BotF on Ultra-wide 21:9 2560 x 1080 :-)

You can talk about anything. (please read forum rules before posting)

Moderator: thunderchero

cleverwise
Captain
Captain

BotF on Ultra-wide 21:9 2560 x 1080 :-)

Post by cleverwise »

Okay modders time to get BotF to play well on this monster:

http://www.asus.com/us/Monitors_Projectors/MX299Q/

;-)
Hailing frequencies close,

Jeremy
Whether you rise or fall depends on... you!
thunderchero
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Location: On a three month training mission, in command of the USS Valiant.

Re: BotF on Ultra-wide 21:9 2560 x 1080 :-)

Post by thunderchero »

you have got to be joking......

thunderchero
KrazeeXXL
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by KrazeeXXL »

one monitor? that's weak. Better something like this:

;)

all jokes aside. I remember when I fired up BotF after 5 years or so again. I had this huge 21" 100 pound monitor and 800x600 was so humongous to watch at. It took me quite a bit of time to adapt.

What I'd really like to see, is a bigger map. Or at least more zoom steps. The devs of M.A.X. did a great job with ZOOM.

Honestly, the entire GUi is so buggy. It's always been a pain to adjust the research points. Then the odd crashes with the buttons for whatever reasons...
cleverwise
Captain
Captain

Post by cleverwise »

Well TC yes and no. I don't honestly expect the current BotF at that resolution but it would be cool! That resolution and monitor would display a large map at small view very nicely! :-)

@KrazeeXXL, on a single monitor 29" isn't weak. No break in the picture for a single screen and panoramic at that! 16:9? That's weak 21:9 oh yeah! So if you want multiple monitors how about six of those 29" panoramic monitors! ;-) Of course most standard graphics card can't drive six 29" monitors.

Jeremy
KrazeeXXL
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by KrazeeXXL »

haha, you're funny.

When you have such a huge battlestation as the guy above, you don't need to upgrade to 29".

Wouldn't make sense. Unless you sit like 5 meters or so away from it ;)

You get 3 really good 24" monitors for the price of only one 29" monitor ;)

But there are single graphics cards out there which could power that. But you had to pay like 15k bucks or even more for such a beast ;)

I'd rather go with 3x7970. They're pretty cheap right now and they love 2560 resolution. You get an OCed one from Asus with two fans for ~250€ here. When you buy everything together, you might even get a discount and just pay 1.500 bucks for the whole setup ;)

And about the black bars in between. You just notice that in the beginning. We adapt very quickly to things like that.

I remember as my huge 21" Sony Trinitron died. I didn't had any money and was lucky to get an old, tiny 15" from my Dad. It wasn't much but at least I could use my computer. The way back from 21" to 15" was very hard in the beginning. But it didn't take me very long to get accustomed to it again. As I finally bought my 24" (which isn't weak :P), I was like whoa. It was so huge in comparison. It almost sucked me in, so big was it. Not to talk about the great colors and everything. I used the 15" a bit later and man, I thought: how could you use that thing for so long? Screen totally blurry and dark and so on...

Everything gets better and bigger. I'll just leave that here: ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WK76j8sdVaw
cleverwise
Captain
Captain

Post by cleverwise »

Well I agree that the bigger the monitor the further back you need to be comfortable. But heck if you want that giant of a screen just buy a 55"+ TV and connect that to your system or better yet one of those DLP projectors used in home theaters on a white screen! ;-)

There are many 27"+ monitors but what is nice about that 29" monitor is it is panoramic. That means many dual monitor setups could work quite well on that single monitor. I totally agree we quickly adjust to whatever is in front of us regardless of the size or the bezel. I do like the trend of modern monitors reducing the bezel size though.

Actually I have seen some good $400 to $500 cards, especially from Asus, that can drive six monitors. Of course you won't get as high a frame rate as driving a single monitor and again where that 29" panoramic design would excel.

Jeremy
KrazeeXXL
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by KrazeeXXL »

you like ASUS? you might want to check out this article about a new 4k monitor:

http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews ... us_pq321q/

They're pushing the limits. lol, I've watched too much of that presentation xD
cleverwise
Captain
Captain

Post by cleverwise »

I have been running Asus equipment for well over a decade in all kinds of custom built systems, bought Asus laptops, and have many friends and family with Asus products too like laptops, routers, desktops, video cards, etc. Their equipment has been very good. I still have ten year old systems running solid on Asus mainboard backbones that run like new. Of course they aren't speedy by today's standards but after ten years of almost 24/7 usage as servers and such they are running strong.

It takes a lot to run a 4K monitor. The future though. :-)

Jeremy
Chaelvin
Cadet 3rd Year
Cadet 3rd Year

Post by Chaelvin »

thunderchero wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:25 pm you have got to be joking......

thunderchero
OMG I LOL'd at this so hardcore.

Return to “General Chat”