UDM 3 crash on greent stars

You can talk about anything. (please read forum rules before posting)

Moderator: thunderchero

thunderchero
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Location: On a three month training mission, in command of the USS Valiant.

Re: UDM 3 crash on greent stars

Post by thunderchero »

Peelster1 wrote:What about with two separate trek.exe?
the trek.exe is what request info from registry. and if both call same registry it will use only that install location. this is bad, very bad.
Peelster1 wrote:Dominion Wars required to manually replace the one in the UDML folder.
correct and should only be used when you have UDM3.0.0 only (no other versions installed using same registry)
Peelster1 wrote:I'm fairly certain it has something to do with the star files themselves.
this is possible but from what you describe this is system related, since no other user has reported this issue on version 3.0.1ddb that has been out for over a year

I wish you luck with your issue, But I do not see me being able to help you with this issue.
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

you know how long it has been since I loaded those Dominion Wars save?

but just realized that this statement is your problem.
Peelster1 wrote:....trek.exe? Dominion Wars required to manually replace the one in the UDML folder.
if you are using Dominion_Wars_V1.rar these are the very first release and only supported by version 3.0.0 (I no longer have this version)

I suggested using version UDM 3.0.1d when the Dominion Wars saves came pre-installed when installing version 3.0.1d.
those save need no editing/replacement of trek.exe or stbof.res with UE
just copy the save you want to use to install path from "Dominion Wars scenario saves" folder in UDML folder
these saves will only work on un-edited UDML 3.0.1d and no other version of UDM should be installed at the same time.
Peelster1
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Peelster1 »

Yeah, I realize Dominion Wars is around 7 years old. I still want to get it running. A canon map has always been something I've wanted since I've heard about BotF.

I guess I got confused about which version to use for Dominion Wars because when I was asking about it a while back you provided an install of 3.0.1ddb, as well as 3.0.1d, (at the time 3.0.1dc was the current version on the download page). I'm not sure if I was using Dominion_Wars_V1.rar or not (I think I was though.) as I renamed the .rar file. However, the modified date is May of 2009 and I didn't install it until 2014.

The strange thing is, even when I've completely uninstalled UDM and reinstalled without adding any other files, I still get the star issue with UDM 3 and every other mod that uses those star textures.

I had uninstalled 3.0.1.ddb and installed 3.0.1d with the Dominion Wars saves. Everything seems to work except the Dominion save file will not load and regardless of if I'm playing using the save, not using the save, or using the large galaxy version or the regular version, still whenever I click on a red flare or red giant, crash to desktop.

Now, I've uninstalled 3.0.1d and installed 3.0.1c with the Dominion Wars saves. The crash to desktop does not happen with 3.0.1c because it uses the vanilla star textures. Also, I can get all save files to load including the Dominion save file. Could you link me to info regarding updates since 3.0.1c? I'm wondering if there are any bugs I need to look out for.

I am still looking for a fix for the red flare and red giant crash to desktop however. I'm interested in testing out the Ferengi-Dominion mod and it uses these same star textures which (as far as I can tell) are causing the crash. As well as if I ever want to play UDM 3.0.1dbb without any edits, I will need a fix. So far, the only things I can think of is to either, replace the star files or adjust the galaxy generation files so that sectors with those stars don't generate on map creation. Do you have any other ideas? I'd rather not adjust the mod, if I can help it.
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

I have already tested on both my systems, with AMD Radeon and nvidia video cards without error selecting flare star or red giant, (install does not have red flare on version 3.0.1c or d) note: version 3.0.1c still uses original star/planet animations.

your system info might be helpful?

But I still think it is a corrupt install and you need to do a complete uninstall/reinstall of BOTF

1. backup any personal mod files you might want to save for later in different location (My documents)
2. uninstall every mod listed in start menu/programs/Microprose (uninstall Birth of the federation last)
3. go to install location default C:\botf if present delete botf folder.
4. next is the one I hate to suggest but in this case it might be most of your problem. open regedit.exe and check if any old registry entries are still present at

32 bit systems
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microprose
and
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\DirectPlay\Applications

64 bit system
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Microprose
and
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Microsoft\DirectPlay\Applications

these registries locations should be empty if everything has been uninstalled properly
if they are not empty and you feel comfortable doing so, delete unused entries.

5. reinstall main multi installer first
6. install UDM 3.0.1c and test star problem
Peelster1 wrote:Everything seems to work except the Dominion save file will not load
it crashes when loading save or you do not see saves in saved game list?
Peelster1
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Peelster1 »

System Info
Dell Inspiron 17 5000 Series Inspiron 5748

Windows 8.1

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-4030U CPU @ 1.90 GHz
Installed memory (RAM): 4.00 GB
System type: 64-bit Operating System, x64-based processor

Adapter Type:
Chip Type: Intel(R) HD Graphics Family
DAC Type: Internal
Adapter String: Intel(R) HD Graphics 4400
Bios Information: Intel Video BIOS

In addition, the files I am using the stabilize BotF and all mods are the dgVoodoo2 files.

3.0.1d is the version in which the Dominion save doesn't load, all saves are visible, however upload loading the Dominion save crashes to desktop. (During the load the game crashes before seeing the galactic map screen. 3.0.1d, 3.0.1dc and 3.0.1ddb as well as the Ferengi-Dominion Alliance mod are the versions in which Red Flare and Red Giant sectors crash the game upon clicking on them.

For Dominion Wars 3.0.1c never had issues from the first time I tested it, and still doesn't as far as I can tell so far. In 3.0.1c all saves load properly and Red Giant sectors do not crash. I can only guess that this is due to 3.0.1c using the vanilla star and planet animation. I'm perfectly fine with using 3.0.1c to play Dominion Wars as long as there aren't any gamebreaking bugs to worry about, or if there are, if there are ways to avoid them. At this point I'm more curious as to why the upgraded star animation crash the game.

I'll have to work on a complete uninstall when I have a bit more time, but I did want to give you a timely reply. Thanks for the help so far. Right now I'm thinking if 3.0.1c is perfectly okay for a full game of Dominion Wars then I won't bother with the Ferengi-Dominion Alliance mod for now, it's the only other mod that I have that uses those star graphics.
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

Peelster1 wrote:System Info
only thing I see in system info is "Chip Type: Intel(R) HD Graphics Family" when you originally installed main multi installer did you install "software" or "direct3d" option? hades/direct3d has been causing strange combat crashes it might also be causing this issue with stars?
Peelster1 wrote:In addition, the files I am using the stabilize BotF and all mods are the dgVoodoo2 files.
any reason why you do not use DxWnd? it is so much better.

btw the dgVoodoo2 files have been reported of being flagged and quarantined by some antivirus software (more than likely a faults positive) but this is not first time they have been flagged.
Peelster1 wrote: then I won't bother with the Ferengi-Dominion Alliance mod for now,

just to be clear the Mentat's Dominion Wars save will never work on Ferengi-Dominion Alliance mod.

also even the slightest change to UDM 3.0.1c will corrupt the saved game. even just changing a single ship stat or adding a ship and save will develop an errors quickly.

so it does not surprise me that version 3.0.1d is failing since planets and sun animations were added on that version. I will remove link from other Mentat's Dominion Wars posts.
Peelster1
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Peelster1 »

I've installed software, I've never installed hades.

I haven't been using DxWnd simply because dgVoodoo2 was the first thing I tried that worked. Even then, tactical combat is still somewhat laggy on certain mods with it, I'll have to give DxWnd a shot.

I wasn't referring to the Dominion Wars saves when I was talking about the Ferengi-Dominion Alliance mod, I was talking about the planets and sun animations. It uses the same animations as UDM 3.0.1d. Doesn't UDM 3.0.1ddb use the same animations as UDM 3.0.1d? I have the same crash problems with the Red Giants and Red Flares on 3.0.1ddb as well as UDM 3.0.1d and the Ferengi-Dominion Alliance mod. I believe it has nothing to do with the Dominion War saves as I experience the crashes in new games as well.

Return to “General Chat”