Oct 2011 newsletter

You can talk about anything. (please read forum rules before posting)

Moderator: thunderchero

thunderchero
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Location: On a three month training mission, in command of the USS Valiant.

Oct 2011 newsletter

Post by thunderchero »

Hi Everyone,

Anjel has been working on the BOTF armada fleet command newsletter, Some of you may have recived it but if not here it is.

I hope before the next newsletter we will have all the kinks worked out.

thunderchero

Flocke
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Re: Oct 2011 newsletter

Post by Flocke »

Nice one, got it a second time today (for whatever reason) :lol:
Of course it showed up empty again till I enabled full html and external content in Thunderbird (I better don't start a talk on security here, just make it work without next time plz).
Cause I didn't know till anjel told me, I want to note, it's also to be found here: viewtopic.php?name=HTML_Newsletter

To the newsletter itself, I find it a really great idea and it looks and reads very well.
Can't tell it a news for me anymore but I'm already eager to receive the november newsletter! :D
And a nice appeal ruthlessferengi!
carcher
Commander
Commander

Post by carcher »

I haven't got mine yet but no prob.great work Anjel, beautifully done,as Flocke say's, I'm already looking forward to the next one,you summed up everything perfectly and it looks great.
for the world is hollow and i have touched the sky....and one day mickar.....one day.....one sweet day......HAS ARRIVED!! HAPPY DAYS :D
Tethys
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by Tethys »

I received my newsletter via email. Also carcher please make sure that you have newsletters enabled in your profile, mine was not (I always disable mine on forums because I hate spam mail, sorry Anjel :P). Im going to keep it enabled if you promise not to spam it ;)
Not for the weak of heart...
Galaxies MOD v0.4.0 <--- GALM/Galaxies Mod latest version
thunderchero
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Location: On a three month training mission, in command of the USS Valiant.

Post by thunderchero »

The current problem has nothing to do with if newletter is enabled or not. right now there are many members that either used a false e-mail address or an invalid e-mail address. and once it encounters this the proccess stops sending.

thunderchero
Tethys
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by Tethys »

Ooooh, ok then lol. :mrgreen:
Not for the weak of heart...
Galaxies MOD v0.4.0 <--- GALM/Galaxies Mod latest version
Dr_Breen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Dr_Breen »

i feel with RF and i will take some time in order to play some MP even tough i may get ripped apart :-)

I'm one of those guys who edit and modify a lot but hardly never finish a game (be it MP or SP) and i think most of the coders /modders in here are. am i right?
Public BotF / EF2 Teamspeak 3 Server: 83.169.13.55
Flocke
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by Flocke »

Dr_Breen wrote:I'm one of those guys who edit and modify a lot but hardly never finish a game (be it MP or SP) and i think most of the coders /modders in here are. am i right?
true :lol:
anjel
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by anjel »

Dr_Breen wrote:i feel with RF and i will take some time in order to play some MP even tough i may get ripped apart :-)

I'm one of those guys who edit and modify a lot but hardly never finish a game (be it MP or SP) and i think most of the coders /modders in here are. am i right?
yep, that´s true 8O
xDx
Commander
Commander

Post by xDx »

Dr. Breen wrote:
i feel with RF and i will take some time in order to play some MP even tough i may get ripped apart :-)

True and false IMO. Sometimes I will be in a gaming mode and just do that for several days straight. As of late; however, not too many people around to play when I'm available so I continue with my mod.
KrazeeXXL
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by KrazeeXXL »

nice work anjel :)

had already posted an answer the day the newsletter came out but deleted it for some reason. Wanted something to add but can't remember what exactly.

Well... for one I didn't receive the newsletter at all again.

Something's wrong here and if you want to do send out newsletters on a regular monthly basis, someone should look into that matter.

For RF's desperate cry to humanize BotF ;) just kidding. Am in wz, ports opened, using my old Speedbox -> ready to assimilate some poor souls :P
Flocke
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by Flocke »

KrazeeXXL wrote:Well... for one I didn't receive the newsletter at all again.

Something's wrong here and if you want to do send out newsletters on a regular monthly basis, someone should look into that matter.
Yes that's true, already had some talk and analysis with thunderchero on this, waiting on response from afc but maybe we just try an own fix.
As far it seems just around the 100 first registered members on here got the newsletter.
That might be for two reasons, first the server very probably has a mail per hour limit that got exceeded, second there's a php script execution limit that highly probably would get exceeded if first wouldn't already apply.
Currently simply the php's mail() function get's looped opening and closing smtp eeach mail and no pause, that's an awful newsletter send algorithm.

Right way to do it would be to save the mail tasks to the database and run a script via cron job (or repeated call) only sending a few mails each time (and better using a mail library than php's mail()) to take care of the limits.
There are also phpnuke/ravennuke updates and modules available that might help but probably require fixing as well.

As far I've read somewhere afc could also ask hostmonster to increase mail limit to at least 500/hour but dunno if that's true. Would also be good to know exact limit currently set. :roll:

Return to “General Chat”