Happy First Contact Day!

You can talk about anything. (please read forum rules before posting)

Moderator: thunderchero

teukros
Cadet 2nd Year
Cadet 2nd Year

Happy First Contact Day!

Post by teukros »

So how's everybody celebrating First Contact Day? :)

My wife and I are making cheese pierogies (of course) using the Pittsburgh Pierogies recipe. Sour cream dough and cheddar cheese filling. Yum!

I am also preparing my own version of plomeek soup. A simple leek soup recipe using a rich and satisfying roasted vegetable stock, with scallions added at the end. Just a hint of spice from fresh ginger root and a few pepper flakes.
Martok
Rear-Admiral
Rear-Admiral

Re: Happy First Contact Day!

Post by Martok »

Heh. Nice catch, teukros! I hadn't even thought about the date until you pointed it out. Happy First Contact Day, all!
"Evil is easy, and has infinite forms." -- Pascal
anjel
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by anjel »

neither did i, lol
Happy first contact day !!!
Hope that enjoying these symbolic day, mankind can learn that hoping the best and waiting for it it´s, always thinking in the future, it´s a nice idea, but more important it´s building each and every day so that when that day come, we would and will be prepared for such an important event :mrgreen:
pauluk
Cadet 4th Year
Cadet 4th Year

Post by pauluk »

im celebrating with popcorn coated in honey with a pinch of salt :)
eber3
Captain
Captain

Post by eber3 »

Mmmm, those pierogies sound delicious!
teukros
Cadet 2nd Year
Cadet 2nd Year

Post by teukros »

Oh my those pierogies were good. :D I haven't had pierogies like that since I lived in Michigan more than 20 years ago. Dr. Cochrane would have approved.

(Just listening to Magic Carpet Ride by Steppenwolf right now 8) )

The Plomeek soup turned out better than I expected. Just a simple leek soup recipe where I used some leftover roast vegetable stock which is actually rather sweet (caramelized onions, parsnips, turnips, carrots, along with celery, garlic, and mushroom stems). I made a tea of fresh ginger and pepper flakes and had it on the side in a small bowl (I wasn't sure how it would taste with ginger and pepper flakes and didn't want to ruin it. Better to add a little at a time, to taste). It worked! With just a couple of teaspoons of the ginger and pepper flake tea added to my soup bowl, somehow the sweetness was cut and the soup tasted much better, with just a gentle hint of spice. My wife and I both thought it was delicious.

Unfortunately she has never had midwestern pierogies before and didn't know what to think of them. :roll:

Return to “General Chat”