Forum Pulse: Your Preferred Web Browser

You can talk about anything. (please read forum rules before posting)

Moderator: thunderchero

cleverwise
Captain
Captain

Forum Pulse: Your Preferred Web Browser

Post by cleverwise »

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The idea behind the "Forum Pulse" series is to get a better understanding of those that make up this community.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Topic: What web browser (and version if desired) do you currently use to access this forum?

Lead Off:

Desktops and Laptops: Comodo Dragon
Smartphone: Chrome
Hailing frequencies close,

Jeremy
Whether you rise or fall depends on... you!
thunderchero
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Location: On a three month training mission, in command of the USS Valiant.

Re: Forum Pulse: Your Preferred Web Browser

Post by thunderchero »

I am still old school

Desktops and Laptops: internet explorer
Smartphone: what is a smartphone? :roll:

thunderchero
Flocke
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by Flocke »

Firefox, but hey, make that a poll or two ;)
Have a so called smartphone but it isn't smart and I don't use it for webbrowsing.
Martok
Rear-Admiral
Rear-Admiral

Post by Martok »

Firefox.

I will never own a smartphone.
"Evil is easy, and has infinite forms." -- Pascal
Tethys
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by Tethys »

Torch is probably best one Ive found. Built in torrent access, music access, etc. SRWare Iron is a GREAT alternative (both based on Chromium) to Chrome, as we all know about Google and their data mining. Iron doesnt have that crap ;)

Ah yes, and Firefox for a backup.
Not for the weak of heart...
Galaxies MOD v0.4.0 <--- GALM/Galaxies Mod latest version
cleverwise
Captain
Captain

Post by cleverwise »

@Martok> Why never a smartphone?

@Tethys> I hear you on the data mining with Google. That's why I like Comodo Dragon. Its Chrome based so all chrome plugins and themes work with but Comodo, being a security company, removes all the tracking and spying plus adds some extra security code into the browser. Firefox seems to be a dying browser which is unfortunate.

Jeremy
Martok
Rear-Admiral
Rear-Admiral

Post by Martok »

cleverwise wrote:@Martok> Why never a smartphone?

Numerous reasons, although the following ones are those that immediately come to mind:

1.) Quite frankly, I'm kind of on the poor side, and can't really justify the cost.
2.) I don't like the thought of being constantly hooked into technology like that (a little too "Borg-ish", if you will ;) ).
3.) I can't f**king stand touch screens on phones. Have not had good experiences with them.

Any one of those reasons by themselves would be enough for me to keep away from smartphones, so you can imagine my lack of enthusiasm when you put them all together...
"Evil is easy, and has infinite forms." -- Pascal
cleverwise
Captain
Captain

Post by cleverwise »

Fair enough. They do have some disadvantages but many advantages too. If they aren't for you I understand.

Jeremy
ruthlessferengi
Multiple Tournament Champion
Multiple Tournament Champion

Post by ruthlessferengi »

i find chrome is better but it is loaded with advertizing crap i can't seem to get rid off ( pop up videos etc)... smartphone - well i have steam and yahoo msng on my droid4 and, having a very busy irregular schedule, i can always reach out and check on who is up for an mp game at the odd time/short notice to the peeps I play with. indispensible... can't leave without one! :)
Relevance is a post hoc phenomenon

На безптичье и жопа воробей...
Ancient Klingon Battlecry
KrazeeXXL
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by KrazeeXXL »

I'm still using FF. The updates are a bit annoying every now and then. They tend to hide old features and useful addons sometimes get outdated or often not updated at all, ending up incompatible. -.-

Got Comodo dragon installed through Comodo Internet Security but ain't using it. Got no time for that. :P

thunderchero wrote: Desktops and Laptops: internet explorer

thunderchero wrote:Smartphone: what is a smartphone? :roll:
some insecure new gen cell-phone with touch-screen, the youth uses in any free second, even while taking a shit. Also a new cause for a lot of deaths, related to car accidents.

cleverwise wrote: Its Chrome based so all chrome plugins and themes work with but Comodo, being a security company, removes all the tracking and spying plus adds some extra security code into the browser.
in yo dreams :P

That's a lot of trust in something which you can get for free. I know, it's pretty slim but it shouldn't be a problem for a multi-billion dollar company as google to implement any backdoors.

Martok wrote: I can't f**king stand touch screens on phones. Have not had good experiences with them.
I never had problems with touching the screen but with the touch screen. Dropped the phone once and it broke. I even got lucky with just paying 80 bucks for replacing it. They wanted 200 in another store lol.

You know, it's really fun in the beginning. So many free programs, games and shit. It's pretty much incredible but gets old very fast. I'm using it mostly for news. I don't watch regular news, so I use twitter on it and get informed about the stuff, I'm really interested in. It's really great for that. But it's dangerously insecure. Especially when it's about free apps and/or updates.
anjel
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by anjel »

chrome

it´s fast and you can see every javascript or css3 animations

EDIT: forgot to mention, Dolphin browser for android phones, the best
cleverwise
Captain
Captain

Post by cleverwise »

KrazeeXXL wrote: Also a new cause for a lot of deaths, related to car accidents.
I was recently rear ended by someone messing with their smartphone. It is a major distraction for a lot of people.

KrazeeXXL wrote: That's a lot of trust in something which you can get for free. I know, it's pretty slim but it shouldn't be a problem for a multi-billion dollar company as google to implement any backdoors.
Yes it is easy for Google to build in back doors but Comodo, also a major company, strips out a lot of that code. That's the reason I like it. Does Comodo miss any Google spy code? Well it is possible, of course, however Comodo removes a lot of it. It is far better to run the free Comodo Dragon than straight Chrome when it comes to spying. Plus, as mentioned, since Comodo is a security company they have experience Google doesn't. Yes Google has experience fighting hackers and running firewalls but Comodo makes A/Vs, Firewalls, etc and they have some additional knowledge. Nothing is perfect.

Jeremy
KrazeeXXL
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by KrazeeXXL »

cleverwise wrote:but Comodo, also a major company, strips out a lot of that code.

source?
cleverwise
Captain
Captain

Post by cleverwise »

KrazeeXXL wrote:
cleverwise wrote:but Comodo, also a major company, strips out a lot of that code.

source?
Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comodo_dragon

In addition, the following Google Chrome features are removed or disabled in Dragon:[7]
Google user tracking
Automatic access to Google Search on startup for users with Google as default search engine[8][9]
Google-hosted error pages when a server is not present
Automatic address bar search suggestions
Bug tracking system, which sends information about crashes or errors

Source: http://www.comodo.com/home/browsers-too ... rowser.php .:. Features tab

Comodo Dragon Security:

Has privacy enhancements that surpass those in Chromium's technology
Has Domain Validation technology that identifies and segregates superior SSL certificates from inferior ones
Stops cookies and other Web spies
Prevents all Browser download tracking to ensure your privacy

~~~~

Also Comodo runs a DNS system for Dragon that helps users stay clear of malicious sites, however I personally don't use that feature. The point here is they alter Chrome's straight code.

Jeremy
KrazeeXXL
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by KrazeeXXL »

thx for the source. :up:

disabling google user tracking sounds to be the most interesting feature next to domain identification.

the other features are kinda lala imo.
cleverwise wrote:Also Comodo runs a DNS system for Dragon that helps users stay clear of malicious sites, however I personally don't use that feature
I used that at some time but don't anymore. I don't really see big benefits from it tbh. I guess it can have some advantages when you surf around on a lot of unknown/probably unsafe pages.

I'll check that Dragon out at some time. Good to know all kinds of browsers which are used. And a lot of people are using chrome atm.

Return to “General Chat”