STO Free to Play :D

You can talk about anything. (please read forum rules before posting)

Moderator: thunderchero

ZeroChance
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Re: STO Free to Play :D

Post by ZeroChance »

I really shouldn't have been surprised. Just enough to allow to you explore and customize your ship a bit, rise in rank, etc. But not enough to actually compete without spending some money. Fun for shits and giggles atm anyhow...
KrazeeXXL
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by KrazeeXXL »

^^ thx for the info ZeroChance

was about to check it out but then I took an arrow to the knee
xDx
Commander
Commander

Post by xDx »

If you haven't installed the game yet don't bother you are not missing much. The game was a huge disappointment for me after waiting all this time for it. No wonder they made it free to play. Sorry to everyone who plays this game but as for me, I will pass.
"The only thing we have to fear is fear itself." -- FDR
Dr_Breen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Dr_Breen »

Havent joined yet as well. But will soon. Just started the download

BTW don't forget to chat via Teamspeak, link below
Public BotF / EF2 Teamspeak 3 Server: 83.169.13.55
Tethys
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by Tethys »

It is not all that bad, I dont like the combat because you cant fly like in Bridge Commander (2nd best trek game of all time, tbh)... its more SFCIII mixed with Legacy... (shudder)
Not for the weak of heart...
Galaxies MOD v0.4.0 <--- GALM/Galaxies Mod latest version
Gul_Darheel
Cadet 2nd Year
Cadet 2nd Year

Post by Gul_Darheel »

KrazeeXXL wrote:ok so we have:

MrD as MrTea: USS Blackbeard
Tethys as Mr4GB: USS Lazytown
xDx as Megaman: USS Mouse
Myself as KrazeeXXL: USS Trolololo

sounds like a lot of fun to me

:mrgreen:
Gul Darheel aka valdore on the USS Chuck Norris signing in! lets keep the list going :D
Martok
Rear-Admiral
Rear-Admiral

Post by Martok »

I've downloaded & installed the game, but haven't actually played it yet. Have only tinkered around with character creation so far. Any suggestions/recommendations?
"Evil is easy, and has infinite forms." -- Pascal
MrD
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by MrD »

Tethys wrote:It is not all that bad, I dont like the combat because you cant fly like in Bridge Commander (2nd best trek game of all time, tbh)... its more SFCIII mixed with Legacy... (shudder)
On the bright side the camera is not as incredibly dumb as it was in standard Legacy, but the AI tends to crash their ships into asteroids.
MrD
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by MrD »

Martok wrote:I've downloaded & installed the game, but haven't actually played it yet. Have only tinkered around with character creation so far. Any suggestions/recommendations?
Since I have no clue what you know about this game and what you don't I could rant for hours and probably miss what you would have found really insightful so I'll try to keep it short. :)
My first char on both sides (SF&KDF) was an engineer, they are the most durable.
In this game your Bridge Officers are "containers" for your abilities in space, for example a tactical BO will be a ble to "buff" you torpedo launcher so it can fire several torps at once at an enemy ship, using the "Torpedo: High Yield" ability.
However the captain him/herself also has several abilities and in space the engineer brings those that provide the highest amount of repair so you can survive "mistakes" you might end up making.

"The Academy" (not to be confused with the one ingame) has some extensive guides on various stuff and is also kept up to date for the most part:
http://forums.startrekonline.com/forumdisplay.php?f=127

Within the Academy itself, take a look at Blackavaar's uniform guide before you start with your character creation,
it might prove to have some inspiration.
http://forums.startrekonline.com/showth ... p?t=151369
but please keep in mind when you look at it that as free players your uniform options will be limited to those
listed in the 25th century section. The "Veteran" parts in that section are only available to those who've been
subscribed for several 100 days (part of Cryptic's "Veteran Reward" concept).

For a complete list of all the ships ingame (both free and for RL money) keep an eye on this thread:
http://forums.startrekonline.com/showth ... p?t=172816
Dr_Breen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Dr_Breen »

i have an issue downloading the game. the downloader starts and starts downloading with like 900 KB/s then after a few seconds drops to 0.4 KB/s or not downloading at all. anyone else having this problem? 900 KB/S is no problem, when bittorrent is running i can download with 4 MB/S, at night even more.
xDx
Commander
Commander

Post by xDx »

Dr_Breen wrote:
i have an issue downloading the game. the downloader starts and starts downloading with like 900 KB/s then after a few seconds drops to 0.4 KB/s or not downloading at all. anyone else having this problem? 900 KB/S is no problem, when bittorrent is running i can download with 4 MB/S, at night even more.
I would imagine its the high flow of traffic of people downloading the game from the downloader exe on the site. Try downloading the torrent (the link is earlier in this thread from tethys) its an older version but can be patched easy once the game is installed. Hope it helps you :)
"The only thing we have to fear is fear itself." -- FDR
Flocke
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by Flocke »

downloaded it yesterday evening/night, began fast with 600KB/s, soon dropped to around 200KB/s, sometimes even slower, but went fine.
last time I had a look at this game was during beta phase together with KrazeeXXL, and we didn't have one good battle before it closed! :lol:
I don't expect much of this game so maybe a good condition to enjoy it a bit.
Not have logged on yet, maybe later today or on weekend.
KrazeeXXL
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by KrazeeXXL »

xDx wrote:If you haven't installed the game yet don't bother you are not missing much. The game was a huge disappointment for me after waiting all this time for it. No wonder they made it free to play. Sorry to everyone who plays this game but as for me, I will pass.
I soo know what you mean. Inb4 the same last year.

That's somehow the main reason I haven't tried it out yet again. And bc I'm still so addicted to Skyrim atm... ;)
Flocke wrote:downloaded it yesterday evening/night, began fast with 600KB/s, soon dropped to around 200KB/s, sometimes even slower, but went fine.
server tend to get slower when more ppl download stuff from 'em. ;)
So, in an act of wise forethought I downloaded the game 3 days or so ago @ full-speed :P
Flocke wrote: last time I had a look at this game was during beta phase together with KrazeeXXL, and we didn't have one good battle before it closed! :lol:
Your con officer was drunk! And I should've named my ship USS Tsiolkovsky :lol: xDDD
Flocke wrote: I don't expect much of this game so maybe a good condition to enjoy it a bit.
Not have logged on yet, maybe later today or on weekend.
I agree: hive logic. ;) Perhaps we'll get the meeting done this time eventually ;)
Dr_Breen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Dr_Breen »

KrazeeXXL wrote: And bc I'm still so addicted to Skyrim atm... ;)
love BC as well. esp since you can easily modify everything in it. Python is one of the languages than can easily be dompiled so you can mess up the whole skirmish. i like cutting borg cubes in half with my uber phaser

perhaps we should organize a nice afc BC evening where we blow each others saucer sections away.
Dr_Breen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Dr_Breen »

hey how can i open the .hogg archives? i guess there's some nice texures in there

edit:
nevermind. got everything extracted. textures, sounds, scripts....perhaps there's a way to convert the 3d models from STO into the orge format

BTW im in now too. veeery complicate item / goodies system....didn't read a thing.

Ship: USS TigerDuck
Character: Tavion (was playing JK3 before)

Return to “General Chat”