What modification to BotF would you most like to see & w

You can talk about anything. (please read forum rules before posting)

Moderator: thunderchero

Spocks-cuddly-tribble
Code Master
Code Master

Post by Spocks-cuddly-tribble »

I had a glance through the whole wishes.

Done requests:

- Map range bonuses for more tech level (Peter1981)
- Planetary assault troop transport suggestion (Callahan)
- Stolen ships - crew experience bug-fix (eber3 in "What would you like to see in combat if it was possible?")

Hereinafter I'll stick with commenting on suggestions which could be a realistic project w.r.t. the given knowledge & time exposure.

KrazeeXXL wrote:then the random events:
asteroid impacts f.e.: y having a shield generator on each planet when it isn't of any use in this case?

also ships oribiting systems could reduce the chance of random events from happening. (the unused class of special ships f.e.)
they could help vaporizing asteroids, stabilize suns, help stabilizing the core of planets to reduce the impact of earth quakes or earth quakes in general.

So I mean a special ship in orbit should reduce the chance that something bad happens on some %. If you got the Enterprise then the chance that nothing happens should be indeed much higher :lol:

Tethys wrote:As far as for BotF goes tho, not sure how possible this would be, I know would definitely not be easy.
Seconded :/ But even some small steps not the realization of all and everything could mean a big improvement to the game :)
There is some broken/unfinished code for system-based random events. If we're lucky that's sufficient to obtain some simple bonus features like the following examples:

-> prevent specific events if a counter building present on system (checked via ID or output ID)

This can be coupled to given buildings or newly created special buildings with only this purpose (if there are no issues with adding new building output types? we just need them for the ingame description of what the buildings are good for).

In order to prevent a confusing/overspammed build list, we can prefix those new buildings (which will be present regardless of random events on/off) with e.g. X- so that they stay at the bottom of the list due to alphabetic sorting.

Needless to say the new buildings should be only for players (in aibldreq.bin disabled or no entry), with the system events disabled for AI.

Probably unrealistic:

- an energy check (unless for special building with prepared code sequences that we know and can call, e.g. OBs, shield generator, scanners)

- just lowering the event probability if building present

- checks for ships in sector

-> prevent specific events if an empire reaches a tech level (e.g. energy tech 6)

-> e.g. for supernova add a free colony ship (regardless of shipyard) to sector and change event message "some inhabitants emergency evacuated...".

Plus a further decrease of supernova frequency, if possible.

-> prevent climate shifts for systems with Gas Giants (more system stability/safeness vs. less max. population)

-> prevent rebellions(not to 100%, just skip main code) during unrest orders (e.g. martial law)

Remember starting delay in turns & overall frequency of system events can be handled directly via the difficulty level.

More suggestions are welcome. But it has to be a realistic project and we are very limited. So keep it simple. :)
I don't know how many bugs is too many but that point is reached somewhere before however many in BotF is.
jimp
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Re: What modification to BotF would you most like to see & w

Post by jimp »

Get this game to work in 16:9 aspect ratio for lap tops.
thunderchero
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Location: On a three month training mission, in command of the USS Valiant.

Post by thunderchero »

jimp wrote:Get this game to work in 16:9 aspect ratio for lap tops.
most laptop expand game to full screen, but this is just a stretched version. The new 1024 project would allow 16:9 version but all new GUI would need to be created so it would not be stretched.

thunderchero
AlexMcpherson79
Commander
Commander

Post by AlexMcpherson79 »

Off the top of my head:

Vanilla 'Fix' Mods:

No Memory Leak mod.
Run on Win7/8 mod.

Preset Galaxies instead of randomly generated.

Vanilla + Mods: Change the game without, you know, really changing the game.
Multi-Res mod - Allows multiple resolution with window/fullscreen. (Aka windows 1024x768 for testing some stuff, but fullscreen 1920x1080 for proper gaming) set ingame.
Larger Task Forces
Extended Build Queues, maybe with multi-build single turn (whatever you want to call it, that nice one from Supremacy)

++ Mods:

More ship commands. "Capture" etcetera.
Diplomacy-dependant Abilities/Tech. Aka Feds can develop/use cloak only when diplomatic state with Romulans is War/Neutral/Alliance. Cannot use cloak (even on ships built with cloak) when state set to Non-Aggression. Can use cloak on ships already built with at friendly, but cloak disabled on later ships of same type.

Tech/Generation dependant expansion abilities: Tech 1/2: Earth only colony. Colony ship I unable to terraform. Jungle/Ocean colonisable.

Minor colony/Major Colony. Minors can become Major only on Terran/Jungle/Oceanic.
Not to be confused with Member races. Member races are all Major Colonies.

Museums.

larger Outpost to Starbase upgrade paths.

Aka...
Level 1: the Hub. Does not extend Ship range? Mostly defensive. imagined use: Observing deeper reaches of other empires' territory.
Level 2: Hub plus those... tank things. Extends ship range. (Partial?)
Level 3: now with OFFICES! sorry. Extends ship range, limited ship regeneration.
Level 4: the larger office complex version seen in TMP. would be higher ship regeneration. possibly small crew train?/other stat?

then of course:

Starbase
Level 1: large 'Shaft'. upper docking area. Extends ship range/increased ship regeneration.
Level 2: Add mushroom to dock area aka turning it into a hanger. further increase in ship regeneration.
Level 3: shipyard capability? Counts as Colony?

of course, this means that from nothing, a Level 3 starbase would use up 7 TT's. which would mean: Better defend your territory versus expand your territory.

More shipranges.

1: Own Territory ship range. Supported by 'down to' level 1 outposts.
2: 'Short', only a sector or three from local territory. supported by 'down to' level 2 outposts.
3: 'Medium', two to four sectors from local territory. supported by level 3 outposts.
4: Extended, three to six, level 4.
5: Long, four to eight, starbases.
6: Unlimited, ... , ...

Basically, the '6' would be the Voyagers, able to, well, explore remote reaches of the galaxy if it happens to enter a wormhole.
all exploration-style ships regardless of era would be unlimited range, but era would count obviously indicate strength, and for the most part independant repair capacity. (aka NX: none) (this would also add to the use of random indpendant shipyards/outposts, and what their use does to the ships. Aka repair, or destroy? random-event kinda)
5 would be 'we do explore, but not far.'. 4 would be the 'we do combat, but not far'.

3 is the border patrol.

2 is non-combat past say, TOS era.

1 is the non-combat pre-TOS, with the only method of extending range being building an outpost within territory. colonize only systems in territory (and that colonization/outpost then extending said territory. so adjacent only expansion)

Just some thoughts for mods.
AlexMcpherson79
Commander
Commander

Re:

Callahan wrote:What I would like to see is having food production used on the empire level. I think it is quite stupid to have millions starve while there is a system with overproduction just the next sector.

Think it will be difficult to be added though.

<snip>

So this is what would make me happy.
Can I just say,... ^^ This would be good.

although....

Empire Food Production Zoning.
say I had a group of 5 systems, aka each is no further than 2 sectors away from the next.. Sectors 1.1, 3.4 or whatever, basically spread out a little but still clumped together. Now, I've got a lone planet about 7 sectors from the nearest neigbour.

Food in the clump would be shared, but food in that lone one wouldn't unless/until a system adjacent by 2 sectors at minimum 'joins' it to the rest of the zone. Daisy chaining the zones would also allow one planet at the end to support all within the chain, but this would incur lower credit income/more chance of 'food shortage in system babla'.
AlexMcpherson79
Commander
Commander

Re:

Spocks-cuddly-tribble wrote:I had a glance through the whole wishes.

Done requests:

- Map range bonuses for more tech level (Peter1981)

<snip>

More suggestions are welcome. But it has to be a realistic project and we are very limited. So keep it simple. :)
I think Peter was talking about more than 3 Map range options.

Aka say.... Short, Medium, Long, Extended?

So exploration ships would get the extended map range.

Return to “General Chat”