BotF Pbem possible?

You can talk about anything. (please read forum rules before posting)

Moderator: thunderchero

Dewbacca
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

BotF Pbem possible?

Post by Dewbacca »

Play by Email... I've used this function in other turn based games and love it, fits into just about ANYONE'S schedule... so...

Can it be done maybe via a mod or something? This is akin to the "Hotseat" conversation I saw in a thread... viewtopic.php?f=20&t=2332&p=33175&hilit ... f5e#p33175

I'm pretty sure the main difficulty lies in the ship v ship combat resolution... but anyway, I just thought of it and thought I'd toss it out for the higher IQ's to ponder.
Flocke
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Re: BotF Pbem possible?

Post by Flocke »

let me quote from chat:
Flocke: well, with two botf instances running you can make your moves and send the save, the other could load it, make his moves too and send back
05/18/2013 01:30:13 pm
Flocke: you both would need to run two instances for that and would see your opponents map and movements though
05/18/2013 01:31:06 pm
Flocke: I'd rather set a time and play together
05/18/2013 01:32:11 pm
for combat either use auto combat or when you trust your opponent let him do both of your movements by instruction, it needs to be calculated on one system, same for the turns

there's no easy way to implement something better for this :neutral:
ruthlessferengi
Multiple Tournament Champion

Post by ruthlessferengi »

mpr i think makes hotseat possible if you have one computer and two humans... just run two instances of botf and it runs great. email? no:) why not face to face?
Relevance is a post hoc phenomenon

На безптичье и жопа воробей...
Ancient Klingon Battlecry
Dewbacca
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by Dewbacca »

Time or scheduling issues. Me and a couple of friends who used to host LAN games wanted to try out the new stability... but we're old now with families and responsibilities. Plus many miles between us, getting together for a brief game might be possible, but not the extended games.

Play by mail allows us to enjoy longer games with more complexity in SMAC (Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri), each player can take his turn when he has a moment, no rushing folks waiting over your shoulder like Hotseat... pass it on to wait patiently for the next player to have free time to give it full attention.

My 3 yr old doesn't seem to acknowledge when Daddy needs to declare war on the Ferengi so they can't trade without my benefit, and other complex strategic minutia. Thus she does not allow me the focus to conquer a MP universe, thus I do not waste anyone else's time trying to arrange one.

PBEM would be a viable option for me, where the others are but a dream.
ruthlessferengi

Post by ruthlessferengi »

i know where u r coming from.... still, an hour or two here and there, over a month, you got yourself a game... i played crazy epic long protracted games with gentle over a month, in many many sessions... what fun:L)
Relevance is a post hoc phenomenon

На безптичье и жопа воробей...
Ancient Klingon Battlecry
Wei Tu Fat
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Post by Wei Tu Fat »

Sorry for the super necro post, but would this be possible if there was a mod that resolved all the combat automatically?

I'm not 100% familiar with the game yet, but are there any other aspects of the game that aren't done asynchronously? Can those be modded?
slickrcbd
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by slickrcbd »

There is such a function built in to the game. Force "tactical combat options" to be "automatic" instead of manual for any such "play by e-mail" game.

Return to “General Chat”