such as Suliban, Romulans, Klingons etc...
Not for the weak of heart...
Galaxies MOD v0.4.0 <--- GALM/Galaxies Mod latest version
Silverbreaker
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Post by Silverbreaker »

Code: Select all

What modification to BotF would you most like to see & why?
a patch to the memory leak problem. This game is over 10 years old and no one (besides microprose) really try to solve this problem!

why is it impossible to solve it?
DCER
Code Master
Code Master

Post by DCER »

It's not a memory leak, it's the AI deploying their fleets ship by ship each turn. Destroy their fleets and it'll speed things up.
Elras
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Post by Elras »

Is there any way a label or sign could be stuck on the map view to show if
a system is sitting idle?

I know there are messages in the Summary View for this but having a little marker on a system in the map view would be much much better.

Obviously I have no idea what coding issues this would involve :)
Peter1981
Rear-Admiral
Rear-Admiral

Post by Peter1981 »

To view idle system all you need to do is:-

1. On main galaxy screen (F1) select the 'OVERVIEW' tab at the bottom left of the map.
2. A list of highlighted and un-highlighted option appears.

Code: Select all

SYSTEM NAMES
RANGE
SHIP PATHS
DEFENSE
TERIRTORY
TRADE ROUTES
BUILD TASKS
POPULATION
SYSTEM BONUS
click 'BUILD TASKS' to highlight this option.

3. close the options list by clicking again on the 'OVERVIEW' tab. The map should now display next to each star system the systems current build project. i.e.'Type XI Mass Replicators'

4. Any system displaying 'Trade Goods' is idle and may need some attention.

Hope this Helps.
Elras
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Post by Elras »

3. close the options list by clicking again on the 'OVERVIEW' tab. The map should now display next to each star system the systems current build project. i.e.'Type XI Mass Replicators'

4. Any system displaying 'Trade Goods' is idle and may need some attention.
8O

Awesome! :)

Perhaps I should read the manual?

Cheers anyway
Callahan
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Post by Callahan »

What I would like to see is having food production used on the empire level. I think it is quite stupid to have millions starve while there is a system with overproduction just the next sector.

Think it will be difficult to be added though.

Next, make ships regain some shield power even when they are down at the end of the turn.

Use up all involved transports on invasion.
I do not like the current way of being overrun by the enemy as he only has to build 1 new TRN after capturing even a strong system.
Using em up all would make it more difficult to decide on how many to be used, and would slow down any war as one will have to build more TRNs in order to proceed.

So this is what would make me happy.
Join the klingon empire at www.goldentowns.com/?i=352931
Become an affiliate of Kahless himself and play for free to earn real money!

You will be protected and advised by the chancellor himself.
Long live the empire!
Q'pla!
eber3
Captain
Captain

Post by eber3 »

Callahan wrote:What I would like to see is having food production used on the empire level. I think it is quite stupid to have millions starve while there is a system with overproduction just the next sector.
That would be nice. It would make it possible to take systems with great food bonuses, but little else going for them, and turn them all into farm planets. While at the same time making systems with high populations and energy etc bonuses all into manufacturing and/or research etc without having to spend some population on food production.
Dr_Breen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Dr_Breen »

i did not read trough the whole topic, but if it was not yet mentioned i would like not being forced to upgrade from type 1 to type 9 when i make a new colony and the rest of my empire is already on tech 9
Public BotF / EF2 Teamspeak 3 Server: 83.169.13.55
Peter1981
Rear-Admiral
Rear-Admiral

Post by Peter1981 »

Dr_Breen -- you mean make type 2 colony ships deploy type 5 farm ect? good idea.
Dr_Breen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Dr_Breen »

Peter1981 wrote:Dr_Breen -- you mean make type 2 colony ships deploy type 5 farm ect? good idea.
yes, together with the abillity to build type 9 intel centers (which are not deployed by the colony ships) when my empire has reached type 9 tech level.
Public BotF / EF2 Teamspeak 3 Server: 83.169.13.55
KrazeeXXL
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by KrazeeXXL »

Nice idea Dr_Breen :)

that'd speed things up a lot and also erase "some" of the boredom outta the game.

I'd like to see an at least simple damage model. It's a bit unrealistic that ships with 10% hull left - sticked together by some good will and bubblegum - are able to fly at the same speed, fire phasers/photon torpedoes - shortly: they have exactly the same values as on 100% operating efficiency.

With every turn something should be repaired - it could happen randomly. F.e. phasers, torps or hull (one of the 3) + shields (repaired in every turn)

ok guess it's more for "BotF 2" again but it doesn't change the fact I'd like to see it in our fav game...

edit: hm... just had an idea about the damage model. on f.e. 80% hull the ship's overall values could drop down 20%. So when the ship has 80% hull it's phaser and torpedo strength, speed, etc. could also be just on 80%.
Callahan
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Post by Callahan »

2 more things I´d like to see.

Make the "buy" option produce the item instantly.
So one can upgrade young colonies within 1 turn or buy several structures at once.

Just had an earthquake in a big system and had to rebuild it by 1 structure a turn. That is very time intense micro management.

Secondly, enable terraforming already terraformed planets to become another type of world.
With proper techlevel one would be able to convert those more useless planets to other types.
Join the klingon empire at www.goldentowns.com/?i=352931
Become an affiliate of Kahless himself and play for free to earn real money!

You will be protected and advised by the chancellor himself.
Long live the empire!
Q'pla!
marhawkman
Commander
Commander

Post by marhawkman »

It's more of a UE thing, but a racial randomizer would be a fun feature. It'd at least simulate having more than 5 main races.

Return to “General Chat”